Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default PIETTA VS UBERTI 1851 NAVY

Hello All, long time listener, first time caller. (not really, but it sounds cool)

I did a precursory search on this and found it to be lacking to my needs. I am going to purchase a Replica Colt 1851 Navy. I have an idea in my head already, but I want to get a few opinions before I pull the trigger...so to speak.
    So, could you answer a few questions for me?

1. Do you or have you owned a Pietta 1851 or an Uberti 1851?
    2. If both, which did you prefer and why?
    3. If none, but you "know a guy who does", what is your second hand opinion?
    4. Are there any other brands that you know of that are not actually manufactured by either of these two? (Colt's 70's version was actually made in italy by...Pietta I think...not sure...one or the other)

I've done some pretty good research so far, but I'm not looking for first hand reviews now. Thanks for any assistance

P.S. Definitely dead set on the 1851 Navy, not interested in any other model. Thanks.

(Berks County)

Default Re: PIETTA VS UBERTI 1851 NAVY

I have the Pietta 1851 with brass frame. One of my favorite pistols to shoot.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(York County)

I have three Pietta 1851 guns. No problems with them aside from once when I loaned an idiot my sherrif's model at a reenactment event and he fanned the action and damaged the notches on the hammer as a result.

I also have a couple of Uberti products, just not any of their percussion revolvers.

My take on comparison: both are well made of ordinance grade steels.

The BIG difference is whose name is on the retail level. It is my understanding that Pietta & Uberti would sell partly finished guns to various US retail outfits for final finishing, branding and resale. Depending on who ultimately sold the gun, you'll see lower or higher level of fit and finish.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    I have three Pietta 1851 guns. No problems with them aside from once when I loaned an idiot my sherrif's model at a reenactment event and he fanned the action and damaged the notches on the hammer as a result.

I also have a couple of Uberti products, just not any of their percussion revolvers.

My take on comparison: both are well made of ordinance grade steels.

The BIG difference is whose name is on the retail level. It is my understanding that Pietta & Uberti would sell partly finished guns to various US retail outfits for final finishing, branding and resale. Depending on who ultimately sold the gun, you'll see lower or higher level of fit and finish.

This is partially correct. The final product is dependent on the importer's specifications. See the link below for more information:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-710462.html
    Last edited by LisaA; February 20th, 2015 at 08:57 AM.

(York County)

LisaA: thanks for the link. It really adds to, rather than changes the point I made. Some US retailers (such as CVA for instance) are very lacking in final fit/finish. In regards to springs: One of the best out of the box guns I ever bought was a low end, matte finished Pietta Colt SAA clone. The gun has a silky smooth hammer and trigger out of the box. Its nicer than guns I've spent way more on, so go figure...

As a matter of course I generally upgrade springs on my single actions since as it has been pointed out over and over that these guns are faithful to the original 19th century designs and exhibit the flaws inherent in the design as originally made.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've noticed that most guns made today (esp. handguns) can benefit with a set of high grade springs to replace what came from the factory.
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; February 20th, 2015 at 10:34 AM.

Either one is good. I had the best luck with remington caps.

Best thing is any part can be enhanced/upgraded without a whole lot of $$ involved.

I preferred the uberti , but that's just apples and oranges.

he fanned the action and damaged the notches on the hammer as a result.

this sticks out like a sore thumb on any single action revolver. Theres places that can work your gun so you can 'fan' it easier but, i never liked my hands anywhere near the top of any revolver. Let that shit stay in the movies.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you