Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Educate Me: O/U or Semi Auto for Skeet

My club has Trap and Skeet Ranges. Yesterday, for the first time, two friends and I shot a couple of rounds of skeet. It was fun. I want to shoot some more.
    I own and shot a Remington 870 pump action, I like the gun but it seems pump actions on doubles isn't the hot setup. So my question to skeet shooters: O/U or Semi-Auto and why? My budget is around $1200 (no Krieghoff or Perazzi).

Thanks for any advice.

(York County)

Default Re: Educate Me: O/U or Semi Auto for Skeet

It really depends on what you shoot better with, not the price or type of shotgun.

I knew a guy with the means to afford much better who shot a Stoeger Condor O/U and Remington 870 with homemade comb riser to make his gun point where he wanted it to go. He frequently ranked with the top guys with their fancy hand made Italian guns.

Me? I just love the Ithica M-37 pump gun. I just seem to hit things when I pull the old gal out.

(Carbon County)

I've shot plenty of doubles with my old winchester 1200 pump

just a matter of preference

(Delaware County)

My club has skeet and trap too. I haven't shot skeet, but have shot lots of trap.

Personally I use a semi-auto for trap because in general they are lighter than an O/U or side by side. If you plan on shooting for a few hours the weight will come into play.

On the other hand using a break open is better for keeping your spent shells from launching at your neighbors while shooting.

I use a shell catcher on my semi but that only works for singles.

As for the gun itself find one that fits, brand isn't anywhere near important as fit. I've seen guys with $200 shotguns do as well or better than guys with the $10,000 guns.

Have fun.

http://www.scskeet.com/Beginner_skee...nner_Skeet.htm

(Pike County)

I personally would buy an O/U. I prefer them, no deep thoughts here ;-> For $1200 you should be able to find something decent on the used market.

That said, the most cost effective solution is probably a good quality gas gun. I just don't like cleaning them ;->

(Washington County)

I had the same question back in June when I tried skeet once and found my new passion. I was going back and forth between over/under and semi/auto and decided these things after trying each several times at the club:

1: O/U is just traditional, while many people shoot skeet with S/A, I just like the look and feel of an O/U.

2: While a S/A certainly has less recoil, my O/U with a recoil system allows me to shoot 100+ shots without any problems and I have tendinitis in my shooting shoulder.

3: When walking station to station with a O/U, you simply break open the action before you leave the station box and everyone knows you are safe, however with a S/A (even though I verified twice each time to make sure it was clear) I still felt "watched" from the 4 other guys and I understand this because I was watching the other guy's barrel with a S/A.

4: I like the simplicity of an O/U. You walk into the station (remember action is already open), I plant my feet, load 1 or 2 shells, close action and I'm ready. With the S/A that I tried (and this is certainly because not having enough time behind one) the steps never felt natural to me: Slide in one shell, release the little button, slide second shell in if needed, etc. More then once I would pull the trigger and nothing would happen because I forgot to chamber the shell.

5: After shooting with a O/U you simply break open the action and pluck out the shells and put them your pocket, with a S/A you have to go to each station and pick them up afterwards.

6: Say you had a double and one bird came out broke and you already shot the other one, so you go again, with my O/U when I break open the action only the spent shell will eject and I simply replace it, with that S/A that I tried, I would have to load a shell and then hit a little button so it would be in the right position to cycle. I'm not an idiot by any means, but S/A seemed like to much thought process when I'm trying to concentrate on shooting and not "did I load this right", but like I said, it's absolutely because I don't have the time behind a S/A to make it natural for me.

7: Cleaning an O/U is so much simpler then a S/A.

So after about a month of testing shotguns, I went with a Beretta 686 and couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by WCMG; December 31st, 2014 at 09:48 AM.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(York County)

I'm certainly no expert, but even at 6'2", I prefer the shorter length of the O/U. All things equal, stock, barrel, etc. the semi should be 3" longer: the distance to raise the shell in place and move it forward to seat in the chamber. Three inches of extra weight out front feels like the gun swings slower to point. I shoot my Winchester 1300 pump once in a while and it feels the same way, just sort of 'front heavy'.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Bucks County)

I use an O/U 20ga which is lighter than my semi autos

Benneli makes a few semiautos that are great - the super sport and the legacy

I have ruger 12ga and 20ga o/u that i love.

If I were to make a purchase again I would look at the berettas - silver pigeon

BUT, I hunt so all of my guns are used for hunting as well.

Check this place out.

The ATI's are not a bad first o/u especially for the price. You can get ejectors or extractors and they lock up great and will handle the use.

http://www.doubleshotguns.com/

(Lackawanna County)

I used my jm930 pro to do it. 9 plus 1 I didn't have to worry about first round hits so much but I was just shooting it not for score or anything. Anything that slings birdshot will work

(Allegheny County)

I shoot both a Remington 1100 semi and a SKB O/U for skeet. I like them both. Each one has it's advantages and disadvantages, but not enough to really make any difference to me. The biggest thing is the initial cost to get into a skeet gun. A used 1100 is under $500, where as a decent entry level O/U will set you back $800-$1200. The nicer O/U's like the SKB, Berretta, or Browning will cost you $2K+. Personally, I'd start with a lesser expensive semi or O/U and see where you are at a year from now in your newly found sport.

BTW, a shotgun ideal for skeet is probably not ideal for trap and visa versa. But us amateurs can always make do if it's just for fun.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast