Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default WHY, WHAT IS IT ?????

A 32 inch barrel Fox, 4 shots, 4 cottontails in 1953. This started a life long (it needs a name) whatever, into the woods and fields of Pennsylvania. The first cock bird, the first deer, the quest goes on. But, WHY ??? What is that driving force ? What do I call it ?
    The flame has changed, but it has not gone out. From small game to deer to my current passion, hunting the groundhog.
    Am I an anomaly or do all hunters possess this drive, that needs a name.
    A perfect example. In the beginning of April I will have a total hip replacement. I think about it, but I am greedy. This cranky hip is screwing up the start of a new year of hunting the Whistle Pig, Ground Grizzly, Woodchuck.

Yes, I am going through the drill of preparing for the surgery, but I am ticked off at missing a quality time of the year. April and May is made for great shooting at the Grizzly. I can almost hear the Chucks passing signals to each other, 'He's here again. Keep your heads down'.

Do I score 100% of the time ? NO ! I just pack it in, never disappointed, regroup and tell my bride a day or two later around 3 PM, "I'm headin' up to the farm for a few hours". I know where 2 are hanging out---it's a good poke at about 275 yds.---- a beautiful afternoon----Maybe, just maybe, I'll get a crack at one----a miss !---don't ever blame your equipment. Don't have to clean the .204, I am going out at first light tomorrow. After that I'll run a brush through the bore.

I got in this position with the hip, by screwing the pooch last year. A case of pay me now or pay me later.

An anomaly, obsessed, what the heck do you call this drive. I don't think that I am alone. I believe anyone who reads this, has it to some degree. This is a Hunting Forum. That makes sense. All of us may be in the same boat.

But, back to the point of 'Why, what is it' OR Does it really need a name ?

JOIN THE CLUB ! ! !
    fossil
    Last edited by ImAfossil; February 13th, 2015 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Addition
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

Default Re: WHY, WHAT IS IT ?????

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfossil View Post
    This started a life long (it needs a name) whatever, into the woods and fields of Pennsylvania. The first cock bird, the first deer, the quest goes on. But, WHY ??? What is that driving force ? What do I call it ?
    back to the point of 'Why, what is it?
    Its the thrill of the Hunt. The names change but the Game does not!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(York County)

I know exactly what you mean, but I'm not sure what to call it. It's more than just hunting and killing your own food, or in your case, irradicating a pest. I started hunting back in the last gasp hey-day of the ringneck pheasant, 1973. I remember the excitement of stepping into the field at the crack of 9am. The tension of not knowing what was going to flush or where. The smell of the field brush as it smacked me in the face, the early morining frost turned to dew by the ever-rising sun.

Now adays, it's deer season, specifically archery, and the seemingly endless days leading to rifle, the late season, then than long empty stretch waiting for the weather to relent so I can start scouting and preparing again. There's too much to it, I don't know where to start describing why I do it. Even when sometimes it becomes torture from the weather, I still find myself wanting to get back out there as soon as I'm home, conceding defeat for the day.

I tell myself and others I do it because one never knows what's going to happen, and that much it true. But, there has to be more to it than that, and I'm not truly sure what it is. I believe either you have it, or you don't. Not sure one can fully develope it unless they "have it". Whatever it is that keeps me going back, I don't see it ever leaving me.

(Lehigh County)

Name it what you want. It's Gods design. We need to cull or nature (sickness, disease) does it for us I forgot and suppressed rifles! Boy it's fun. It's called being a father, son, or just being a friend, nephew,uncle. It's called as your out in the field your brain and body can take a moment an be at piece doing something. Call it what it is hunting and fishing. For me as a kid I called it killing and catching. See I was great at both and harvested something every time I went killing and hunting. But dad said yo bro you can't call it that. So I changed it to hunting and fishing. It stuck!
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

outdoorsman/ sportsmans lifestyle, hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, kayak, canoe mtnbike, just the love of the outdoors, and partaking in the natural process.
    I call it going to church because its when I feel closest to God and his creation. In something He made, not made by the hands of men.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Schuylkill County)

I have it also. I do not hunt deer, turkeys or others, it is Grouse. I live and breath Grouse hunting. From October17th or there about to the end of the second grouse season I am somehow driven to hunt Grouse everyday I am not working. It is an obsession as my wife says. When Grouse are over I hunt Coyotes, but not with the drive as in Grouse season. As to what to call it, I honestly do not know, but it is the most fun you can have, RIGHT?

(Delaware County)

Primal instinct? I started late in life but I always knew something was missing. I have yet to harvest a dam thing but I will keep trying till the day I die.

I do not even want to figure out the why I just know the itch I have always had is being scratched.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Beaver County)

For me it is my "quiet" time to reflect on things.

I also enjoy just being in the woods,the excitement when you here the leaves rustle.

Is it a deer,squirrel,coyote ?

Gets my adrenaline pumping.

Also the time of year I get to spend the most time with old friends.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Lebanon County)

All of the above replies, attempting to describe 'it', are really a neat mix of emotions and feelings.

Daycrawler----Thrill of the hunt.
    Mosseater-----Never know what's going to happen.
    A-5------------God's design.
    Bigandy1966---Going to church.
    Butck K-------Driven, obsession.
    Mpan72-------An itch he has always had.
    GrumpyBear--Quiet time, reflection.

I look at these replies for a commonality. When you try to describe 'it', you can't see it, you can't taste it, but everyone seems to feel it.

What Is It appears to be a feeling. Personally I know when doing 'it' all my bills disappear, the things that I have to do, but hate to do are shoved out of my mind, it's simple out there. I am focused, totally aware of my objective, everything else is a distant 2nd place. WOW ! !---legal shooting time is almost up. Where did these 5 hours go.

Thrill, Unknown, God, Church, Driven, Itch, Quiet---A great day and I get to do it again. What a FEELIN'.

Fossil
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

Aside from the camaraderie of camp etc...It is getting back to our basic instinct as predators. A few times a year, I can try to outwit nature, and take my proper role at the top of the food chain without going to the market and buying a vacuum wrapped piece of meat. I am humbled by nature almost every time I go out in the field. Watching coyote circle me to get down wind, or watching a buck literally CRAWL on his belly to skirt another hunter etc....We can pretend all we want, and go afield with the best modern technology has to offer, but we would have a hard time competing with ol' mother nature with our bare hands and only the clothes god gave us.
    Jules