Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Thumbs up New here - new to PA

Hi everyone!
    I moved to Chester Co about two years ago from Florida.
    I just had my first son about 2 years ago and finally getting around to having a life again

I received my CCW about 2 weeks ago and live in Coatesville.

I have a monster GP100 with a 6" barrel and I'm looking for a carry weapon. So far my top contenders are a Springfield XDs 9 (or .45), M&P Shield 9, Sig P238, Sig P320, Ruger SR9c and LC9s. I am extremely torn on which one to buy. If you guys each could chip in $50, I can get all of them - j/k

Any input on the guns above would be great.

Also, any good ideas on a Chesco gun range (preferably outdoor) or a good place to FFL an online purchase, I would greatly appreciate it.

One more thing...I see one of the main members with a few R.I.P. to fellow forum members, anyone know how they died?

Thanks in advance everyone for your input!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: New here - new to PA

Welcome aboard! I have the XDS 45 as well as the S&W Shield in 9mm. No complaints with either. Like a good woman they both have more pros than cons. My advice would be to put hands on them and find what you like and feel confident in.
    SEMPER GUMBY

(Chester County)

Hey there and welcome. I am right down the road in parkesburg about 10 minuets west of you. I would recommend you rent some of the guns to get a feel for them and decide which one shoots best for you. Targetmaster in Chads Ford, PA and French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville, PA are two of the bigger indoor ranges close to us here that offer rentals. There is a state game land range in elverson which will require either a hunting license of an in state "range permit" to use. It kind of sucks but is good for sighting in a rifle or something, and short of the license is free.

(Chester County)

As stated by another poster, Targetmaster has most of your candidates in their rental program. My SO went through the same decision a while ago and chose the Shield after lots of shooting. Beside being a nice carry gun, the Shield is probably the most pleasant to play with, so she likes to go to the range and practice with it.

There are several clubs with ranges in the area. I like SCCSFA and Atglen. There are also Northern Chester County, Lower Providence, New Holland and others. If you like to shoot, most membership fees are a bargain.

For price and overall service, Tanners is worth the drive. There are other local gun shops and each has its own strengths. Targetmaster is good for ammo, Gordon's is good for hunting stuff, and the guys on 30 in Frazer are good guys who also do archery stuff. King's in KOP is great for reloading. Any one of them might happen to have the gun you want today at a fair price.

Welcome to the area and forum.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Chester County)

My wife and I are in the middle of buying a place in Thorndale, so we'll be out that way too.

I have and love a Ruger SR9c. One of the things I like is that I can put a 10-round mag in it for carry and have a 17-round mag for reloads. It's also got a surprisingly good trigger for a relatively inexpensive gun.

(Allegheny County)

I would add the Kahr CW9 to your list.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Chester County)

Thanks for making it even more difficult! Kahr added for the research

(Bucks County)

Welcome. I have the XDS in .45 and love it.

Not versed in ranges out that way, but can't beat a trip to King Shooters in KoP.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Chester County)

Welcome.

I live in Wagontown, which is so small it does not deliver mail, so we actually have a Coatesville zip code. My wife and I have a 2 yo and a 3 yo, so I feel you on getting a life again.

You have gotten much of what I could have given you in previous replies.

I am not sure how a Glock 26 did not make it onto your list, but it should be on there. I can save you the rental, shoot mine.

I can add Morgantown Rod & Gun. I am an officer there. It is located up Route 10, less than 10 minutes north of 322. We have shoots that are open to the public, just about every month and we have space for new members. Yearly dues are only $30 and there are right about 200 members, so when you go to the range, you are usually there alone. If you would like to check it out, let me know and I would be glad to take you. PM me in case I do not end up back in this thread.

(Chester County)

Smile Re: New here - new to PA

Thanks for the gun range info. I will definitely apply to MRG in a few weeks.

I have this narrowed down:

1. Ruger SR9c (proven)
    2. Springfield XD Mod 2 Subcompact (just released)

I shot the Kahr, not a fan.
    I dont want to be a glock'er - I know they are nice and reliable.
    Sig's are very expensive and dont really have safety mechs on them (this is a requirement)

I am probably going today to check them out and get a feel for both.

There are so many to pick from I am seriously banging my head on the screen. I have reviewed the crap out of all of these.

Any last input before my purchase? If I end up not liking them, I can just sell it or buy another one right

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast