Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Finally filled my doe tag

After 5 uneventful trips (ie NO deer to be seen), I finally get one!

Night before trip, Im at the gun store working. I have a box of 308 150grain ammo in hand. Price, $20.00. I figure maybe pick up a box, but nah, Ive got plenty back home. About an hour later and at home, I go through the ammo cans only to see that all the cans are 150gr FMJ or Match King reloads. The two boxes of Remington Core-lokt 150gr have nothing but empty cases in them.

Damn.

So off to Walmart I go. Besides a box of ammo, Ill pick up some cold cuts for lunch on my hunt.

The shelves are bare except for a bunch of 30-06 and one lonely box of Federal Premium Barnes Lead-Free Triple shock 308 150gr. Price: $45.99

Damn.

So much for lunch meats. I get home, wife notices my bag from Walmart is a lil light (she thought cold cuts was a good idea), tell her the price of the ammo and that Id decided Ill take bananas, almonds and some power bars and water with me instead.

Trip started at 4:30AM. Got up, dressed and packed the car and off to Sheetz for coffee, egg sandwich and gas. After a 30 minute drive, Im at my friends house (he has several fields as well as woods all around his property and the neighboring family owned land). We head out for a copse of trees to set up. It's almost 6am. We sit and await daybreak. As I cradle my rifle, I tell him what happened with me and the ammo. He beings to swear that Ill be shooting too low and Im wasting my time.

The entire day, we are battling 50mph winds, snow, sleet and snow again. We spook about 2 deer as we trek everywhere in search of prey. These things are seriously bedded down. Around 3PM, we hear a shot, so off we go in search of the shooter. It's an elderly neighbor of his who is sitting in a heated stand situated on the top of a hill overlooking three fields. Nice set up, gas heater, a counter, a four rifle rack, three folding chairs and two barstools as well as three swing open windows. My friend tells him, we'll come back and help him gut his doe, and off we go again.

Around 4:40, with no luck we turn back to help with his neighbors doe. As my friend is getting ready to gut, he tells me to head to the tower to get warmed up.

As Im talking to his neighbor, he tells me from which window he shot the doe, so we sit there. About a minute into the conversation, out of the corner of my eye, I see the doe begin to break from the woods into the farmers field. He opens the window for me as I ease the rifle out. Just as I lay the cross hairs on her and flip off the safety, she stops, lifts her head up and looks at me. I take the shot, down she goes.

We take the buggy and drive out, it's a 170+ yard shot. Bullet entered just above the left shoulder and we dont see an exit wound. As we gut her, we notice the chest cavity contents have turned to liquid. We see whats left of the heart, bullet took away about half of it; and we see where the bullet exited just under the right shoulder. We guesstimate she was around 90lbs or so.

We bring her back to a shed he has, and we skin her. I took it home to butcher it. I was exhausted, but I cleaned my Ruger M77 MkII SS anyway before turning in. Now I developed a pretty nasty chest cold

It was a great trip, alot of fun, and I cant wait to do it again next year! Minus the chest cold.

In my excitement, I didnt get a picture
    Last edited by spacemanvic; December 14th, 2014 at 12:47 AM.
    Hold the Line...

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Finally filled my doe tag

Congratulations. I headed north to my parents farm in DuBois (only 40 mph winds there) and didn't see a deer on Saturday. Where the 18 I saw on opening day went, I have no idea.

This morning, about 7 AM, I look out their kitchen window and there are 2 does in the pasture. One runs across the front yard, about 10 yds from the front porch.

C'est la vie.

I'm going to give muzzleloader a whirl this year, we'll see what happens.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Congratulations. I headed north to my parents farm in DuBois (only 40 mph winds there) and didn't see a deer on Saturday. Where the 18 I saw on opening day went, I have no idea.

This morning, about 7 AM, I look out their kitchen window and there are 2 does in the pasture. One runs across the front yard, about 10 yds from the front porch.

C'est la vie.

I'm going to give muzzleloader a whirl this year, we'll see what happens.

Dale
    Thank you!

Ran across a buck and a doe cutting across the road from one farm field to another on my way to work.

Just works out that way LOL
    Hold the Line...

(Somerset County)

Yeah, the first Saturday, I headed out to SGL 50 and was at a parking area off Mud Pike when I discovered I forgot my license. Went home to get it and on the way back, 2 bucks ran across the road in front of me. They came out of posted ground and ran into posted ground then stopped about 20 feet off the road and looked at me. I think they were laughing too!

Dale

(Berks County)

Nice job. Better and easier job than how I filled my first doe tag this year. Things happen fast don't they...