Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default Re: Permit to Carry Requirements for Recently Moved

Thank you all for the help and support. I appreciate it!

I think it wise for me to take a step back until after the holidays. At full disclosure, I'm not interested in pursuing a law suit...at this time. However, it seems clear to me that the state law is being needlessly and unlawfully limited.

GunLawyer001, I would be happy to talk! I'm new here so I'll figure out how to send you a PM. I'd certainly be interested in your thoughts.

Again, thank you everyone! I'm glad to share the company of such fine people.

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm82 View Post
    Thank you all for the help and support. I appreciate it!

I think it wise for me to take a step back until after the holidays. At full disclosure, I'm not interested in pursuing a law suit...at this time. However, it seems clear to me that the state law is being needlessly and unlawfully limited.

GunLawyer001, I would be happy to talk! I'm new here so I'll figure out how to send you a PM. I'd certainly be interested in your thoughts.

Again, thank you everyone! I'm glad to share the company of such fine people.
    I'll send you a PM, then you just have to enter a message and hit "reply".
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Chester County)

Great support for a newcomer guys. Nice job!

(Fayette County)

Welcome to PA.

(Tioga County)

Several questions:
    1. In MN, it is a misdemeanor to move from the area and not turn in your permit. I had 30 days to turn in my permit (which I obviously did!) Is this true in PA? If so the answer is to pursue those individuals, not limit lawful individuals.
    2. Are all these oil and gas workers completely changing their residency? Are they getting PA driver's license? How can they apply for resident permit then like I am trying to do?
    3. Does the sheriff (any county in PA and any sheriff in PA) have the lawful authority to place additional restrictions in their county? I find this highly unlikely.

Not sure how to proceed next. Going to think it over. I'm leaning towards contacting my local state representative. I'm old school in that I find no value in being needlessly antagonistic, but this is still unsettled. Thank you to you all for helping me think carefully about this.
    Well I can tell you that I have spoken at length in the past with the Sheriff on various issues and he proclaims he is pro 2nd Amendment. However he is one of those "reasonable limits" type guys. He refuses to follow state law on the issue of License To Carry Firearms and comes up with his own rules for such and also is against all NFA items. My own opinion is that he would rather not issue any LTCFs at all.

The oil and gas workers probably have a wide variance of what their exact residency is depending on their own personal situation. Some fly in and fly out and have homes in other states, some might have PA drivers licences, some not. The Sheriff has stated to me his reasoning for not issuing LTCF's to New Yorkers and other out of staters is because he works for the residents of Tioga County and no one else and essentially does not want to have his office staff have to deal with this rude out of state riff raff. I made him aware that such a policy may be in violation of the law and he doesn't care.

If you want the state representative is right down the street, Matt Baker. He is easy to talk to and recently had a well attended 2nd Amendment seminar. I've not spoken to him on this issue so I don't know his stance but it might be worth bringing it to his attention. The State Senator Joe Scarnati is further down the street and his office is in between Tony's and Dunkin Donuts. I've never spoken to the senator, so I don't even know where he might come in on this issue.

I think I know the woman you are talking about in the office. Is it is a younger woman with brown hair? If so she's a bit bossy and has a little power and control issue, a little bit of bureaucratic megalomania going on.

The Sheriff was primaried last election. His opponent didn't win because the current sheriff cleaned up the office and got it organized and the opponent had zero law enforcement experience. But the time is going to come next election where Sheriff Tom needs to be primaried again, we just need to find a candidate with the resume.

(Tioga County)

He was cordial, and said that maybe it will be something they review in January. We shall see... He also told me that I can legally open carry in PA but he doesn't recommend it. Uh, no. Not going to happen.
    Ah yes. We had this discussion. He said local law enforcement would tell us and strongly advise us to put it away and while it may be legal, it's not the right thing to do. By now I hope people are beginning to understand we have a Sheriff that is aware of the law but feels he can make his own extra judicial rules. Which is also silly considering the limited powers sheriff departments have in PA as it is.

Now myself I think open carrying in many situations is not sensible(for reasons that have zilch to do with the law) but many times I do open carry here in rural Tioga County and Wellsboro because of the lack of population density or for convenience. I've had the PSP and Wellsboro cops walk past me open carrying in restaurants and no one has ever said a word.

The problem is that in PA you can't open carry and then get in a car without a LTCF and that's where they can get you legally and part of the reason why you need a LTCF.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    ...many times I do open carry here in rural Tioga County and Wellsboro because of the lack of population density or for convenience. I've had the PSP and Wellsboro cops walk past me open carrying in restaurants and no one has ever said a word.
    I open carry around Wellsboro and in most businesses and never had an issue including the Laurel Festival and parade.
    MikeP

I also recently applied an in turn was denied due to not having held a pa lic. for the required year .so I walked down the street and entered matt bakers office and requested to speak with matt about this matter .his stance was stated that there is a grey area that allows the sheriff to add his own requirements to the cc permit. he also stated that he was not nessasarily in agreement with the current rules but it was the sheriffs right to impose such rules and enforce them.
    he did state that the best course of action would be to challenge in court and prove that such additional requirements were creating a hardship in the county that did not exist in the remainder of the state.
    going further with this I think our best course of action is to contact (as a group) the nra and request that they be involved in any course of action as they are experts in these matters.
    any one wishing to converse in this is welcome to pm me
    btw I left nys to get away from the severe restrictions imposed on law abiding citizens and came back to the state I was born and raised in thinking it was a better place

Quote Originally Posted by t.stratton View Post
    . . . so I walked down the street and entered matt bakers office and requested to speak with matt about this matter .his stance was stated that there is a grey area that allows the sheriff to add his own requirements to the cc permit. he also stated that he was not nessasarily in agreement with the current rules but it was the sheriffs right to impose such rules and enforce them.
    he did state that the best course of action would be to challenge in court and prove that such additional requirements were creating a hardship in the county that did not exist in the remainder of the state. . . .
    No, there is no grey area that allows any issuing authority to add requirements to the state statute.

His only argument for this particular basis for denial (or refusal to accept the application) must be that being a recent immigrant to the Commonwealth is proof of bad character; good luck with THAT argument in court.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Tioga County)

I'd like to know what the legal basis is for the "grey area".

Essentially the Sheriff is going to have to be challenged legally on this and that is that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast