Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: Need help in Lackwaxen Township!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWag View Post
    I would not go by the Game Laws, you're not hunting. If the Twp. has no laws, and it most likely does not, the State Public Nuisance or Risking a Catastrophe laws might apply. Is your backstop safe?, how far is the neighbors property? Do you shoot at reasonable hours?
    Steve
    The backstop is a natural ledge that goes up over 20 feet above our heads. No way is a bullet getting out of there. The new neighbor is now 200 feet from us, his house was only built 2 years ago, which is why we never had a problem before he moved in. I'd also like to add that the only reason he is having a problem with us shooting is because I asked him to turn his radio down last week because it was blasting across the road, and I could hear it in my house. He then called the State Police on me to try to find out if I was harassing him. So the next day when he started blasting music my husband decided to target shoot a bit both relax and make some noise of his own. The trooper showed up 3 hours later, saying the guy wants to file a complaint that my husband was in our driveway shooting holes in the ground and blasting rocks apart. We showed her where we shoot, showed her the targets, and she left saying it was her opinion that we were responsible people and weren't causing him any danger as we were no where near him and have a safe shooting area. We even showed her the driveway so she could see there were no holes in it.

What I find to be the most annoying part is that this same neighbor was shooting a firearm into the air on New Year's Eve and was setting off huge fireworks on the 4th that the pieces were falling in my yard and on my property. So he can behave like an idiot and get away with it, but he is going to try to jam us up when we act responsibly?

Sorry to rant, we're just fed up with having to bend our lives around to suit a jerk.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    I do not mean to be rude but tell the tool from NY to go Screw. If he does not like you shooting he should move back to NY. As far as I know there is no town ordinance about the discharging of firearms it may have a noise ordinance but they usually have specific time slots mentioned.

Mike Mc
    Not rude at all, lol. There is no noise ordinance either, we checked with the township. It was also 3 in the afternoon on a Saturday, so we weren't waking anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by glockguy68 View Post
    for real? in what part?,where I live I can shoot all sunday long in my backyard and no one says nothing,like a year ago I had a neighbor who called the cops on me a sunday morning,we spent a brick of 22's at least,and if you call the cops there it takes almost an hour to get there,I spoke with the officer,he walk with me to the backyard(almost by the train tracks,he saw the weapons ammo,chairs and table,plus our targets like 100 yards down,he said it was completely ok,it was a nice set up,private property,and since it was sunday afternoon I wasn't bothering nobody,he even gave us a jeep jack for my friend who has a jeep,if you are target shooting in private property with a proper backstop for bullets and houses aren't like together is ok,our two nwighbors are like 200 yards from my yard...
    Like I said, this was NEVER an issue before this guy moved in. Our other neighbors all shoot too, and no one has ever complained about us or them. He also made a complaint about the guy on the other side of him for shooting, but that was right after this guy moved in.

(Pike County)

Thumbs up Re: Need help in Lackwaxen Township!

down there on weekends I spend bricks of 22'sand a couple of mags in my handguns or AR,AK,only once like a year ago one neighbor complained,and it was the same situation,the guy was a brown ring,that's the best thing we have there,nobody mess with nobody,well,with some exceptions .... you take care and keep shooting,always safe,good luck...
    "one loves to possess arms, tho they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to George Washington 6/19/1796glockguy68...shoot safe...NRA member...US infidel...

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAMomma View Post
    <snip>
    we're just fed up with having to bend our lives around to suit a jerk.
    How sad, this guy moves in 2 years ago and wants to tell you how to live. I wish you luck in dealing with this guy, but, it seems short of some sort of 'official' intervention it sounds like you may be stuck with the kind of neighbor no one wants.

Jack

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by glockguy68 View Post
    down there on weekends I spend bricks of 22'sand a couple of mags in my handguns or AR,AK,only once like a year ago one neighbor complained,and it was the same situation,the guy was a brown ring,that's the best thing we have there,nobody mess with nobody,well,with some exceptions .... you take care and keep shooting,always safe,good luck...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PAhunter View Post
    How sad, this guy moves in 2 years ago and wants to tell you how to live. I wish you luck in dealing with this guy, but, it seems short of some sort of 'official' intervention it sounds like you may be stuck with the kind of neighbor no one wants.

Jack
    That's the problem, no one official wants to be involved. The trooper that came here said she didn't know anyone even lived back here, we're so out in the middle of no where. It was nice until this started.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAMomma View Post
    Hi, new here Found this site last night and have been reading for hours but have yet to find an answer on here or any where on the internet. We're in Lackawaxen Township and are having a dispute with a neighbor regarding our target shooting on our property. The township office had no answers for us, and neither did the State Police. Does anyone here know how I can find out if there are any local ordinances for the township regarding discharging a firearm on private property and how I can get my hands on a copy?

I have a neighbor quoting statutes at me that I can't seem to find anywhere, and I think he is full of BS about it. He's also quoting NY law at me, which doesn't mean squat here. He's one of those fast talkers that just wants to confuse you by throwing out as much info as he possibly can in one sentence.

If there are no township regulations, what do I go by?

Thank you!
    NEPAMomma
    I wish I had neighbors like you. I'd come over so we could do some target shooting.

Not so much backyard shooting around me. Most of the shooting goes on in the streets.

(Bucks County)

I say fire away! I always try to shoot between 9 am and 7-8 pm and after 12 noon on Sundays. Neighbors might not like it too much, they never complained, but we only shoot for an hour or two or three every couple of weeks. Document all your interactions with your problem neighbor including all his "noise making" and get LEOs info when they show up.

(Indiana County)

Okay, so you asked a Township Supervisor (who's supposed to know such things) and he went, "Huh?"

And the State Trooper was unaware of any such restrictions (not that a State Trooper would enforce Township ordinances).

If it's not illegal, then it's legal!

Go for it, Kiddo!

(Dauphin County)

maybe you should invite a few of your new pafoa friends who live nearby for a shoot, hell, invite your neighbor, if he doesn't take the olive branch you can always swat him with it.

(Wayne County)

A friend of mine is having problems with a tool from NY also so we make it a point to shoot every time they are up for the weekend. He has 65 acres and the fool is located on the back section. They tried to say there where restrictions on the property. He had his Lawyer do the research and confirmed that there where no restrictions and had him send a letter to them stating such. We also removed their illegal dock that they had placed on the pond. They called the State police and the officer that arrive is a good friend told them that we did not damage the property and that they did not have the proper permits so they had no quarrel.

Mike Mc

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast