Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SPAS12

Default SPAS12

Does anyone here have one...JayBell? If so, what configuration is it in? I had a chance to shoot one and hated it. If I could find one, I would buy it as a conversation piece.
    Jules

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: SPAS12

Which configuration did you shoot the folder or fixed stock? I assume the folder they look like they hurt.

Folder with the "cane handle".
    Jules

(Montgomery County)

I dont have one, Io used to have a LAW 12 but it was fairly unreliable.
    the LAW12 was the semi only version. of the same gun, minus the ridiculous head shields....I've never seen one fire enough to need heat shields:-)

there are 3 version of stocks.
    fixed
    folding with square butt
    folding with arm loop( J Hook).

the arm loop was made to literally go around the upper arm when shooting from the hip...its fairly useless unless you are busting doors down

the gun itself is neat, but parts are hard to find, its overly heavy, its complicated, the safety is iffy at best, and it requires 4 dram loads to operate in semiauto...thus the HEAVIEST 2 3/4 loads you can find...even then, operation in semi is iffy....its also a 2 3/4 only gun, no 3"

notice its always pumped in the movies...gas operated doesn't work with blanks in that model.

do yourself a favor, and buy a Benelli M3 if you want a pump/semi convertable shotgun, its all over the better gun, I dont think the SPAS12 makes a good conversion piece even.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

WHile I agree that for the most part it is an unreliable piece of junk, I think it is a neat conversation piece, especially for "non gunners".
    Jules

(Adams County)

hi there,i have owned a spas 12 for 3 years now and have a good bit of experience with it.from what ive seen,heard and read most that dis the spas have little or no experience with the weapon.mine has been as reliable as a hammer,semi or pump.3 dr.target loads work in semi,just doesn't eject very far.i have 2 stocks for mine,folding and fixed,the hook is removeable.the fixed stock is lighter and more comfortable,got mine from numrich for $50.push button safety is the only way to go,stay away from the flip safety.as far as parts,numrich and carlsons should have you covered.spas12.com has all the info you'll need.lots of cool features,a little heavy,sturdy and reliable,8+1 capacity, downright mean looking and there will be no more ever.if that sounds good to you and you do decide to get one familiarize yourself with it forget the conversations leave the blanks for hollywood and let the buckshot fly.i have an 870 that i shoot more often and i won't comment on the the benelli m3 as i have no experience with it,though i have eyeballed them a good bit and i like what i see.btw switching from semi to pump is so quick and easy a caveman can do it.longwinded 1st post.
    Feedlip

I happened upon this post while looking for a picture and decided I had to register and write because I think you're post is wrong on many levels.

Unreliable?!? I personally don't own one, my uncle does. I have used is many many times without ANY problems.

The J hook is made to hook around your arm to fire around corners without exposing your body...nothing to do with shooting from the hip. I agree that this is pretty useless because you have to be damn strong to hold this almost 10 pound gun with an outstretched arm and pull the trigger.

Never had a problem with the safeties.

Never used special loads to get the semi to work. I wish I had some video of firing off all 9 rounds in approx. 2 seconds...this will push you back a couple of feet.

Of course you only see it pumped in movies, it looks so much cooler that way

I've actually won a few turkeys at shoots with the SPAS. Don't get me wrong, even with the choke on it's not the tightest pattern, but you sure get some great looks when you walk in with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    I dont have one, Io used to have a LAW 12 but it was fairly unreliable.
    the LAW12 was the semi only version. of the same gun, minus the ridiculous head shields....I've never seen one fire enough to need heat shields:-)

there are 3 version of stocks.
    fixed
    folding with square butt
    folding with arm loop( J Hook).

the arm loop was made to literally go around the upper arm when shooting from the hip...its fairly useless unless you are busting doors down

the gun itself is neat, but parts are hard to find, its overly heavy, its complicated, the safety is iffy at best, and it requires 4 dram loads to operate in semiauto...thus the HEAVIEST 2 3/4 loads you can find...even then, operation in semi is iffy....its also a 2 3/4 only gun, no 3"

notice its always pumped in the movies...gas operated doesn't work with blanks in that model.

do yourself a favor, and buy a Benelli M3 if you want a pump/semi convertable shotgun, its all over the better gun, I dont think the SPAS12 makes a good conversion piece even.

(Montgomery County)

well, I've known folks with SPAS 12s, and all of them had issues...I'm speaking from experience with thier shotguns, all of them sucked in one way or another.

The safety was a recall issue, they had to fix the guns...not all sent thiers in for fixing, so use caution.

The recoil buffer in the receiver eventually hardens and shatters, there is no replacement parts, you have to make something for that.

As I said, my LAW 12 was iffy at best on regular firing, just wasn't reliable unless I handloaded some pretty stout shells for it.
    and as a 10lb shotgun is totally unneccessary in weight for 12ga

I now have a Benelli M3, a Benelli Entry gun with a 14" and 10" barrel set, and a Saiga 12ga (along with various pumps and SxS shotguns)) and I've shot almost every sporting shotgun, and combat type shotgun on the market, from a Serbu Super Shorty AOW to a USAS12 in full automatic....I'm only talking form MY experience, yours differed of course.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(York County)

I had a folder for a couple years. Never had any problems with it. It was just too damn bulky and heavy. Still don't know why anyone would use the pump feature vs. semi-auto. It looked cool though. Traded it for a Rem model 7 .243

I'm do not have any first hand knowledge of this particular shotgun although ever since I saw one in Jurassic park as a kid I was fascinated with it. I have read a great deal about them though and wanted to pass on a little of this information. As Jaybell said, there have been tons of documentation of the receivers hardening and breaking. The other issue that I wanted to bring up that hasn't been adequately covered here is the safety recall. The "lever type safeties" were dangerous. From what I have read it wasn't a problem that they didn't work, part of the problem was after the shotgun was put on safety, taking it off safety OR putting it on safety would cause the shotgun to instantly discharge. I'll say that again, you did NOT need to put your finger on the trigger, taking the shotgun on/off of safety would cause instant discharge. Imagine the kind of things that could happen when you didn't have your finger on the trigger and it discharged from removing it on/off of safe. In that case I would hope that your muzzle control was perfect. I will post a link where some of this is discussed and please or ask me for more links which I'll find if you'd like more info on this.

Warning: If you are going to buy one of these, PLEASE READ THIS LINK and know what you are getting.
    http://spas12.com/spassafety.htm THE WEBSITE SAYS THAT THIS ALSO APPLIES TO THE LAW 12 THAT HAVE THE LEVER SAFETIES. Please be aware of this because I would hate for someone to lose their life when the knowledge is available to prevent it.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; October 7th, 2007 at 09:52 PM.