Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Anyone else out coyote hunting?

Well since archery is over I need to hunt something. I went out this morning and tried 3 different set's before I had to return home to take the rug rat to his doctors appointment. First 2 set up's were along cut corn fields by where I hunt deer, tried a bunch of different calls on the fox pro without luck.I tried a new decoy I made with a cottontail fur and a spring with fishing line. The last set was at the bottom of a ridge overlooking a hard wood flat. No luck there either.
    Anybody have any luck calling them in and what call did they respond to?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Anyone else out coyote hunting?

no... I'd be afraid of hitting an illegal.

oooohhhhhhh.......

My neighbor said he saw one in the back ally the other night around 3am (not an illegal, lol) but we live in the philly burbs. I know they are in edgmont, which is only about 6miles from me, but.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    My neighbor said he saw one in the back ally the other night around 3am (not an illegal, lol) but we live in the philly burbs. I know they are in edgmont, which is only about 6miles from me, but.
    you have alleys?

(Allegheny County)

Going this weekend so I'll report back with results.

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    you have alleys?
    Yep, live in a twin, all the other houses are row homes.

(Luzerne County)

Went out this afternoon with my younger brother to a new of property I have been wanting to scout for future hunt's. It was only my brothers 3rd time coyote hunting, the other two times were with me as well.

We got to where we were going. The ground was icey and very crunchy but we made it about a 1/2 miles from the road and found were a turkey had been dismantled in a overgrown field just behind a row of smaller pines. We seen some tracks just before the field where they crossed a logging road so we decided to set up adjacent to the field where we could see another field in front of us and a ridge line that wrapped around it. Being new to the property it looked like a good of spot as any.

We got settled down and gave it 30 minutes to let everything calm down before starting to call. I noticed rabbit tracks on the way in so I figured why not, started off with a baby cottontail in distress. We hunting this spot for about an hour without any luck although I was not shocked we didn't see anything with how much noise we made moving in.

We found another field about 1 mile down from the next that was pretty big, i've woodchuck hunted smaller fields that this and there again was more tracks around. I got the call and decoy set back up, we gave it about 45 minutes this time just sitting in silence, no calling. I tried the same again since there was rabbit tracks all around this field. I started calling and letting off, after about 30 minutes, I noticed something, we attracted 5 turkey buzzards that were interested in my decoy. I called on and off for another hour while the buzzards hung around hoping one would make the mistake of landing in the field. None did, all in all it was a nice day in the woods with my brother, and thats all that mattered to me.

(Allegheny County)

My brother and I have been out a number of times since December with no luck.

It's been typical coyote hunting in PA, so far. When you do bag one, it makes it well worth it though.

A pup in distress call has been really effective.

(Columbia County)

Next weekend or the week after we're going out to where I called one in to 70-100yds but I wouldn't come into the open, traded low howls for about 15min with him, there were three that came in one went north one went east one went west then south and got behind us (my howling partner).

Found out he used a ditch in the one small field to circle us and cross a creek. Guess where I'm setting up with the 12ga this time....
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(Luzerne County)

I'm gonna be heading out tomorrow morning a little late after I finish from running around I have to do.I will check back in to let you guys know how it goes.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast