Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default OC around armored car services i.e. Brinks, Garda, Dunbar, Wells Fargo

Does anyone have any experience encountering armored car guard while OC'ing?
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Indiana County)

Default Re: OC around armored car services i.e. Brinks, Garda, Dunbar, Wells Fargo

If you don't look like you're planning anything, would it be a problem?

Default Re: OC around armored car services i.e. Brinks, Garda, Dunbar, Wells Fargo

Take a good look at the folks working for armored car services next time you see them. While there are certainly some pretty squared away folks, there are also some guards who are... well... you know. Armed guards are painfully under-paid for the level of danger that they encounter on a daily basis. And getting an Act 235 card in PA requires minimal firearms skill. (Plus it's not hard to pass the psych portion of the certification.)

While I would imagine that you'd be safe 99.9% of the time, I'd consider all of that before walking too close to one of these guys when OC'ing.

(Schuylkill County)

My former employer was Garda. Go about your business! Don't try to talk to them (they have a schedule to keep). DON'T eye f**k them because in minutes, you'll have more police their than you can image. Don't put your hand near your weapon especially when a crew member is outside the truck. Most crew members don't know O/C is legal, they don't know you from Adam, all they see is the gun and your hands. When your out on the trucks, you remind yourself that, their is a big bulls-eye on the truck and on the crewmembers. Please don't put yourself in harms way. Hope this helps.

(Delaware County)

Reason for the question was an encounter I had the other day.

I was OC'ing and getting out of my car to cross the parking lot to go into a Wawa and noticed that the driver of the armored car parked by the side of the store saw my 1911 - his eyes got wide and he started staring at me. The other guys on the crew were in the store and hadn't seen me yet.

I was in shorts and a t-shirt so there was no way I was going to be mistaken for a LEO and the guy in the truck seemed to be locked on to me. I don't know if they have radio's or not and I didn't want to risk walking into a store to face an armed guard that just got told that a man with a gun is walking in.

There are plenty of stories here about LEO encounters and encounters with both armed and unarmed security, but none on armored car encounters. I was not confident that I could safely enter the store with the crew in there so I decided that I could make my purchase at another Wawa and I turned around got back in my car and left.

I have been in stores before when armored guards came in and never had an issue. I just had a really bad vibe on this and it's been nagging at me....
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Lackawanna County)

i had my first experience with this today, in fact. i went to a bank in downtown Scranton, and there was a truck there. as i was walking in with my kids, one of the guards was walking out. i don't even think he noticed me. shame on him.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by p/uurbrass View Post
    My former employer was Garda. Go about your business! Don't try to talk to them (they have a schedule to keep). DON'T eye f**k them because in minutes, you'll have more police their than you can image. Don't put your hand near your weapon especially when a crew member is outside the truck. Most crew members don't know O/C is legal, they don't know you from Adam, all they see is the gun and your hands. When your out on the trucks, you remind yourself that, their is a big bulls-eye on the truck and on the crewmembers. Please don't put yourself in harms way. Hope this helps.
    Good advice - Thanks!
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Schuylkill County)

Frank, just give the guards a wide berth. Warrior, shame on him is right.

Quote Originally Posted by lprgcFrank View Post
    Reason for the question was an encounter I had the other day.

I was OC'ing and getting out of my car to cross the parking lot to go into a Wawa and noticed that the driver of the armored car parked by the side of the store saw my 1911 - his eyes got wide and he started staring at me. The other guys on the crew were in the store and hadn't seen me yet.

I was in shorts and a t-shirt so there was no way I was going to be mistaken for a LEO and the guy in the truck seemed to be locked on to me. I don't know if they have radio's or not and I didn't want to risk walking into a store to face an armed guard that just got told that a man with a gun is walking in.

There are plenty of stories here about LEO encounters and encounters with both armed and unarmed security, but none on armored car encounters. I was not confident that I could safely enter the store with the crew in there so I decided that I could make my purchase at another Wawa and I turned around got back in my car and left.

I have been in stores before when armored guards came in and never had an issue. I just had a really bad vibe on this and it's been nagging at me....

Interesting question.

Probably a good move on your part to leave, although turning around after seeing the guard and driving away probably looked suspicious to him too. But, I think you did good. Don't want some nervous, minimally trained guard(s) shooting you just for walking in the store, especially if the driver radioed inside about you.

(Schuylkill County)

HiredGoon, most guards are either former or current military and/or LEOS. So, are you stating the above people can't contol themselves or shoot a weapon?
    Yes, PA ACT 235 requires minimal training to pass but, don't you think most guards go beyond that level of training.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast