Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default first cowboy gun

For a long time I've had an itch to get a single action revolver in a serious caliber. After a lot of back and forth, I decided on the Ruger Super Blackhawk TALO special with the 3.75 inch barrel. This will be a carry piece.

I found one in pristine condition at a LSG for a good price and decided to close the deal. It's hefty (44 oz), but not too long, and the short plow-grip seems to carry well. It fits in an N-Frame holster, and with a shirt over the gun, it'll disappear just fine.

This is my first Single Action Revolver, so I'm new to this platform. Anyone else have one of these little beasts? I have a feeling this will jump around quite a bit with the heavy Buffalo Bore 300 gr. .44 mags I have, but it will also make .44 spl. feel like a plinker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Bucks County)

Default Re: first cowboy gun

It's like a pretty girl. She looks great, and you need to hold on tight.

Good luck. That's a nice looking gun. Let us know how it shoots for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    It's like a pretty girl. She looks great, and you need to hold on tight.

Good luck. That's a nice looking gun. Let us know how it shoots for you.
    Thanks. She is a beauty. Those wood grips look REALLY nice up close. Ruger seems to have gotten right with this one.

I had a Ruger Alaskan, and that tamed the heavy .44 mag stuff pretty well--I wonder if the Single Action ergonomics will be a lot different.

(Montgomery County)

Nice! Love the un-fluted cylinder.

Does this have a transfer bar or are you carrying hammer down on empty chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Nice! Love the un-fluted cylinder.

Does this have a transfer bar or are you carrying hammer down on empty chamber?
    It has the transfer bar, so it can be safely carried with 6.

From what I understand, these are limited runs with the 3.75'' barrel.

I agree, the unfluted cylinder looks very sleek.

(Dauphin County)

That looks real nice!

Does it have the longer cylinder that will accommodate those heavy Buffalo Bore loads (as well as others). Many of those are loaded longer than the standard OAL for .44 Magnum, and will only fit in certain guns with a longer cylinder. I also remember reading that for many of those heavy loads, it is not recommended to shoot them out of a gun with a barrel shorter than 4". Don't ask for a reference, I can't remember where I read it.

My opinion, if you are carrying it for personal defense from 2-legged creatures, those heavy, hard cast lead bullets are not what you should use. They will seriously over penetrate through 2 or 3 people till they stop. Stick to jacketed hollow points in lighter weights, or .44 Special defense ammo. Now for woods defense, that's another story.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    That looks real nice!

Does it have the longer cylinder that will accommodate those heavy Buffalo Bore loads (as well as others). Many of those are loaded longer than the standard OAL for .44 Magnum, and will only fit in certain guns with a longer cylinder. I also remember reading that for many of those heavy loads, it is not recommended to shoot them out of a gun with a barrel shorter than 4". Don't ask for a reference, I can't remember where I read it.

My opinion, if you are carrying it for personal defense from 2-legged creatures, those heavy, hard cast lead bullets are not what you should use. They will seriously over penetrate through 2 or 3 people till they stop. Stick to jacketed hollow points in lighter weights, or .44 Special defense ammo. Now for woods defense, that's another story.
    Thanks for the info.

I've read that this will accept ALL the heavy factory loads (340 grain monsters).

For two legged predators I like the 250 grain Keith load 44 spl. When camping in the stix I'll have it loaded with 300 grain Buffalo Bore hard cast.

I like the versatility of this gun.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I've read that this will accept ALL the heavy factory loads (340 grain monsters).

For two legged predators I like the 250 grain Keith load 44 spl. When camping in the stix I'll have it loaded with 300 grain Buffalo Bore hard cast.

I like the versatility of this gun.
    I figured it would, I think there are only a handful of Rugers that won't, but I wasn't sure.

I recently picked up a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum, with a 4.2" (Canada legal) barrel. I too like the versatility. I carry it when hiking with 305 gr. HSM "Bear Load" ammo. It is cheaper than the BB and Garret stuff, and probably still overkill for black bears. I also load the first round in the cylinder with 44 Special snakeshot.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    I figured it would, I think there are only a handful of Rugers that won't, but I wasn't sure.

I recently picked up a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum, with a 4.2" (Canada legal) barrel. I too like the versatility. I carry it when hiking with 305 gr. HSM "Bear Load" ammo. It is cheaper than the BB and Garret stuff, and probably still overkill for black bears. I also load the first round in the cylinder with 44 Special snakeshot.
    Pistols are legal in Canada again?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Thanks. She is a beauty. Those wood grips look REALLY nice up close. Ruger seems to have gotten right with this one.

I had a Ruger Alaskan, and that tamed the heavy .44 mag stuff pretty well--I wonder if the Single Action ergonomics will be a lot different.
    Pretty gun

While the wood grips look nice in my experience they suck for shooting full power mags. I replaced mine with the hogue rubber grips and it made all the difference in comfort for me. Just MHO.

Either way very nice looking ruger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast