Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default My OC experience

No police encounter, no irate citizens, a little training done.

I OC my Ruger Blackhawk (45LC) around the yard in case I get a shot at one of the several groundhogs that are trying to take over my yard. I was mowing my yard Sunday and a belt broke on the mower. I drove down to TSC (Tractor Supply Co.) to get a replacement. I was looking for the belt and heard a little guy (looked about 4 or 5) say "Mommy, he has a gun like mine" I looked around and saw the youngster and his Mom looking at me. She replied "No dear, his gun is a real gun" and walked away. I paid for the belt and was leaving I noticed them looking at lawn tractors with a man I assumed was the dad. The little guy pointed me out to dad and "he's the one with the gun". All three walked over and the dad asked (non confrontational) if I always carried a gun to the store. I told him I normally always carried a gun (in some manner) and explained why I had one on that day. The said that they didn't often see a person carrying openly. The boy asked if he could see it, mom kinda shushed him but I said if it was ok with them I would show him. They had no problem with it so I unloaded it and asked the boy if he wanted to hold it. Of course he did and I showed him how to hold it (all the while keeping my hands under it to catch it if he dropped it LOL). He was thrilled and said it's heavier than his gun.

Turns out they own a farm and both are gun owners, hunters and shooters (Mom hunts deer too). Turns out the boy has several toy guns and a BB gun bought by them and they have already started teaching him gun safety. We talked about hunting in the area, the PGC range being closed, guns in general and about open carry. He didn't know that he could OC without a license. I did get an invite to do some small game hunting at his farm this fall. Oh, and I did give him the OC pamphlet (I keep some in the truck, just in case) and a couple of my gun shop business cards. A real good encounter and some nice people bringing their son up right (IMO).

And other people and employees in the store and outside saw me (and us) with the gun and nothing was said (well, we were at a farm supply store )
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: My OC experience

You unholstered and unloaded your firearm in public? Not something I would do.

I would of told the boy no in a very polite way.

I carry for protection, unloading it in public just relinquished me of that protection.

But it may not have been inappropriate at the farm store like you stated.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Centre County)

At the time I unloaded the boy and I were sitting on the tailgate of my truck. I don't talk about things I might have in my truck day to day .

(Luzerne County)

Sounds like a good encounter. Did they invite you over to hunt their land?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Great story, and a good way to get to know the neighbors. Our local Tractor Supply is halfway into the city of Allentown, which I don't understand, but I have OC'd there a number of times without incident.

(Dauphin County)

Nice! That is the sort of OC story I'd love to read everyday!
    in dei gloriam

"Skill in squeezing the trigger is the best life insurance you can get." - WWII Marksman Instructor

(Centre County)

normanvin, yes I did get an invite to hunt with them during small game season. Some of anything I get will be given to them for allowing me to hunt there.

(Luzerne County)

Good deal. Take a few minutes make a little boy happy make some friends get to go hunting.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.