Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: dillon xl650 or hornady LNL AP

Agreed I got mine from the Brian Enos Store as well

(Delaware County)

I have the 650 and load 9, 40, 45 and .223. Great press. Having the 5th station with the powder check is a big deal for me and great insurance policy.
    I made a video a while back loading 9mm.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xawP...QthPHlKFkrzDGg

(Lackawanna County)

I actually watched your video before I bought mine

Quote Originally Posted by nitro570 View Post
    Just got a 550 last week and love it,never had an LNL so take it for what its worth. Brian Enos had the best deals. Good luck.
    That is a great web site. His book is the best thing I have ever read about shooting a handgun.

I extensively researched both of these presses several years ago and ended up going with the LNL. The two main reasons I went with the LNL was the lower price plus free bullets and the other was that the case insertion and bullet station are both on the left side of the press. This allows me to keep my right hand on the handle and the left hand inserts brass and bullets. Also with the bullet station sitting right in front of me I visually check each round in addition to using a RCBS lockout die. I dont run any feeders.

The weakest link in any progressive press is going to be the priming system. After polishing the primer slide my priming has been perfect. I reload 45ACP and 223REM.

Whichever press you choose will serve you well. Enjoy!

(Berks County)

Thanks for all the helpful input. I'm 99% sure I'm going blue.

(Lackawanna County)

Good choice as far I'm concerned.

(Westmoreland County)

When this question is ask, the Dillon will always get more "votes" than the LNL. Why? Because the Dillon has far more owners than the LNL does. This is because the Dillon came to market long before Hornady came out with their much improved LNL. Prior to the LNL they had something called a "Projector" or something like that. It was, from what I understand, a fussy machine and not liked much except by those who worked with machinery a lot.

So, you will always get more Dillon votes vs Hornady votes. Look at any web site and this is true.

I purchased my LNL about 7 years ago. I also purchase two updates for it. Or I think the first one was free because of my S\N and then I bought the new and better case ejector. I also purchased a case feeder when I bought mine new. I load 45acp, 44 -MAG, 223's (only after I decap and trim each on my rockchucker) 30 Carbine....before my Carbine when south, and 357's. The machine works like a champ. Hornady has replaced the brass feed push bar twice (I think twice) for free, no questions asked.

Either one will make you good ammo. But YOU still have to pay attention to what your doing. As for claims of XXXX per hour. That's all BS. Who really want's to work that hard at a hobby and who wants to crank ammo out that fast......without paying attention to the product that may make your firearm get destroyed?

I don't.

FWIW

Bought my first set-up directly from Dillon back around '90. Came with a VHS tape. Only had a few minor adjustments till I was cranking out nice rounds. For other calibers , I just called Dillon and ordered complete caliber conversions and they sent exactly what I needed. Caliber changes take only a few minutes. I haven't had to reset my .45 ACP or .38 Special powder measure or dies in years after thousands of rounds. Same powder/charge and bullet of course. Swap toolhead and shell plate and go.

Hornady makes top notch stuff. But their progressive stuff seems a bit more complicated to change over.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Monroe County)

I've used both machines, the Hornady is much more comfortable to run without a case feeder and I believe Hornady's powder measure is superior to Dillion's.

Hard to go wrong with either one. The XXX rounds per hour is moot as it really depends on how fast you replenish primers, powder, cases, and bullets.

That said, there seems to be no koolaid, like blue koolaid

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast