Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Gun was turned into the police, how can I get it back?

Quote Originally Posted by skeelo View Post
    The officer was relieved that I saved him a ton of paperwork
    I don't understand this. Doing paperwork pays the same as shooting dogs or beating the shit out of people - and without the risk of being bitten or being shot. You'd think it would be a good way to spend one's time.

(Bucks County)

Not to sound too much like an ass here, but i think anyone who lost their gun in that manner should not be allowed to get it back (complete lack of responsibility)....probably should not have a LTCF either...

(Cumberland County)

</thread>

Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    Not to sound too much like an ass here,
    Too late.

but i think anyone who lost their gun in that manner should not be allowed to get it back (complete lack of responsibility)....probably should not have a LTCF either...
    Something falls out of its designated location, and that's a "complete lack of responsibility"? Really? That's all it takes? That's right up there with leaving your gun on the dash of your car while you run into the local Stop n' Rob to get cigarettes?

I had a "close call" once - wasn't really, but SEEMED like it. I was on a motorcycle trip and I stopped at a local Stop n' Rob to get gas and take a dump. I did both. Now, when I take a dump, I have a habit of removing my pistol and putting it down on the toilet paper dispenser, hanging it on the hook on the back of the door if there is one (along with my jacket), or some other convenient location - because I don't want it falling out of my holster onto the floor, some pervert looking under the stall and seeing a gun (and maybe grabbing it), or whatever. Anyway, I finish my business and leave.

I'm riding down the road, not very far from the Stop n' Rob and I'm feeling for my pistol. Right there, right-side, IWB. Because I'm paranoid. I know I put it back there - but I check several times anyway. Don't feel it! I'm thinking, "holy shit - I left it in the john!!" So I turn around at the next light, start riding back - feeling for my pistol - thinking about what I'm going to say when I get back there. On the way back, I feel my piece - right where it was supposed to be. Was there the whole time. Certainly gave me some things to think about.

Shit does happen. Just because it does, doesn't mean one exercised a "complete lack of responsibility".
    Last edited by free; February 20th, 2015 at 04:31 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I went down to the police station today, apparently the officer I was trying to get a hold of does not even work at that zone. They said the gun has been sent to the crime lab and there's not a thing I can do until they're done processing it. Once that's done they said I'll need to go to Common Pleas Court to get it back as SteelCityK9Cop stated. Honestly I'll be surprised if I ever see it again, lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Shit does happen. Just because it does, doesn't mean one exercised a "complete lack of responsibility".
    Could not have said it better!
    Last edited by skeelo; February 20th, 2015 at 07:04 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I would do whatever to get it back just on principle.

It's lost property, just like any other lost property. If you can prove its yours, you should not have to put up with not getting it back.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Too late.

Something falls out of its designated location, and that's a "complete lack of responsibility"? Really? That's all it takes? That's right up there with leaving your gun on the dash of your car while you run into the local Stop n' Rob to get cigarettes?

I had a "close call" once - wasn't really, but SEEMED like it. I was on a motorcycle trip and I stopped at a local Stop n' Rob to get gas and take a dump. I did both. Now, when I take a dump, I have a habit of removing my pistol and putting it down on the toilet paper dispenser, hanging it on the hook on the back of the door if there is one (along with my jacket), or some other convenient location - because I don't want it falling out of my holster onto the floor, some pervert looking under the stall and seeing a gun (and maybe grabbing it), or whatever. Anyway, I finish my business and leave.

I'm riding down the road, not very far from the Stop n' Rob and I'm feeling for my pistol. Right there, right-side, IWB. Because I'm paranoid. I know I put it back there - but I check several times anyway. Don't feel it! I'm thinking, "holy shit - I left it in the john!!" So I turn around at the next light, start riding back - feeling for my pistol - thinking about what I'm going to say when I get back there. On the way back, I feel my piece - right where it was supposed to be. Was there the whole time. Certainly gave me some things to think about.

Actually losing your firearm is a very big deal, it's not your car keys, your wallet of your favorite Chapstick. While carrying everyone needs to be highly aware of the location of our weapon at all times. Shit happening can result in some gang banger getting a new toy to kill some inoscent or some kid finds it and does a quick trigger pull and kills another patron at the restaurant. Forgive me all to hell but I take weapons security and accountability very seriously. Retention is very important to the point of an idiot cord for those who get separated from their weapons. This isn't a matter to be treated lightly, EVER.
    Last edited by DennisH82; February 20th, 2015 at 09:21 PM.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    Actually losing your firearm is a very big deal, it's not your car keys,
    cars kill hundreds of times more people then firearms here. maybe you should keep better track of your keys for it? some criminal could get it and decide now that they've got wheels it's time to run over some people!

giving someone a tool isn't going to make them commit a crime. They are going to commit that crime because they are a criminal. Even if you accidentally armed them, if their intent is to harm someone they are going to try to do it with or without your help.

I'm 100% with Free here. It's your property, get it back on principle. Also, accidents happen, it was found and no crime spree's commenced..

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by marketermac View Post
    cars kill hundreds of times more people then firearms here. maybe you should keep better track of your keys for it? some criminal could get it and decide now that they've got wheels it's time to run over some people!

giving someone a tool isn't going to make them commit a crime. They are going to commit that crime because they are a criminal. Even if you accidentally armed them, if their intent is to harm someone they are going to try to do it with or without your help.

I'm 100% with Free here. It's your property, get it back on principle. Also, accidents happen, it was found and no crime spree's commenced..
    When you can carry our car in your wasteland or leave it on a seat in a returns then you comparison may be valid. Any one that thinks leaving a firearm on a seat in a restaurant or not knowing when the last time you were sure you were in control of your weapon is OK is part of the problem. The rest of your post isn't worth addressing since it doesn't make what the OP did any less wrong.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    When you can carry our car in your wasteland or leave it on a seat in a returns then you comparison may be valid.
    All of these things are easily done with keys? Most cars made in the last 15 years or so have a fob that can even help whomever isn't familiar with your car find it by remotely sounding the horn?

The same could be said of pocket knives, sporting equipment, and anything else someone could use as a weapon. Criminals will seek out tools to commit crimes. Someone accidentally coming into contact with something that could be used in the commission of a crime isn't instantly going to turn into a criminal.

My comparison is meant to be ludicrous because it is. People misplace dangerous items all the time without ill intentions.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast