Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default TRIGGER SCALE (Your Kiddin')-pic

Just recently I sent my H&R .204 Ruger back to the factory, for a trigger weight adjustment. I asked if 3 to 3 1/2 pounds was do-able. The Service Writer on the phone noted that.

A few months prior to this, I had the trigger pull / tension tested by 2 different gun shops. One weight tested 5.6 lbs, the other had the line at a hair over 6 lbs. The variance did not bother me, because I was going to do a self test.

Out came my tester (see pic). YOUR KIDDIN' ME ! ! !

My tester is 1) plastic water jug 2) 30 lb test monofilament fishin' line 3) Water

The formula is 6 cups of water = 3 lbs in weight----------Sooooo now for my home test. I put 10 cups of water into the jug (short of 6lbs) and attached fishin' line to trigger and gently lifted. The trigger did not respond. I added 2 more cups, now 12 cups and should be close to 6lbs. I got a BOINK. The trigger released. STOP LAUGHIN' I CAN HEAR YOU !

When the firearm came back from H&R I did the same test twice with 6 cups of water (= 3lbs). Slowly lifting there was one edge of the jug barely touching the floor when it BOINKED. YIKES ! ! ! around 3 lbs ????

I know the trigger is really creamy since I got it back from the factory. Very serious target shooters want it really precise, but this is close enough for me.
    Plus I can't do anything about it and it is basically free of cost.

When I get the chance, I will have it tested by a digital trigger tension / pull scale VS my BOINK tester. Results to be published at a later date.

Also, make sure you do not have a live one in the chamber. You will get more than a BOINK.
    fossil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: TRIGGER SCALE (Your Kiddin')-pic

WTH? Go get a fish/pound scale out of your wife's tackle box and do it like a normal person!

(Perry County)

Default Re: TRIGGER SCALE (Your Kiddin')-pic

Mine is much more intricate. I use one my wife's/daugher's metal hair barrettes rapped in a layer of tape to prevent slip. The barrette keeps the string from dragging on the frame and grip. The strings attach to a kids cup with holes on either side and skewer running through the holes. I then slowly add bullets until the trigger releases. I check it again a few time and then I weigh the rig on my digital scale.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Delaware County)

A child's beach sand bucket and lead shot for mine. Weigh the results on a postal scale.

(Bucks County)

The NRA official weights is a heavy wire hook and slotted discs of 1-pound, half-pounds and quarter pounds. I have a total of 4-1/2 pounds of weights for mine. Using known weights comprised of water or anything calculable is the same principle. Not laughing. Never laugh at resourcefulness. I have an algorithm for myself. I picture a poor man living in a very desolate and rural part of Mexico with no industry or commerce. I then ask myself, "What would Jose' do?"

(Berks County)

How much do you think the jug weighs empty?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrat View Post
    How much do you think the jug weighs empty?
    Probably less than a duck.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    The NRA official weights is a heavy wire hook and slotted discs of 1-pound, half-pounds and quarter pounds. I have a total of 4-1/2 pounds of weights for mine. Using known weights comprised of water or anything calculable is the same principle. Not laughing. Never laugh at resourcefulness. I have an algorithm for myself. I picture a poor man living in a very desolate and rural part of Mexico with no industry or commerce. I then ask myself, "What would Jose' do?"
    Hey Bang:

This is a good analogy (or algorithm): Swap Jose for John, then add on fixed income. No, I am not cryin', We (my bride & me) love the lifestyle and I keep addin' on another year. That's a huge bonus ! Looking for another 2 1/2 months to start giving those groundhogs a go. Making it to the end of the season (October), gives me a decent shot at doing it again the next year (2016).

This game, the 'Game of Life' , the only game in town, sure is fun.

fossil (aka John)----Ps; Mrat & Streaker. Workin' on the weight of the jug. Doin' a Scales of Justice with plastic worm weights. 1/16, 1/8, oz, etc.
    Last edited by ImAfossil; December 24th, 2014 at 06:52 AM. Reason: add & fix
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Berks County)

The formula is 6 cups of water = 3 lbs in weight----------Sooooo now for my home test. I put 10 cups of water into the jug (short of 6lbs) and attached fishin' line to trigger and gently lifted. The trigger did not respond. I added 2 more cups, now 12 cups and should be close to 6lbs. I got a BOINK. The trigger released. STOP LAUGHIN' I CAN HEAR YOU !
    No laughing here....a gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds....you did a fine job if you ask me. 1 pint= 1 lb (roughly). You did a good job for a simple do it yourself test.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Probably less than a duck.
    African or European?

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast