Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Your favorite 7.62x51 battle rifle.

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • SCAR

30 22.56%
  • M1A

44 33.08%
  • FAL

28 21.05%
  • DPMS G2

3 2.26%
  • KAC SR25

6 4.51%
  • Sig 716

7 5.26%
  • HK MR762

5 3.76%
  • PTR 91

11 8.27%
  • G3

10 7.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: The best modern 7.62X51 battle rifle.

I love my M1 Garand and CETME (and want a FAL). I can stand on a firing line on a sunny day and hang with anything that goes bang, but the SCAR and AR10 platforms offer the rail-estate for readily mounting optics, lights, lasers, etc that meets the demands of the current military.

I went to a Patrol Rifle Challenge Shoot and my AR-15 had issues and I ended up using the CETME that I brought as a back up. I hadn't practiced with it so I was fumbling around with the mag changes for awhile, plus they can be tough to seat on a closed bolt sometimes. I've seen gone back and modified any magazines that are excessively tight on the mag catch. Anyways, here's some video of me running it: http://youtu.be/VSgJs7NOusY

Moral of the story is, I think the CETME, Garand, etc can still be wicked battle rifles, but they just can't easily jump to the next level to meat the ever expanding needs of the current military, which is obviously why they don't use those rifles. The G3 type rifles and FAL are still used by a lot of governments without big money, and that is a testament to their combat capability.
    Last edited by JoshIronshaft; February 15th, 2015 at 12:03 PM.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks everybody. I've added a poll. I've included some of the older rifles as I'm sensing at few of you would go that way. Looks like I might have to make room for a couple of rifles. The FAL has always interested me. I need to get out and handle a couple of the newer offerings. So far no love or hate for the M1A which I find interesting.

(Washington County)

Cool Re: The best modern 7.62X51 battle rifle.

Ahh yeah, my new toy is taking the lead!

Just finished barrel break in and sent the trigger out to get lightened up to as low as the guy can get it. Waiting on a new scope to show and then test it at some long range. Was seeing 1.75moa w tul 150gr in it already!
    Last edited by Dont4get2doubletap; February 15th, 2015 at 12:46 PM.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I have been doing research on the Sig Sauer 716 and it looks like a very high quality piece. It's a toss up between their 5.56 piston 516 and the 7.62 piston 716 for me. I've reloaded 5.56 for 30 years and have everything I need and would have to gather up components to reload 7.62 but then I'd have a more effective rifle with a more effective cartridge.

I have one. It's very nice, I've had no issues and it's very accurate. Probably the only negative is the quad rail which is kind of dated technology and makes it a little heavier than it should be. The piston system also adds a little weight I think compared to a direct gas gun. Very solid gun overall for the price. It's middle ground between the expensive AR-10 type rifles like the LMT and the cheap DPMS type rifles.

Reloading for it and other 308 rifles is no problem. I always use the CCI #34 milspec primers and have used readily available IMR 4895 or Win 748 powder. For that rifle specifically I made some rounds with 168g Sierra Match Kings and they worked a treat.

(Wayne County)

The Mk17MAC10 mod 3 block II is actually the bestest.

I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

Quote Originally Posted by Splittiebus66 View Post
    The Mk17MAC10 mod 3 block II is actually the bestest.

But how do you charge the MAC10?!

(Westmoreland County)

I'd prefer a shotgun myself.

(Wayne County)

I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    I had a chance to shoot an L1A1 years ago while stationed in England courtesy of the RAF. I liked it, range time only so no real feel for how it would work in harsh conditions. Thanks for the video.

Reliability in real world use is the top priority. Not looking for match grade accuracy. A rifle that a reasonably good rifleman could hit man sized targets out to 500 yards.

ETA: Not too concerned with weight and size. Not interested in a 23 pound machinegun though.
    The FAL has a good rep overall, but what I have found is there is a wide variance in parts and receivers and you need the knowledge to put one together right. Also they've never been inherently accurate rifles which is why they were never widely used as designated marksman or sniper rifles. I've also found cost wise to get a "good one", you start creeping up above $1500 and beyond and that starts to get in the range of getting a modern SCAR or AR. Even one of the well known FAL gunsmiths out there ditched a lot of his FAL collection in favor of SCARs.

I like the FAL, always wanted one, but I've yet to find one where the cost=value/accuracy/reliability for me. Eventually I will get the ones I want as budget allows but it will be more for collectible and historical value rather than a workmanlike rifle.

The H&K G3 platform rifle has always been a more accurate rifle overall than the FAL and has proven itself as well over decades around the world. It's also very reliable, very accurate and personally I find it a very straightforward rifle to deal with. I also find it more fun to shoot than AR 7.62 rifles. Right now the PTR GI models are as cheap as $799 online and surplus magazines(many new old stocks) as cheap as $1.50 per magazine. If you want more accuracy and don't bother with shooting surplus or cheaper ammo, they have their match barrel models for more money.

I don't think I've cleaned mine for over a year now and it doesn't miss a beat. Some say with the way the roller locker system works that you could run the rifle without an extractor and the rounds are still coming out. That is one thing is that when it extracts it throws the brass 20-30 feet out there.

I find with AR rifles is that they seem to have a lot of little fiddly bits and seem more fussy and to me the H&K roller locker rifles are not drama queens or whiny. They just work.

My next "truck gun" is going to be a 16 inch barreled PTR 91 with a collapsible stock, so that tells you where I'm at.

To me the cost=reliability/accuracy/value equation works for me with that type of rifle.

The SCAR 17's are well liked by our special operations community and if you want "modern" I guess that is the way to go. Reliability though I have not seen enough data over the long term to make a call on that. Also these are pricey rifles.

The Springfield M1A rifles, ancient technology. Where the AR/H&K/FAL rifles go back to the 1950's, the M1A goes back even further and having known people for 25 years that have owned those rifles I always get varying feedback on getting them to run right or be accurate. Again like the FAL buying one of those would be more for historical and collecting value rather than a workmanlike gun.

With the AR-10 rifles, lots of different manufacturers, lots of choice. If you are willing to spend $1500-$3000 you can get a very nice rifle made with modern materials and design.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post

I've also shot a couple 308 AR's and they just don't do it for me.
    I find they are like an appliance. Like driving a Toyota or Honda these days there is no excitement or soul. They run, they drive, they take you down the road, but unlike a sportscar you are excited about taking out and driving, nobody says hey I can't wait to take my Honda Pilot out on those twisty roads.

I find AR rifles overall leave me a bit cold and especially the 5.56 models.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast