Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Mountain Lion sighting

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Supplemental Toilet Paper.
    then what is he saving the corn cobs for?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    then what is he saving the corn cobs for?
    Yer mom!

Sorry, just had to, can't let one like that hanging.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

I can't believe this is still going on! As I stated in post #49: In 2005 my wife and I watched a cougar for about 5 minutes from a range of about 50 feet. We didn't have a camera or a phone with us. I have been a hunter, trapper and "wildlife nut" most of my 73 years. There is absolutely NO DOUBT what it was. Having said that, I have to say that in the last 15 years I have seen absolutely 0 sign of any cat larger than a bob-cat....no visual, no track, no scat...NADA! I assume I saw a rare cat roaming through or an escaped "pet"....but I still keep looking.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
    I can't believe this is still going on! As I stated in post #49: In 2005 my wife and I watched a cougar for about 5 minutes from a range of about 50 feet. We didn't have a camera or a phone with us. I have been a hunter, trapper and "wildlife nut" most of my 73 years. There is absolutely NO DOUBT what it was. Having said that, I have to say that in the last 15 years I have seen absolutely 0 sign of any cat larger than a bob-cat....no visual, no track, no scat...NADA! I assume I saw a rare cat roaming through or an escaped "pet"....but I still keep looking.
    Clearly you*re caving to the main stream media.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Bucks County)

Cougar gestation period is a mere 92 days, birthing 2-4. Male cougars, being felines, LOVE and insist upon sex. Doing the math, there should be inch and a quarter thick scat by kills, kills, footprints, trail cam photos galore in the 15 years since the last known sighting. Assuming migration from other states, sightings will begin at our borders and work inward.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Every year in PA there are many thousands of traps put in the ground by fox, coyote, and bobcat trappers. If they exist, surely at some point someone somewhere would have caught one.

Those traps can easily hold an adult mountain lion.

In addition, other than very blurry pictures occasionally popping up, there are no road kills, verified tracks, or scat presented.

People who think they’ve seen one will never be convinced otherwise and I would love to see one, but until there is something more concrete than those fuzzy pictures, I have to believe they do not exist in PA.

(Bucks County)

From the little I know of it, it seems a long bushy tail is usually the basis of the "sighting". Is it possible that there are variants of bobcat with longer, bushy tails? The male cougar weighs up to 200 pounds, the female cougar up to 120. A female cougar of a weight less than 120 and having a bushier tail than normal would likely be mistaken for a cougar during a brief observation. Smaller body, slightly longer and bushier tail, giving a ratio having the appearance of a cougar.
    Last edited by Bang; January 12th, 2021 at 08:27 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    From the little I know of it, it seems a long bushy tail is usually the basis of the "sighting". Is it possible that there are variants of bobcat with longer, bushy tails? The male cougar weighs up to 200 pounds, the female cougar up to 120. A female cougar of a weight less than 120 and having a bushier tail than normal would likely be mistaken for a cougar during a brief observation. Smaller body, slightly longer and bushier giving a ratio having the appearance of a cougar.
    Help me out in understanding this: "A female cougar of a weight less than 120 and having a bushier tail than normal would likely be mistaken for a cougar during a brief observation."

A female cougar being mistaken for a cougar?

If it is a cougar does that not meet the criteria of being a cougar?

Rick

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RLS View Post
    Help me out in understanding this: "A female cougar of a weight less than 120 and having a bushier tail than normal would likely be mistaken for a cougar during a brief observation."

A female cougar being mistaken for a cougar?

If it is a cougar does that not meet the criteria of being a cougar?

Rick
    Replace female cougar with horny old bag and it works.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

I also set up 5 trail cameras around my property and have never seen anything cougar-ish. And, as far as what I saw being a bobcat, I have seen dozens of lynx and bobcat and a few cougars. There is no way anyone with even a little knowledge of felines could make that mistake. Almost every part of a cougar is different than the others. A cougar is much larger and moves differently. The next one I see will be the second.

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast