Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default *UPDATED RANGE REPORT*Question for SA revolver folks

*see post #13 for my updated range report.

I recently acquired a Ruger Super Blackhawk Talo (3.75 inch barrel), and this is my first SA revolver ever.

I took it to the range yesterday for the first time, and it functioned perfectly. Put about a dozen 44 spl. through it, and about 2 dozen .44 magnums through it. All were of the 240 gr. weight.

Since this is my first time with a SA revolver, I wonder if the gun itself is 'off', or if I just need more practice with this platform. I've attached two targets: the first one has 6 rounds of 44 spl. and 6 of the 44 mags. Notice how the magnums are all to the left, and the specials (I've circled them) are grouped decently. All were done @ ~8 yards.

For reference, I've attached a target of my most accurate gun I own, a S&W hand ejector .38 spl. 12 shots at ~8 yards, all done from double action.

I do notice that on the Ruger SBH, the front site is SLIGHTLY canted to the right (when I look down the sights), but this is pretty minimal. I noticed that the rear sights are drifted to right several clicks.

Do I just need more practice with the single action? Or is there a possibilty that the gun itself is 'off'?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by American1776; December 18th, 2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: updated

Default Re: Question for SA revolver folks

Anticipating the recoil perhaps?

Different loads will almost always print to a different point of aim. Even the same load from the same maker , but from a different lot. Especially in big bore revolvers. Just how much can vary from a little bit to a good bit.

Getting comfortable with the relatively mild recoil of .44 Special loads , and then shooting some harder kicking magnums can certainly open up groups too.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Different loads will almost always print to a different point of aim. Even the same load from the same maker , but from a different lot. Especially in big bore revolvers. Just how much can vary from a little bit to a good bit.

Getting comfortable with the relatively mild recoil of .44 Special loads , and then shooting some harder kicking magnums can certainly open up groups too.
    That's interesting, I didn't know that.

My .41 mag S&W always shot like a laser for me, but maybe it was just me.

As for the recoil, I wonder if I am flinching with the magnums.

(Chester County)

When I doubt the sights on a handgun, I squat on one knee and rest my hands on a bench, which fortunately our club has. This helps to prevent downward jerks and figure 8 movements.

I fire the first shot and use that as the target. If I'm within an inch, then it's me.

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    That's interesting, I didn't know that.

My .41 mag S&W always shot like a laser for me, but maybe it was just me.

As for the recoil, I wonder if I am flinching with the magnums.
    I own a dozen .41 mags and one thing is they are very consistant in throats , and ammo in very consistant at .410 bullet dia.

.44 Specials and Mags can run from .429-.431. I've measured throats as big as .435.

Have you tried lighter loads in the .41? Any .41 Specials?

And before anyone says, "there's no such thing as a .41 Special!" Starline did a special run of .41 Special headstamped brass. Yep , 1/10th shorter than a .41 mag too. Especially made for ranges with a 'NO MAGNUMS' rule.

I own a dozen .41 mags and one thing is they are very consistant in throats , and ammo in very consistant at .410 bullet dia.

.44 Specials and Mags can run from .429-.431. I've measured throats as big as .435.

Have you tried lighter loads in the .41? Any .41 Specials?

And before anyone says, "there's no such thing as a .41 Special!" Starline did a special run of .41 Special headstamped brass. Yep , 1/10th shorter than a .41 mag too. Especially made for ranges with a 'NO MAGNUMS' rule.

Thanks for the info. I do know about .41 special, never got a hold of any.

Had a few .44s years ago. Double and single actions. Had a hard time finding 1 load that shot satisfactorily in all of them.

Not so with the .41 mag. I haven't found many loads that don't shoot great in all my guns.

Had a few .44s years ago. Double and single actions. Had a hard time finding 1 load that shot satisfactorily in all of them.

Not so with the .41 mag. I haven't found many loads that don't shoot great in all my guns.
    Thanks for the info on your experience. I did have a Ruger Alaskan .44 mag that for me was supremely accurate. Perhaps it was a freakish example.

Maybe i need more time with this Super Black Hawk. I suspect it might be the plow-handle and the longer hammer throw that might be throwing me off. Hopefully the gun doesn't need any fixing itself.

Wink Re: Question for SA revolver folks

The only .44 mag I still own is the most accurate one.

An Old Model Ruger Super Blackhawk!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast