Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being prepared

(Mifflin County)

Default Being prepared

Recently a discussion on face book regarding being prepared as a concealed carrier 1 thing needed is the contact info for a lawyer who knows and deals with gun laws and what happens after the event. My question now, is there a list I could carry with me? Should I call ask them if they can be called? What else should I be thinking of or asking regarding this issue? I hope I never do need but like practicing and making sure the gun works this seems like a good idea.

mark61

(Warren County)

Default Re: Being prepared

My cell phone has the number of my attorney in it.

You may want to retain a guy who is experienced in PA gunlaws who is local to you. If you ever need him, you don't want a 5 hour drive for him before he can pry you out of a jail cell.

And yes, it is smart to line one up before Bad Things Happen.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Chester County)

Hadn't really thought of this, although, I'd say this scenario takes "being prepared" to a whole new level...

(Mifflin County)

I should be clearer. I am asking for contact information of lawyers who can and will deal with this situation.

(Berks County)

No list.
    Phil Kline
    Joshua Prince
    Call and ask about a retainer fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Call and ask about a retainer fee.
    I see this advice a lot, and wonder if anyone has ever actually done it -- and if so under what conditions. As I understand it a retainer is usually an advance against future legal fees (though it can be structured as nonrefundable). It may depend on the laws of the particular state. At any rate it may require the attorney to escrow the funds and pay interest if services are not rendered. Since the likelihood of actually needing his/her services is far beyond remote, this would be far more hassle than most attorneys would care to deal with. Checking out attorneys up front and carrying a business card is certainly a good idea, but I suspect that not many will be willing to spend a lot of time and effort on a client who will almost certainly never need his/her services.

I tried to post this earlier but put it in the wrong thread.

At one of GunLawyers workshops (well worth the time and cost) he suggested being prepared to call a gun related lawyer if something bad does happen. Even if they can not travel to your area, they may be able to help guide you through the early steps and put you in touch with a good lawyer in your area who is more accessible and able to help. After reading his many posts here over the years I had Gunlawyers card in my wallet (until I spilled coffee on the wallet ruining everything in it) and his number is in my phone just in case. There are certain things in life that you only get to handle right once. Your actions after a self defense shooting is one of them.

Most people will probably go through their life never needing to call the number. I will certainly be happy to go to my grave never needing my gun and would of course prefer that, but if something does happen, you will be glad to have the number of a lawyer and someone who can help you in a time that will be about as stressful as can be.

You could wait until after a self defense shooting to figure things out, or get a number in your phone now. I would opt for now.

A quick look on line shows Gunlawyer's number.

(215) 538-4444

You can always find other numbers with a quick search.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I tried to post this earlier but put it in the wrong thread.

At one of GunLawyers workshops (well worth the time and cost) he suggested being prepared to call a gun related lawyer if something bad does happen. Even if they can not travel to your area, they may be able to help guide you through the early steps and put you in touch with a good lawyer in your area who is more accessible and able to help. After reading his many posts here over the years I had Gunlawyers card in my wallet (until I spilled coffee on the wallet ruining everything in it) and his number is in my phone just in case. There are certain things in life that you only get to handle right once. Your actions after a self defense shooting is one of them.

Most people will probably go through their life never needing to call the number. I will certainly be happy to go to my grave never needing my gun and would of course prefer that, but if something does happen, you will be glad to have the number of a lawyer and someone who can help you in a time that will be about as stressful as can be.

You could wait until after a self defense shooting to figure things out, or get a number in your phone now. I would opt for now.

A quick look on line shows Gunlawyer's number.

(215) 538-4444

You can always find other numbers with a quick search.
    This.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Blair County)

I signed up with CCW Safe about a year ago, mainly because I had no other resource at the time. Not sure if I will continue yearly with them or switch to USCCA, seems some of the bells and whistles are different between the two and as yet I can't find where either one has been tested!

(Northampton County)

This guy is in Pittsburgh:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast