Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default First time gun purchase

Okay so my husband recently purchased the glock 21sf great gun but a little bit much for a first time woman gun owner to handle and shoot. I tested out the glock 26 aka baby glock and loved it! I filled out all the paper work to purchase and I was put under a 15 day review to determine whether or not I will be able to purchase. Has anyone heard of this? I have no criminal history only minor speeding tickets. I have no idea what a problem would be. Now my family on the other hand has had a lot of history with the law could my name just a flag for a more detailed check? Any help would be much appreciated!

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: First time gun purchase

If you have no criminal history and were never involuntarily committed then you have nothing to worry about. Probably just as you said, someone with a similar name, happens all the time.

Edit to add: You and you husband should both apply for your license to carry, even if you don't plan to carry it makes transporting your firearm to the range or whatever much easier. There are a lot of rules that you don't need to worry about for transporting if you have a license to carry.
    Last edited by jerkin; January 21st, 2015 at 04:42 PM.

(Montgomery County)

That's what I figured I have nothing that can cause them to say no in my history. Like I said this is my first time buying a gun my husband bought one and it was instant so it worries me a bit. Thanks for the response and putting my mind at ease!

I realize this is very personal information, so you don't need to share unless you want to. One of the biggest reasons i have found for folks getting delayed or denied by PICS is they have some sort of involuntary commitment or 302 on their record. Teenagers being dramatic or over zealous parents often cause big issues later in life that no one is really thinking about at the time. Hope everything works out for you!

Another possibility is that a database at PICS timed out, or there is a record with no disposition.

(Montgomery County)

I have never been in a situation like that in my childhood. No mental issues no convictions. So I should be okay it was just weird he came back and told me I will find out an answer in 15 days when I figured I would be going home with my new shiny baby glock

(Montgomery County)

Don't sweat it.

I think there is pretty much no way to find out why, until the PSP (PA State Police) come back with an answer. It may take up to 15 days, but it could take 15 minutes, or 15 hours, or whatever it takes to clear your name. After 15 days, they must fish or cut bait. Show proof that you are prohibited, or else let you buy the gun.

Just for fun, Google your name. See if there are any others with it. I just looked and found there are 21 people in America named Cheyenne Phillips. Only one of them is a 13 year old that went on a crime spree with her 18 year old boyfriend. But I bet the other 20 get hassled at some point.

edit to add; I would not recommend applying for a license to carry firearms until after you get this current situation resolved.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda3790 View Post
    I have never been in a situation like that in my childhood. No mental issues no convictions. So I should be okay it was just weird he came back and told me I will find out an answer in 15 days when I figured I would be going home with my new shiny baby glock
    yeah, it happens quite a bit, most times due to no fault of your own. If there is a big gunshow in Pa and they are calling in a lot of background checks the system gets swamped and they will put people on hold until they get caught up. It happens for a variety of reasons.

(Tioga County)

Welcome Amanda.

While you wait, read and watch this:
    http://www.christiangunowner.com/wom...un-recoil.html
    MikeP

Don't be surprised if you have to challenge a denial. I was placed in "deep research" once and ended up swapping mail with PSP for 3 months to get it cleared.

In my case I have a common name and made the mistake of buying on Christmas Eve when PICS is overwhelmed. It ended up one of my many "brothers" out there in PA had a history of beating his wife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast