Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Lehigh Defense XP and Bersa Thunder 380

I bought a box of the XP to run through my gun, which I staggered through the magazine mixed in with fmj to test for function, while not going through a whole lot of very expensive ammo. I had one failure to feed, with the round clearly hung up on the feed ramp. Has anyone else tried this ammo in their Thunder 380 and had it run smoothly? I'm curious to know if it's my gun, or the ammo. I know my gun can be picky about ammo that doesn't have a nice taper to the nose of it.

It's a shame, because it seemed like the Lehigh Defense stuff would make me feel a little better about carrying a 380 because I love my Thunder 380 so much.

Default Re: Lehigh Defense XP and Bersa Thunder 380

Quote Originally Posted by AJ168 View Post
    I bought a box of the XP to run through my gun, which I staggered through the magazine mixed in with fmj to test for function, while not going through a whole lot of very expensive ammo. I had one failure to feed, with the round clearly hung up on the feed ramp. Has anyone else tried this ammo in their Thunder 380 and had it run smoothly? I'm curious to know if it's my gun, or the ammo. I know my gun can be picky about ammo that doesn't have a nice taper to the nose of it.

It's a shame, because it seemed like the Lehigh Defense stuff would make me feel a little better about carrying a 380 because I love my Thunder 380 so much.
    The 380 XP ammo was predominantly developed with Glock 42s and the Smith and Wesson bodyguard as the test bed. Lehigh wouldn't even know if it works well in your Bersa. I do know that it goes with a Glock 42 like peas and carrots. There may be things you can polish up on your Bersa to help with feeding.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Bucks County)

I did think about that and did some research. Apparently polishing the feed ramp is a no-go on that gun.

Somebody just needs to come out with a 9mm identical to it or a PPK, and this Bersa can just go to the safe.

(Montgomery County)

I was always under the understanding that FMJ is better in mouseguns anyways as penetration will be more important than the minimal expansion you'll get out of most hollow point .380s.

(Bucks County)

I did think about that and did some research. Apparently polishing the feed ramp is a no-go on that gun.

Somebody just needs to come out with a 9mm identical to it or a PPK, and this Bersa can just go to the safe.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro is pretty close

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

(Dauphin County)

Have you tested the expansion of any of the hollow points you have shot out of your 380? Maybe save up some old milk jugs, fill them with water, tape a couple of old shirts too the first jug and see what hollow points actually do out of your 380. Some may expand better than others, some may not expland at all. Just like some feed better than others. Might help in making your ammo choice. MIght see that expansion is minimal and just carry FMJ round nose or whatever feeds best.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by carwash View Post
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro is pretty close

Do you own a 9 UC Pro? I'd be curious to know your thoughts. I was looking at them, and they seemed pretty nice. I'm still impressed with the Bersas for the price.
    Not quite as thin and light as the Thunder 380, but then again, I'd get 14 rounds of 9 mm vs 8 of 380.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAwhitetailbowhunter View Post
    Have you tested the expansion of any of the hollow points you have shot out of your 380? Maybe save up some old milk jugs, fill them with water, tape a couple of old shirts too the first jug and see what hollow points actually do out of your 380. Some may expand better than others, some may not expland at all. Just like some feed better than others. Might help in making your ammo choice. MIght see that expansion is minimal and just carry FMJ round nose or whatever feeds best.
    I carry the Hornady Critical Defense. I can't say that I've tried shooting milk jugs or anything else, as the only range I have near me that will allow something like that is in Jersey, and I'd prefer not to go over there with a handgun and hollow points, even though it theoretically can be done legally.

From the pictures and videos that I've seen online, that projectile seems to be a pretty good mixture of penetration and expansion.

(Bucks County)

Do you own a 9 UC Pro? I'd be curious to know your thoughts. I was looking at them, and they seemed pretty nice. I'm still impressed with the Bersas for the price.
    Not quite as thin and light as the Thunder 380, but then again, I'd get 14 rounds of 9 mm vs 8 of 380.
    I had one and loved it BUT the trigger reach in double action to too far for my little girlie hands.
    Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

(Dauphin County)

Lots of good youtube videos of expansion tests. I have tested remington 102 grain ammo using golden saber hollow points and they explanded. They feed well in my Ruger LCP so that is what I use. I have also at times staggered rounds between hollow points and full metal jackets when I carry.

I have not tried any Lehigh Defense in Hand Gun calibers but I do shoot and intend to hunt with their 194 Grain Maximum Expansion in 300 Black Out and it performs as advertized. Talk about expensive, but so far that is all I can find that will expand at subsonic velocities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast