Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Default Re: PSA: Please read if you own a Winchester Safe . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post
    I admire your ingenuity, but electrifying the safe sounds like a potential fire hazard. You'd also be forced to remove at least some of the fire-block material insulating the safe to gain access to the shell from the inside, which would limit the safe's ability to protect your belongings in the event of a real fire. That said, it could make for a pretty interesting project. The relocker can be easily disabled, so it's really up to the individual owner if they want that functionality.

Well, Winchester is half honest and half full of shit. The 2018 MY of this safe has a number of major variations from my 2014 version. The most obvious are the lower price and switch from 12 1.25" locking bolts (7 active & 5 stationary) to only 7 1.0" locking bolts (4 active & 3 stationary). It's also over 100lbs lighter . . . I believe they switched from a 12 gauge body to a 14 gauge body. On the plus side, Winchester appears to have changed their warranty policy from one year to limited-lifetime. That said, the other notable change is the keypad and locking mechanism. Both the 3710 keypad and LG4200 locking mechanism are now obsolete, so that's not what's installed in your safe. I've never disassembled the current model year, so I can't say for certain what parts are installed from the factory.

Winchester is completely full of shit in stating that you can't replace the lock. Personally, I think the SafeLogic Xtreme is one the best safe locks currently out there, and they have an excellent install video as well:

https://www.securamsys.com/safelogic-xtreme-c1vk0

Thanks for the feedback..I think a manual lock like the S&G 6730 might be my best option.

I'll take pictures when I take the door panel off..It will be interesting to see this one of a kind can't be replaced lock system..

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I bought a used Remington Premier 25 safe with a 1996 build date, for I think it was right about $1000 (delivered) on Craigslist.

It's made by Liberty and has a standard-looking S&G combo lock on it that is well worn - a lot of the gold plating on the dial is worn off - but it works great. I had a local locksmith assign a new combo for it and make me a pair of day-keys for it for under $100. Never had any issues with it in the 5 years I've had it.

It's got 16 active 1" lock bolts, and Liberty tells me that it is made from 7 gauge steel and weighs 980 pounds empty.

Seems like a better deal than those new Winchester safes (:

There are so many good used safes available for relatively cheap, there's virtually no excuse for buying a new shitty safe from a big box store, like this sub-400 pound piece of shit:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...SABEgLWSfD_BwE

That is the safe I just bought..I have two other seriously secure safes.. Got this one for expendables and ammo..But I agree with your premise......

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
    I'll take pictures when I take the door panel off..It will be interesting to see this one of a kind can't be replaced lock system..
    According to the Q&A on the Winchester product by TSC, the lock is non-standard. They address this multiple times.

• "No, the lock that is on the safe Is the only one that will fit on the safe."
    • "No, the lock that the TS-19 has is the only lock that will fit that safe."
    • "It does not have a standard footprint and can only function with the lock it comes with." (lock footprint)
    • "No, because the footprint is not standard, and can only function with the lock it comes with."
    • "No, the only lock that can be on that safe is the one that it comes with." (twice)
    • "The answer is The TS-19-11 has a TS-8 keypad which is only used by Tractor Supply."
    • "If you are referring to the TS-19, no it does not come with an S&G lock and it cannot be converted to a dial."

All of those answers were provided within the past year....for the TS-19-11 safe. Maybe the answers are different for other Winchester safes, as clearly aspects of the TS-19-11 were specified by TSC (I don't recall which Winchester safe you have).

It seems pretty clear that even if you CAN replace the lock with something else - it's not intended to be the case with TSC Winchester safes. Personally, that little bit of uncertainty in the back of my head as to whether I will be able to get into my safe when I want to is not worth any potential cost savings over something more reliable.
    Last edited by free; September 11th, 2018 at 01:03 PM.

(Allegheny County)

There are so many good used safes available for relatively cheap, there's virtually no excuse for buying a new shitty safe from a big box store, like this sub-400 pound piece of shit:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...SABEgLWSfD_BwE
    Just as a point of comparison...I bought a used coin safe from a bank. The cabinet is about 5’ long by 2’ deep by 30” tall. The removable doors ALONE Weigh a combined 320 pounds. That’s just the doors! Each of the two doors is maybe 15” wide by 24” tall at most.

How much steel can there be in that big ass Winchester safe that weighs less than 400 pounds?

According to the Q&A on the Winchester product by TSC, the lock is non-standard. They address this multiple times.

• "No, the lock that is on the safe Is the only one that will fit on the safe."
    • "No, the lock that the TS-19 has is the only lock that will fit that safe."
    • "It does not have a standard footprint and can only function with the lock it comes with." (lock footprint)
    • "No, because the footprint is not standard, and can only function with the lock it comes with."
    • "No, the only lock that can be on that safe is the one that it comes with." (twice)
    • "The answer is The TS-19-11 has a TS-8 keypad which is only used by Tractor Supply."
    • "If you are referring to the TS-19, no it does not come with an S&G lock and it cannot be converted to a dial."

All of those answers were provided within the past year....for the TS-19-11 safe. Maybe the answers are different for other Winchester safes, as clearly aspects of the TS-19-11 were specified by TSC (I don't recall which Winchester safe you have).

It seems pretty clear that even if you CAN replace the lock with something else - it's not intended to be the case with TSC Winchester safes. Personally, that little bit of uncertainty in the back of my head as to whether I will be able to get into my safe when I want to is not worth any potential cost savings over something more reliable.

Being the FNG I don't want to step on any toes but Bionicman seems to think otherwise.. Also as a long time machinist, can't doesn't exist. It might be impossible for the average joe but I don't even consider it a challenge..I just need to take the inner panel off and check it out. I have a year to play with it...I'm naturally lazy so was hoping someone had covered the same ground.

Thanks for your input...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
    Being the FNG I don't want to step on any toes but Bionicman seems to think otherwise.. Also as a long time machinist, can't doesn't exist. It might be impossible for the average joe but I don't even consider it a challenge..I just need to take the inner panel off and check it out. I have a year to play with it...I'm naturally lazy so was hoping someone had covered the same ground.

Thanks for your input...

Like I said, I haven't physically disassembled the 2018 MY, and it does have a different keypad from previous versions, but I very sincerely doubt that Winchester used a unique mounting pattern that's different from all of their other safes and dozens of other manufacturers for the keypad on just the TS series. That would be a financially stupid and just dick thing to do. The company's responses are likely just to deter people from modifying their products.

Like I said, I haven't physically disassembled the 2018 MY, and it does have a different keypad from previous versions, but I very sincerely doubt that Winchester used a unique mounting pattern that's different from all of their other safes and dozens of other manufacturers for the keypad on just the TS series. That would be a financially stupid and just dick thing to do. The company's responses are likely just to deter people from modifying their products.
    I wholeheartedly agree..To say they were disingenuous would be kind. There are reviews on Amazon where people have installed the S&G 6730..For TSC to totally change the mounting footprint on lock and keypad would be exactly as you said..I could build my own safe but this will do just fine for what its intended to protect..Actually its really a good safe for the money...

Winchester is completely full of shit in stating that you can't replace the lock. Personally, I think the SafeLogic Xtreme is one the best safe locks currently out there, and they have an excellent install video as well:

https://www.securamsys.com/safelogic-xtreme-c1vk0
    I can dig it. Love the concept of that lock. $400 is a bit salty, but seems like a proper solution if you want the best of both worlds.

Finally made contact with S&G tech. Said I should have no problem installing a 6730..

New here but I have basically the same problem. I forgot my combo. Ya stupid me, lol. I found this on youtube. A great video showing replacement of electronic to dial lock. BTW, He is doing it on a Winchester Safe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC7i815Dde8

I have 2 of these safes. 1 I bought new at Tractor Supply and the other I got off of craigslist for $250. Both are the 24 gun Winchesters. I can use my good safe to open and look at the mechanicals of the door locking mechanism.
    Last edited by goodwinm; November 10th, 2018 at 01:56 AM.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast