Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Juniata County)

Default Snyder County Courthouse

I was subpoenaed & thus had to appear at the Snyder County Court house.

Appearing as required I had my 1911 OCed at the 1 to 2 oclock position condition one per normal. It was the first time I've been to the courthouse since the private security was replaced by the sheriffs dept, and I can not say that it was an improvement.

I took all of my non-sense out of my pocket, & my Holster off my belt with firearm inserted. During this time the Deputy processed another gentlemen, without seeming concerned about my firearm.

As I slid it across the folding table towards him he asked if it was unloaded, and I said "no".

He replied that "It needs to be."

I said that "It is in it's holster where it belonged, and could not be unloaded without the safety being disengaged."

After that there was no issue, he secured the firearm in the provided locker & handed me the key after I went through the metal detector. No paperwork as filled out.

Other then again being amazed at the waste of tax payer money to simply provide a "show" of security it was a none issue.

After testimony retrieved my firearm. When I went to leave he stopped me from exiting the only door leading to the "civilian entrance" and directed me to carry my firearm out the doors in the adjoining hallway - which is past the "Secure" part if the courthouse.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Snyder County Courthouse

Suggest you write a hard-copy letter to the Sheriff, outlining everything that transpired, and pointing out what could be done to improve the situation, especially the part about having to exit the court house out the back door as if you were a leper or something equally despised by some.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Suggest you write a hard-copy letter to the Sheriff, outlining everything that transpired, and pointing out what could be done to improve the situation, especially the part about having to exit the court house out the back door as if you were a leper or something equally despised by some.

I explained the set up poorly. Snyder County Court house has three adjacent entrances. One into a main area that is locked in the center, and one to the left & right of the main room. Facing the front of the building the "public through security entrance" is on the right, the far left for court employees.

It just seemed odd to me that once my firearm was returned the exit I had to use was actually in the "secure" part of the building. It is also basically right under the court room, with direct access (via stairs) to the same. I was actually more concerned about the firearms law pamphlet in the DA's office. It was very old, prior to the updated castle doctrine, and included information about a duty to retreat even when in ones home, and said it was illegal to shoot someone as they broke your door down.

However, I did not feel that it was the proper time to address the District Attorney about the issue as I was a witness.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; February 3rd, 2015 at 09:47 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Indiana County)

Well, now that you're no longer a witness, perhaps a letter might be in order for the District Attorney, too.