Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Becoming a gunsmith...

Hello,

I have always had an interest in guns and would like to learn more about schooling/training for gunsmiths. I am located in the Philadelphia area so something local would be best. Thanks in advance

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Becoming a gunsmith...

Pennsylvania school of gunsmithing would be nice, but it is in Pittsburgh. If you could find a smith in this area willing to take on an apprentice, or perhaps a correspondence school would be other options.

(Allegheny County)

Pennsylvania school of gunsmithing costs approximately $30,000.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by W4hl View Post
    Pennsylvania school of gunsmithing costs approximately $30,000.
    I work part time I'm a local gun shop and our gunsmith went there. He told me its not just the cost of school. Your also required to supply all your own project guns and tools. Also, don't forget you'll still need to pay your bills while your off work and taking classes.

The "school's" website has a calculator to estimate the cost to attend. It came back with a cost without room and board of $36K if I were to attend.

I can't seem to find a curricula of classes that they recommend. For $36K am I getting a 6 month program or two years? Granted, I spent a total of 5 minutes on their site so the info may be there.

If I were interested in becoming a gunsmith I would talk to some local ones and see if they would entertain the idea of my volunteering time in exchange for training. Offer to do the nasty work like cleaning cosmoline off milsurps, sweeping floors, cleaning guns.

(Allegheny County)

Here is "Steel' s take on most things life related" ...... how bad do you want it? And how much are your dreams worth to you??

All I hope is that they are still around in 13 years when it's time to retire.

(Bucks County)

Pennsylvania Gunsmith School is a great program! My business partner and I both attended. It is a 16 month program 5 days a week 8 hours a day, so it is a full time school, which can make it a little tricky to have a part time job to pay rent and buy the things to live! However it is absolutely possible. I worked delivering pizza and made it work. Most guys had part time jobs, and its not too hard to find one, lots of business in the area. You can get an apartment for anywhere from $400 to $800 a month depending on what you can live with. The school supplies you with most of the tools you will need. However you are still paying for them they just include them in the cost of the program. You will need to buy other supplies like paper towels, q-tips, WD-40, things like that. As for guns to work on just ask your friends and family if you can work on anything of theirs. Most people are more than happy to let you reblue their gun for free!! Now the 4th semester you need to build 3 custom firearms. The first is a rifle with a one piece stock, the second can be the same or a 2 piece stocked gun, and the third doesnt need a stock, so you can do a 1911 build or an AR. The school sets you up with about $1,500 to build these guns, which is not enough, unless you build 3 mausers on cheap wood. Most guys need to have extra money or they just dont build all 3. I would still recommend the school to anyone, as long as they are willing to work for it. The instructors are what make it a good place to be!