Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default PA gun laws. HELP please

Okay so I will be 20 this coming august and my fiancé (whos 24) and i have been discussing firearms. He is getting a license to carry so im not worried about that. But i would like to get a shotgun maybe a riffle. Just to go to the range with keep in our house for security reasons and what not. I know in PA at 18 you are legally able to purchase? Is this correct? Im just wondering if I'm able to just go to cabelas purchase a shotgun then take it home. And only take it out covered and unloaded to a range or hunting maybe later down the line?

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: PA gun laws. HELP please

You are correct, over 18 to buy any long guns (rifle or shotgun). 21 for handguns. Transporting to a range is fine as long as you keep it unloaded and the ammo separate.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    You are correct, over 18 to buy any long guns (rifle or shotgun). 21 for handguns. Transporting to a range is fine as long as you keep it unloaded and the ammo separate.

**NOTE** The below is limited to "firearms" as defined in by the quotes in Kinght0334 post.

Also do not make any stops to and from the range.

The way the law is written all transportation of firearms is illegal unless under certain exemptions.

One of those exemptions is going directly to and from, home, gun shop, range with an unloaded firearm There is no exception for any other stops. Hunting in included as well assuming you have a hunting license. Again directly to and from your hunting spot. There is also an exemption for LTCF holders.

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.
    (8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.

(9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing as permitted by such license, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...&div=0&chpt=61

My personal recommendation is to apply for your LTCF on the day of your 21st birthday.
    Last edited by QuackXP; January 13th, 2015 at 02:13 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Jefferson County)

You can carry/transport an unloaded rifle or shotgun without a license, anywhere within the state - except within Philly or during a declared state of emergency. In Philly or during a SoE - you would need a license.

If the rifle or shotgun uses detachable magazines - any loaded magazines must be in a separate container. Loose or boxed ammo, and unloaded magazines can be anywhere.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Also do not make any stops to and from the range.

The way the law is written all transportation of firearms is illegal unless under certain exemptions.

One of those exemptions is going directly to and from, home, gun shop, range with an unloaded firearm There is no exception for any other stops. Hunting in included as well assuming you have a hunting license. Again directly to and from your hunting spot. There is also an exemption for LTCF holders.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...&div=0&chpt=61

My personal recommendation is to apply for your LTCF on the day of your 21st birthday.
    6106(a) only applies to "firearms" (handguns, SBS's, and SBR's). Even though 6106(e) adds any type of firearm to (b)(3), (4), (5), (7), and (8) - it doesn't add that definition to 6106(a) which is the controlling text. So, if nothing makes it illegal to carry concealed or in a vehicle{6106(a)}, then regardless as what the definition is for the exemptions of 6106(b), it is still perfectly legal.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Yeah, I wondered about that. Still not uncommon to see a rifle in a truck rack around here as a matter of daily conduct. I used to have a local farmer near me who had one in his truck rack 100% of the time. He certainly wasn't going to or from the range on a daily basis. He wanted to kill every deer he could get a bead on, and did so with regularity. The PAGC truck used to stop at his place on an almost daily basis to dispose of carcasses he'd culled for crop damage.

Does this mean I CAN carry a rifle in my truck "just because" as long as the gun is unloaded and the ammo is separate?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post

Does this mean I CAN carry a rifle in my truck "just because" as long as the gun is unloaded and the ammo is separate?
    Yup, you can do that, but back in the day no one would be stealing it!

just an FYI Its OK to buy long guns in Delaware, Hand guns I think are not going to be sold to an out of stater.
    Pretty sure on that.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    just an FYI Its OK to buy long guns in Delaware, Hand guns I think are not going to be sold to an out of stater.
    Pretty sure on that.
    Correct,
    Long guns can be bought at an FFL in any state face to face. Handguns must go through an FFL in your home state.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Yup, you can do that, but back in the day no one would be stealing it!
    Not true at all. My Father had one of his hunting rifles stolen back in the 60's out of his car. I forget where it was stored, but not in plain view, and it's still MIA.

You can rest assured if I do start carrying a rifle, it'll be out of site and virtually impossible for anyone to steal (unless they take the whole truck). Been contemplating a short barreled .308 of some description for a long time. Possibly an AR. I saw Cabela's had a DPMS Oracle on sale right after Christmas for less than $900. Still a little steep for the pocketbook right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast