Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help with AR Pistol Build

Ok, so I have a few scary black guns and an extra lower that's begging to be built. It's an Anderson Lower. I just ordered a PSA blemished uppper.

From there, wanted to get your thoughts on the rest of the build. I'm not worried about the ballistics but I do want a reliable weapon. This will mainly be a range toy/fire breather. Here's what I'm thinking:

- Green Mountain 7.5" barrel - http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m23-...rrel-with-ext/
    - Pistol gas system
    - Low profile gas block
    - Midwest Industries 9" Rail - http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_ID=268
    - Noveske KX3 tucked under the rail
    - PSA BCG - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...with-logo.html
    - Thordsen Pistol kit - http://www.thordsencustoms.com/shop/...E-x3607311.htm

Any suggestions on what buffer to use? Anything I'm missing to ensure this is going to go boom? I'm going to get the upper/lower/rail cerekoted white and leave everything else black. I'll likely add the T1 knockoff from Primary arms.

Thanks!

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Help with AR Pistol Build

If I were doing it from the start like you with a super shorty I might consider one of the adjustable lo pro gas blocks out there. It can take some of the dicking around with buffer setups out of the picture ( AKA bandaids for badly overgassed guns ) and allow you some wiggle room with various ammo.

I know the MICRO MOA Govnah is popular with guys who run the DD MK18 10.3 uppers. DD bored the gas port to .85 or something for a stretch of time so it would run on WOLF/TULA etc. When you use mil spec ammo ( and maybe add a suppressor ) you get a gun that is overgassed as fuck and sometimes won't function right despite whatever spring/buffer combo the owners cooked up.

It's $150 IIRC. I don't have any personal experience with one.

ETA. JP and Syrac also offer them, but the Govnah is modular so I guess that is why it's 2x the price. It offers different plate selection etc. Obviously you can also just buy a selection of buffers and springs etc. as well!

Just something to think about. Good luck!
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; January 5th, 2015 at 12:44 AM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

I have a syrac on my ar10. It's nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Wayne County)

Has it tamed the gassing down?. I still don't know why you went with the Chin Brace on your suppressed AR10 pistol, but TEHO. YMMV. OAO. OPP. 610.

The first thing I need to know is the lower you have, registered as a Pistol lower? If not you would be building a short barrel rifle. A SBR with out the proper paper work is a Federal offence.

IANAL
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Wayne County)

Stripped lowers are documented/logged as "other" by the FFL. So they are "non denominational". This is why factory lowers have to go through an FFL and you have to be 21.

IF your FFL documented the stripped lower as a "rifle" they need to unfuck themselves.

So now you have your stripped lower and from there

The rules are positively crystal clear IIRC.....

Unless you put a stock on it, it's not a rifle. You can mate it with your shortie upper. If you put the stock on then it's a rifle and can never be a pistol. Never again. So if there was a stock on your lower previously, say mated with a 16" upper, you cannot swap the pistol extension in and build a "PISTOL" with a shortie upper. If you proceed with putting a shortie upper on that configuration you have built your self an illegal SBR. BAD! Some folks even use a "rifle" extension but never put a stock on it. This is a common thing done by people who are waiting for an ATF NFA TAX stamp and don't want to change extensions or want to stake them while they shoot their PISTOL. THis makes it easy to add the STOCK only when the SBR paperwork comes through. Sometimes this is frowned upon, and other times not. Some people wrap the "rifle" extention so that people can see they have no intent on putting a stock on the pistol/shortie. INTENTS LIKE THAT ARE BAD MMMMKAY. So most people put on a "pistol" extension. Some companies like Rock River arms have "PISTOL" engraved lowers to be extra legal for no reason. This is undesirable if you ever do decide to file the paper work then your titties SBR says "PISTOL" and then you have a fucking identitiy crisis while trying to post forum pics. Anyway... Then the lower becomes a "pistol" lower. Put the shortie upper on and blast.... and DON"T PUT A STOCK ON IT WITHOUT APPROVED NFA PAPERWORK. DON"T EVEN OWN A STOCK. IF THE STOCK IS IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE PISTOL YOU MAY BE THINKING OR HAVE INTENTIONS ABOUT MAKING AN NFA CONTROLLED SHORT BARRELED RIFLE. You are not allowed to have those intentions. Those intentions have more implications than the intentions you have of fucking the hot 20 year old next door. You can buy a nearly stock instead. Sometimes you can put a brace on it that looks like a stock but isn't a stock. Sometimes you can shoulder it, and sometimes you can't. Other times you may build the gun into something else by placing certain objects on the foreend. Angled vertical things are cool, but vertical vertical things are not. DON"T HAVE THE VERTICAL VERTICAL THING EITHER WITH YOUR PISTOL. YOU MAY BE INTENDING ON DOING SOMETHING BAD AGAIN.

IANAL but sometimes I do play one on TV

*industry disclosure
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; January 5th, 2015 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Splittiebus66 View Post
    Has it tamed the gassing down?. I still don't know why you went with the Chin Brace on your suppressed AR10 pistol, but TEHO. YMMV. OAO. OPP. 610.

Yes, it made it much softer.

The Chin Brace is for the earlier versions of a HUD. The recoil impulse is what keeps the round count accurate via haptic feedback.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Splittiebus66 View Post
    Stripped lowers are documented/logged as "other" by the FFL. So they are "non denominational". This is why factory lowers have to go through an FFL and you have to be 21.

IF your FFL documented the stripped lower as a "rifle" they need to unfuck themselves.

So now you have your stripped lower and from there

The rules are positively crystal clear IIRC.....

Unless you put a stock on it, it's not a rifle. You can mate it with your shortie upper. If you put the stock on then it's a rifle and can never be a pistol. Never again. So if there was a stock on your lower previously, say mated with a 16" upper, you cannot swap the pistol extension in and build a "PISTOL" with a shortie upper. If you proceed with putting a shortie upper on that configuration you have built your self an illegal SBR. BAD! Some folks even use a "rifle" extension but never put a stock on it. This is a common thing done by people who are waiting for an ATF NFA TAX stamp and don't want to change extensions or want to stake them while they shoot their PISTOL. THis makes it easy to add the STOCK only when the SBR paperwork comes through. Sometimes this is frowned upon, and other times not. Some people wrap the "rifle" extention so that people can see they have no intent on putting a stock on the pistol/shortie. INTENTS LIKE THAT ARE BAD MMMMKAY. So most people put on a "pistol" extension. Some companies like Rock River arms have "PISTOL" engraved lowers to be extra legal for no reason. This is undesirable if you ever do decide to file the paper work then your titties SBR says "PISTOL" and then you have a fucking identitiy crisis while trying to post forum pics. Anyway... Then the lower becomes a "pistol" lower. Put the shortie upper on and blast.... and DON"T PUT A STOCK ON IT WITHOUT APPROVED NFA PAPERWORK. DON"T EVEN OWN A STOCK. IF THE STOCK IS IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE PISTOL YOU MAY BE THINKING OR HAVE INTENTIONS ABOUT MAKING AN NFA CONTROLLED SHORT BARRELED RIFLE. You are not allowed to have those intentions. Those intentions have more implications than the intentions you have of fucking the hot 20 year old next door. You can buy a nearly stock instead. Sometimes you can put a brace on it that looks like a stock but isn't a stock. Sometimes you can shoulder it, and sometimes you can't. Other times you may build the gun into something else by placing certain objects on the foreend. Angled vertical things are cool, but vertical vertical things are not. DON"T HAVE THE VERTICAL VERTICAL THING EITHER WITH YOUR PISTOL. YOU MAY BE INTENDING ON DOING SOMETHING BAD AGAIN.

IANAL but sometimes I do play one on TV

*industry disclosure
    Tried explaining this to idiots in FB group for Western PA Gun sales... Atleast 3 people were trying to say my pistol was illegal. Ugh

I saw that chin brace video.... my god.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    Tried explaining this to idiots in FB group for Western PA Gun sales... Atleast 3 people were trying to say my pistol was illegal. Ugh

I saw that chin brace video.... my god.
    Oh, what group! I'll join. I need a new place to troll...I mean, browse.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    The first thing I need to know is the lower you have, registered as a Pistol lower? If not you would be building a short barrel rifle. A SBR with out the proper paper work is a Federal offence.

IANAL
    Are you ATF?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast