Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Spend my money on a (mostly) PA hunting rifle!

Anyway...

I am looking to purchase a rifle for hunting buck and bear in PA. I am willing to spend up to $1500 for the rifle alone. Optics will come later. Here are the criteria:

Use: Primarily used in PA for whitetail and black bear. Perhaps elk in the long future? Only range time would be to sight in the optics once a year.
    Caliber: .308 -- I thought this an ideal jack-of-all-trades round without too much recoil for my 5'7" 160lb frame.
    Action: Bolt
    Range: Almost always under 100 yds but should be able to reach out to 200 yds. I am usually in brush hunkered down or on a push.
    Weight: Something light to average for those treks up and down our sometimes steep hollows.
    Barrel: Short to average (22"?)
    Length of Pull: Low to average. I do not have orangutang arms.
    Stock material: Unsure. It always seems to pour down rain all day when I am hunting and thought a composite stock would hold up better?
    Condition: New but will consider an upper echelon used rifle if it fits all my needs.

Fitting the rifle to me is most important along with a buttery smooth action and great accuracy without having to tinker too much (adjustable triggers excluded.)
    I know there are dozens of cheaper and accurate choices out there that will drive tacks all day at those ranges. I, however, wish to have a great rifle I can be proud to hand down. I own a few H&K handguns and wish that my rifle is on par quality-wise with the pistols I know so well.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations and time.
    "Some say the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. We'll I disagree with that. I say the best weapon is the one you only have to fire once! Thats how dad did it, that's how America does it.. And its worked out good so far!"

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Spend my money on a (mostly) PA hunting rifle!

Sako Roughtech Pro @ $1,500

(Westmoreland County)

OR

Weatherby Mark V Fibermark @ $1,500

(Adams County)

200 yards and under anything Remington 700, not really a far shot for 308 in a bolt gun. In a few months Magpul will have a stock out for $250 that will allow you to adjust to your fit.

Since you do not want to tinker with the rifle and you want smooth action.

I'd say your choices are Tikka/Sako or Steyr. You cannot beat the action on Tikka/Sako in a factory rifle. You will fall in love once you manipulate the action.

As far as stock goes...I'm a synthetic fan all the way. Wood looks nice, but it's not durable compared to synthetic.

The 308 is a fine choice, but I'd probably lean towards 30/06 due to shooting heavier projectiles and have better velocities. I know you are slim, so consider getting a brake or better yet...get yourself a suppressor. The suppressor will not only reduce sound, but it will also reduce recoil as well.

Get a Tikka T3 and a suppressor and you will be in business.

I'd pass on Remington since they are having some QC issues.

(Clearfield County)

There are a lot of good choices and the 308 is a good round. A wood laminate stock is very durable, looks good but is heavier than a hollow fill synthetic. I like practical but it is also nice to have something unique. I have synthetic stocked rifles and they work fine but they have a ho-hum look to them. This is a 308 I put together about 20 years ago and, as the photos show in the 100 yard targets, it still shoots even when it is snowing. I shot a 5-shot group made a sight adjustment and then another 5-shot group. All well under 1". Good luck with your search.

(Cumberland County)

There are MANY options that fit your criteria. Ruger, Remington, Winchester, Savage, Mossberg, etc. are all good options. Most factory bolt guns are no worse than sub 2 minute guns. Some are advertised as sub 1 minute. A 2 minute gun means that on your gun's best day, if you do everything perfectly, you're looking at a 2" group at 100 yds, 4" at 200 yds. For most hunting applications, this is more than enough. If you want a 1 hole wonder @ 500 yds, it only costs $$.

No matter which rifle you get, make sure you spend a few extra $$ and get stainless steel on a synthetic stock. It's your hunting gun. It's going to get rained on, dropped into the mud, splashed with the blood of your quarry, etc. You're going to use the barrel to determine if that stream is only inches deep, or more than a foot deep. You'll hunt on days that are a sunny 70°F and 60% humidity, you'll hunt on days that are 5°F with flurries. In short, this gun is going to take a beating.

Stainless steel doesn't care. Just wipe it down - 3 days later if that's the first chance you get. The synthetic stock will take a lot of abuse and will not care about temperature, humidity, rain, direct sunlight, etc. It will be more stable in varying weather conditions.

Happy hunting.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

http://montanarifleco.com/

That's where my money would go.

I'd go with a 6.5 round, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Bucks County)

Ruger Gunsite Scout.

It's way under your $1500 limit and will easily reach out to 200 yards.
    It's short and light and works real well if you have to climb a mountain or crash through the brush.
    You can leave the open sights, mount a scout scope or red dot, or mount a traditional scope on the rail.

The only issue might be fitting the stock to your frame. They do have a pretty short length of pull though.

(Allegheny County)

Thank you for all of the advice! Please keep your suggestions coming!
    "Some say the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. We'll I disagree with that. I say the best weapon is the one you only have to fire once! Thats how dad did it, that's how America does it.. And its worked out good so far!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast