Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default CCW a weapon registered to your spouse.

I'm sure this has been posted before but I did not find anything directly related to this in the last year or so not sure if anything changed. So here goes.

My wife just got her LTCF she wants a M&P Shield which I currently own and carry can I legally just give her mine for her to conceal carry it or does it legally need to be transferred and registered into her name if it's for the purpose of concealed carrying?

I know there were issues in the past for open carriers regarding this so I wanted to be sure no laws were changed.

Thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: CCW a weapon registered to your spouse.

There is no gun registry in Pennsylvania.

In Pennsylvania a legal transfer to your spouse of a firearm is handing it to her as long as you do not have reason to believe she is a prohibited person.

That is all.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post

My wife just got her LTCF she wants a M&P Shield which I currently own and carry can I legally just give her mine for her to conceal carry it?

Thanks.

Yes.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post

In Pennsylvania a legal transfer to your spouse of a firearm is handing it to her as long as you do not have reason to believe she is a prohibited person.

That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Yes.
    What they said. Even if you didn't give it to her for good, you are allowed to loan another ltcf holder a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post

That is all.
    We dont have registration yet. I worry wolf will try it. I think he stands about as much chance of getting it as obama does of being considered a good president by the majority of this board.
    I offer discounts on freeze dried foods, knives and other prepping products.

(Allegheny County)

We don't have a legal registration. However the PA sale database is used illegally as a defacto registration. There have been instances of firearms being seized illegally because they did not show up in the "registry" aka sales database.

Giving or loaning the pistol to your wife is not illegal as permanent transfers between spouses requires no FFL or paperwork and anyone with a LTCF can borrow a firearm.

However if I lived in an area known for the police being anti 2A and your wife was going to carry the firearm full time I would consider having it transferred jut to make sure her name shows up in the sales (illegal registry) database.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    We don't have a legal registration. However the PA sale database is used illegally as a defacto registration. There have been instances of firearms being seized illegally because they did not show up in the "registry" aka sales database.

Giving or loaning the pistol to your wife is not illegal as permanent transfers between spouses requires no FFL or paperwork and anyone with a LTCF can borrow a firearm.

However if I lived in an area known for the police being anti 2A and your wife was going to carry the firearm full time I would consider having it transferred jut to make sure her name shows up in the sales (illegal registry) database.

This was exactly my thinking too in the end it maybe better just to fork out the money had have her buy her own postol inorder to avoid any unpleasant situations.

Thanks to all who took the time to post.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post

Is the illegal registry based on sales or transfer. A handgun that goes from husband to wife would not be a sale. It would just be a transfer only. Every sale includes a transfer. Not all transfers are a sale. Just curious of the difference.
    Lower your expectations to zero and you'll never be disappointed.

(Bucks County)

My wife has three handguns purchased and 4473'd by me. One purchased before a dealer of 30 years history who knows me and knew it was for my wife. Tell you anything? I think you are making a problem that does not exist....if your wife has your last name.

While we are making up problems, how about this one....you buy a handgun and present it to wife for Christmas or whatever. Sometime thereafter you divorce and she takes the gun with her, and then gets remarried and now has a different last name. What should she do, if anything?

(Bucks County)

Couple of years ago my BIL died. His daughter is a freak-out terrified of guns. She transferred (gifted it) his handgun to me via 4473. On the form to PSP was a question "is this transfer taxable?" to which the FFL wrote "yes". I think they have covered their asses with that question, making it a "sale" record because no one from Harrisburg IRS has contacted me about any tax due.
    Last edited by Bang; January 12th, 2015 at 02:37 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast