Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default XDM compact 40. Thoughts?

Looking for a high cap polymer pistol in 40 or 45. I love my 1911's in 45 and my shield in 9mm is nice, but looking for something with more cap. in a polymer pistol and possibly a better shooter than I am with my shield. My 1911's are great shooters for me and consistent! I have read reviews saying that the SA XDM has more of a 1911 grip? Thoughts from owners of an XDM and comparisons would be appreciated. Joe

(Bucks County)

Default Re: XDM compact 40. Thoughts?

I shot my buddies compact xd, not sure which model it was, but it was a 40 and I shot it every bit as well as his full size xd in the same caliber. If I were looking for a carry gun, it would be on my short list. The grip felt natural, and comfortable, and I really like my 1911 grip. Best you can do is pick one up and get a feel for it.

(Luzerne County)

I have a springfield XDM 4.5 bi-tone in 9mm and it is one of my favorite handguns. I have owned it for going on 4 years now without one problem with it. About a month ago I was lucky enough to get a brand new XDM in 45 which I 'm getting the feel for. Recoil is moderate but very manageable for me. I say buy one!

(Bucks County)

the XDM's are nice guns and i don't think you can go wrong buying one in either 40 or 45 cal. with that said for a nice hicap 40 or 45 checkout the FN FNX 40 or 45. if i remember correctly the 45 holds 14 or 15 rounds.

(York County)

The XDm line is well made, well thought out, and it should serve you well.

Well, since you asked;

40cal is kinda like tits on a bull. The XD/XDm line is probably one of the worst of the polymer striker fired pistols with it's high bore axis and craptastic trigger. I had an XD45 compact. It's the only gun I've ever sold. I also have an extensive amount of time on an XDm40. It was my close friend's and he ended up selling it for a Glock23 and never looked back. For what it's worth, I have two 40 cals. It's the first round I started reloading. High pressure with not much gain in terminal performance over 9mm (if any) and the lose of capacity. Both pistols sit in the safe. Both are H&K USPs (tactical and compact).

My recommendations; look at either 9mm or 45 ACP and unless you're a LEO, skip 40 S&W all together. Look at either Glock, the M&P line, or the FNS. There is a reason as to why they are more popular and more aftermarket support. You're on the right track with going with a striker fired pistol but don't expect the crispness of a 1911 when it comes to the trigger. It is a different feel and you'll adapt just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Wayne County)

It's a "special snowflake" striker gun made chambered in a stupid caliber with a stupid fucking safety and horrid trigger.

My FIL has the compact 9 XD, it fucking blows a giant donkey dick vs my G19. He bought it on a whim after those PSP troopers got smoked by that dickbag up north. AFAICT that's how most people end up with an XD, they don't know bettah. ( this applies to a compact .40 cal as well in general)

I shot the XD and threw up in my mouth and quickly cuddled back up on my Glocks that night. Gently I stroked them and told them "It's alright babies I'll never touch one of those Croatian bitches again"

I left my wife to teach him how to shoot it and she hated the XD too.
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; January 1st, 2015 at 01:59 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Erie County)

Some guys like blondes, some brunettes, and some redheads. Some guys like 'em fat, others skinny.
    So, find what YOU like!
    I really like my XDm compact .40. It does real well in the USPC shoots locally, and holds 16+1. NEVER any issues, very accurate.

But I'm looking for a XD sub compact .40 for EDC, simply because it's slightly lighter, a bit smaller, and more easily concealable.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Splittiebus66 View Post
    It's a "special snowflake" striker gun made chambered in a stupid caliber with a stupid fucking safety and horrid trigger.

My FIL has the compact 9 XD, it fucking blows a giant donkey dick vs my G19. He bought it on a whim after those PSP troopers got smoked by that dickbag up north. AFAICT that's how most people end up with an XD, they don't know bettah. ( this applies to a compact .40 cal as well in general)

I shot the XD and threw up in my mouth and quickly cuddled back up on my Glocks that night. Gently I stroked them and told them "It's alright babies I'll never touch one of those Croatian bitches again"

I left my wife to teach him how to shoot it and she hated the XD too.

Lol.

Nice avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Montgomery County)

XDm40 was my first gun. I haven't touched it in years and only kept it because it was my first gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast