Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Carbon Co concealed Carry Permit Question

Hello All,

I have a couple questions regarding the rules in carbon county for obtaining a concealed Carry permit. I unfortunately allowed my license to carry expire about 10 months ago and would like to renew it now.

Question 1: Does the sheriffs rule about having in county resident references apply to renewals? I am in a similar situation to many on this forum in that I have many references available, but I do not have any in carbon county. The two references I had when I first obtained my license in carbon county have moved out of the county.

Question 2: If in county references are needed for renewals, has anyone found a work around for the rule imposed by the sheriff?

Thanks in advance for your help.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Carbon Co concealed Carry Permit Question

The LTCF application form and process was created by the PA State Police per the Uniform Firearms Act

Sheriffs have zero power or authority to make, edit or set their own rules

Your references can be from anywhere in the world as long as they are "not family".

Submit your application and if the Sheriff has an issue, ask him to point out in statute or on the OFFICIAL 1 PAGE application where it states they must be in county

hint: its not
    Last edited by BimmerJon; December 14th, 2014 at 11:26 PM.

(Carbon County)

Thanks and I completely agree. But from what I've read, carbon county won't accept the application if the references are out of county. Everything I read so far is in reference to new applications. I was hoping there might be some leniency on renewals.

Thanks again.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jwh1972 View Post
    Thanks and I completely agree. But from what I've read, carbon county won't accept the application if the references are out of county. Everything I read so far is in reference to new applications. I was hoping there might be some leniency on renewals.

Thanks again.
    New applications and renewals are treated in the same exact way.
    There is no difference

You seem to be aware of what the law states and what is legally required of you.
    You also seem to be aware that the Sheriff is breaking the law.
    Sheriff has no authority to refuse your application

Next steps are up to you

Let us know if you need any more info

(Carbon County)

Thanks. I may try to submit it with my out of county references and take it from there.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jwh1972 View Post
    Thanks. I may try to submit it with my out of county references and take it from there.
    Gunlawyer001 posts on this a lot

If they refuse it, you an file a compliant as "constructive denial" or something

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is no legal sense in which something can be a mandatory part of your application, without it being part of your application. That sounds like one of those useless sentences, but it's what some counties are trying to do by adding pages or fees or hoops to the process.

The process is required to be uniform, the application is provided by the state. Any deviation from that is unlawful and illegal.
    ."
    Good luck!

(Carbon County)

Thanks for the advice. I'll see how it goes.

(Dauphin County)

If you have the option, you might want to have someone along with you as a witness (just call them a friend who's interested in the process, or whatever, something less confrontational than "witness") when you apply. If you end up having to fight a constructive denial it may be helpful to have someone who can testify that they saw you attempt to give the sheriff/deputy/clerk the completed application and application fee.

If you hand it across and someone takes it, I suggest you don't take it back even if they try to return it. If you put the application and fee in the hands of the sheriff or his designated representative, you've applied. Don't let them make you "unapply".
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Carbon County)

I recently had my Lehigh County license run out. I have been up here a few years and just got a renewal for Carbon. I find it odd so many people on this forum cannot come up with 2 references from people that are not habitual law breakers or frequent flyers on the DUI list. I am not a real social flower but at least know a few people that are not total @#$holes. Some of you need to get out more. If you can come up with a witness to take along with you, that should be one reference right there.
    Last edited by Gunplummer; May 30th, 2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    I recently had my Lehigh County license run out. I have been up here a few years and just got a renewal for Carbon. I find it odd so many people on this forum cannot come up with 2 references from people that are not habitual law breakers or frequent flyers on the DUI list. I am not a real social flower but at least know a few people that are not total @#$holes. Some of you need to get out more. If you can come up with a witness to take along with you, that should be one reference right there.
    This is a straw man argument. No one has ever said what you're saying here.

The problem is that typically that they don't want other people to know that they (probably) own firearms, or that they might be legally concealing them. I know countless numbers of people in my county. The subset of that group that I want to know that I'm licensed to carry is much, much smaller.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast