Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Mid-level 1911 suggestions

I'm going to be in the market for a new 1911 soon, in the next week or so. I currently shoot a Para expert GI. It shoots and feels great. My only gripe is the lack of an extended beavertail. My budget is also a bit higher this time around ($700 or so). I'm looking at Springfields, Ruger, S&W and STI. I was also considering a rock island, but not sure how I feel about their finish. As the ones I've looked at felt rough (not the action, but the actual coating). I'd also consider a colt if I can find one for the right price. Any other guns in that price range I should look at? I'd prefer stainless, but blued and parked finishes are ok as well. This will also be a carry gun, so target sights are not needed. Thanks for the input.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Mid-level 1911 suggestions

There is a nice looking Ruger in the classifieds a few posts below yours. It has some upgrades similiar to yours as well. I know youve probably seen it but just in case I thought I would point it out,
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Mercer County)

STI Spartan, SR1911, or SA of some variety. Or, you could shop around for a used Colt.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

The Para Expert Commander I just bought has a beavertail grip safety.

I don't speak English , I talk American!

SIG makes a decent 1911 around that price. They make ones with traditional slide and the chunkier SIG slide. They also have an external ejector...which is different than the standard.

Most of the gun in that price range use a cast frame and forged slide. SIG uses forged for both.
    Last edited by BenFoo; January 14th, 2015 at 09:00 PM.

(Chester County)

Springfield range officer. They now have 4 options in that lineup and they all sell for around 700.

I have a para expert too. Its nice for the 350 I have into it but it doesn't feel or shoot nearly as nice as my range officer.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I looked at an STI at the LGS a few months ago and really liked it. I've got a buddy that swears by Springfield, but I'm not hung up on brand so much. I've thought about getting another Para, but I'm open to see what else is out there. I did see the Ruger below my post, I will be monitoring it closely.

A good majority of the RIA's are matte black or parkerized finishes which isn't the prettiest but they are very durable. They do have other models with different finish options like duracoat and I am pretty sure they have some offerings in stainless.

Your price range which is a nice chunk of money doesn't go far in the 1911 world as far as added features when it comes to the popular name brands like Springfield, Remington, Ruger and Sig. There are really 4 tiers of 1911's now due to all the recent imports by Tisas and ATI that start in the mid $300.00 range. Unfortunately the real mid tear before the cheaper imports started rolling in started around $1k plus. Then you get your Dan Wessons and all that $2k up to 5k Night Hawk jobs.

My brother has a SR1911 the finish is very nice and it's decent in accuracy but the slide to frame fit is absolutely terrible. They are not all like that but I have read quite a few complaints over this issue on the 1911 forums.
    Taurus (yeah I know Taurus) offers a hell of a lot of gun for the price they are charging. They shoot very nice and are as durable as any other in it's price category. Backed by a lifetime warranty and as of late very good customer service it's an option I would not scoff at.

I have owned several 1911's all fell in the 1k plus range brand new, ask me now if I would spend that on them my answer would be no. I would seriously consider the RIA or the Taurus if I were shopping around now.

Just my .02

Duracoat
    http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-...TACA-DURA.aspx

All options
    http://www.centerfiresystems.com/han...ck-island.aspx

If your close to Sarco in Easton they tend to always have a big selection of RIA on hand.
    http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/rockislandpistols.aspx
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 14th, 2015 at 10:21 PM.

(Chester County)

My RIA 2011 Tactical is a beast. The coating is a matted one, not the prettiest, but cleans up nicely and is holding it's own. I wanted something different in the form of a railed 1911, couldn't spring for a Scorpion or TRP so I had to go with an "entry level" rail 1911 in RIA.

Been very happy with it! VZ grips, adjustable rear sight, FO front sight...Cost me $600 IIRC

(Lawrence County)

Barrel quality and then barrel to slide fit is going to give you the most accuracy. Slide to frame fit is only about 15% of accuracy, but I'll admit......it feels good.

Ten years ago this conversation would have been different, but CNC machining and the popularity of the 1911 have created some REALLY good guns in your price range. The problem with the 1911 is fitting and you can't just throw them together like a Glock and expect them to run (but if they are set up right they run just as well). So.....if you can change your own brakes any of those guns would serve you well with some forum research (or just asking for help in the possibility that things don't play out.....but chances are they will).

Overall summary? The Ruger does everything well. The Springfield has good fitting, but the triggers tend to be heavy and creepy until the price goes up (with the TRP doing everything a lot of customs do for less). The Taurus can feel a bit loose, but the 4-5 I've shot have shot tight and have hammer sear groups as good as $1500 guns. I know of at least two that would hold 2lbs. I'd have no problem changing the grips on a Taurus and going shooting (that hammer is ugly, though .....so it won't get you chicks). The RIA and all the Armscorp guns (STI Spartan falls here) are great budget guns that you can build on and improve if you have any motivation. I'd replace the trigger (they tend to be poorly fitted save for the Spartan) and go shooting.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy a Colt. Not because they are bad guns, but because you'll pay $200 more just for the pony on the side and not see any real gains over the others.

LycanhastwoSTI2011sandwouldstillshootaTaurusthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast