Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Re: Carbon Co concealed Carry Permit Question

What you just said is the first time I ever heard that. It sucks to be you, I guess. That is NOT what the OP is implying here. He stated that he let his previous license run out. He KNOWS how it works. At some point he HAD references. Why does he want to go around the system now? I have had a license for a long time. The ease of getting a license now is nothing compared to what it once was. It is harder to get a drivers license. If you cannot abide by a few simple rules to obtain a carry permit, that is too bad.

**Drop down a couple threads. There is a guy actually trolling for references on this forum. Maybe you want to help?
    Last edited by Gunplummer; May 31st, 2015 at 08:15 PM. Reason: add

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    What you just said is the first time I ever heard that. It sucks to be you, I guess. That is NOT what the OP is implying here. He stated that he let his previous license run out. He KNOWS how it works. At some point he HAD references. Why does he want to go around the system now? I have had a license for a long time. The ease of getting a license now is nothing compared to what it once was. It is harder to get a drivers license. If you cannot abide by a few simple rules to obtain a carry permit, that is too bad.

**Drop down a couple threads. There is a guy actually trolling for references on this forum. Maybe you want to help?
    You made a false argument. What you said, about the OP only knowing criminals and drunks in his county, is not what he said. He said he has people he'd like to use as references who should be perfectly acceptable under state law. It's not his fault the sheriff is imposing an illegal additional requirement upon the application process.

Sucks to be me? No, I got my license with no problem. But over the years there have been plenty of posts here from people who don't want to let anyone else know that they might be carrying a concealed firearm. Because it's no one else's business. Sometimes they know people they wouldn't mind using as a reference but they don't live in the same county. Under state law, which says the Pennsylvania State Police write the application form and establish provisions to ensure compliance, references from another county should be fine.

The problem here is a sheriff acting as a law unto himself, not the OP.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Carbon County)

The OP stated he let his license run out. Where are the original references now? Dead? The request is not an unreasonable one, and it IS other peoples business if you are a habitual drunk or the neighborhood troublemaker. Maybe not the OP, but there are people out there with a license that should never have gotten one.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    The OP stated he let his license run out. Where are the original references now? Dead? The request is not an unreasonable one, and it IS other peoples business if you are a habitual drunk or the neighborhood troublemaker. Maybe not the OP, but there are people out there with a license that should never have gotten one.
    The answer to your question is in the original post.

The two references I had when I first obtained my license in carbon county have moved out of the county.

(Carbon County)

Well I'm going this week with 2 references from the next county. That's all I have right now. I hope they are fine with it. I just don't want anyone know I carry. Hope it works.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by hexter1 View Post
    Well I'm going this week with 2 references from the next county. That's all I have right now. I hope they are fine with it. I just don't want anyone know I carry. Hope it works.
    If you give them the application and the fee you've applied. They either have to approve or deny your application, and there's no basis in law to deny it for "non-county residents". If they say they won't "accept" it they're effectively denying you illegally, whether or not they want to admit it. They have no discretion in whether or not they accept an application, they may only issue or deny a license one you've properly applied (by submitting a valid application and fee).

Hate to bump an antique thread- but has anyone had any success obtaining a LTCF without 'two references that exist in Carbon County'?

My girlfriend has recently moved to Carbon County- and it seems that the sheriff has made his own rules to require the two references to also reside in Carbon County.
    She doesn't feel up to confronting the sheriff should her application not be accepted because of out-of-county references.

So curious if there ever was a refusal to accept due to including out-of-county references.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogpupkus View Post
    Hate to bump an antique thread- but has anyone had any success obtaining a LTCF without 'two references that exist in Carbon County'?

My girlfriend has recently moved to Carbon County- and it seems that the sheriff has made his own rules to require the two references to also reside in Carbon County.
    She doesn't feel up to confronting the sheriff should her application not be accepted because of out-of-county references.

So curious if there ever was a refusal to accept due to including out-of-county references.
    "Refusal to accept" isn't an option. Either mail it certified mail with return receipt, or drop it off in person with a witness or two. The former might be easier for the applicant. The Sheriff has 2 choices. Issue or deny. Denial must coincide with a specific reason outlined in the statute.

Another option that might be worth a shot is to hire a 2A friendly attorney to have a brief conversation with the Sheriff about this "rule". You may save the cost of a formal appeal, and the Sheriff may prefer not to be publicly embarrassed by losing if he thinks he'll be called out if he continues his insistence.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Luzerne County)

Monroe County Sheriff used to ‘illegally’ require references be from his county too, but I think he got spanked over it. Over on AR15.com, I was replying to a thread about this issue and I double checked the county site and all it says now is “references”.....nothing about them having to be from Monroe County. The same should apply to Carbon County.

(Luzerne County)

I just checked Carbon County Sheriffs site and it does says, the references must be from Carbon County, an illegal requirement. It also says no applications will be processed through the mail, they must be brought in person, by the applicant. Sounds like the sheriff is looking for a visit from a gun friendly attorney.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast