Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Any groups that pay for Act 235 Training?

I recently went through the process to get my approval letter to attend Act 235 training. After all was said and done, I ended up dropping about $200 just on the evaluations and paperwork alone. Now, thanks to unforseen complications, I've had to use the remainder of the money I had set aside to attend the training. So now I'm going to have this approval letter, and not be able to attend the class.

So, what I'm wondering is: Does anybody know of any programs that will pay for Act 235 if you're a U.S. Army Vet?

I heard there was a group, something like the "Vietnam Veterans Leadership Program", but last I checked they ran out of funding.

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Any groups that pay for Act 235 Training?

I don't know of any but I think there is a time limit from when you get the letter till you have to complete the training. Check with the PSP for correct time limits.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Carbon County)

Smile Re: Any groups that pay for Act 235 Training?

Quote Originally Posted by springfield24 View Post
    I recently went through the process to get my approval letter to attend Act 235 training. After all was said and done, I ended up dropping about $200 just on the evaluations and paperwork alone. Now, thanks to unforseen complications, I've had to use the remainder of the money I had set aside to attend the training. So now I'm going to have this approval letter, and not be able to attend the class.

So, what I'm wondering is: Does anybody know of any programs that will pay for Act 235 if you're a U.S. Army Vet?

I heard there was a group, something like the "Vietnam Veterans Leadership Program", but last I checked they ran out of funding.

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Do you work for any security company.? I have worked for several and they will usually pay for this class and deduct the cost from pay check over time. Of course you have to be a current employee for anywhere from 30 to 90 days. It can get expensive if your on a budget. Good quality duty gear adds up and I cant stress enough dont go cheap on a duty holster with adequate retention and practice drawing from it alot.

(York County)

Act 235 may be covered if you have the GI bill from military service. A couple of guys in my police academy class had their act 120 paid for with the GI bill. (they were 'pre-service'...meaning that they had not procured a police job yet)

(Allegheny County)

I think Dunbar, an armored car service based out of Sharpsburg, will pay for it if you go to work for them. I also believe they happen to be hiring right now. Not completely sure if thats true or if that is a situation you are looking for but it might be worth checking out. I sure wish my company had paid for mine!

(Allegheny County)

Going slightly off topic, anyone know of any decent paying armed security jobs near Pittsburgh for those of us with an ACT235 card? Thanks.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Going slightly off topic, anyone know of any decent paying armed security jobs near Pittsburgh for those of us with an ACT235 card? Thanks.
    Lexus Protection Services has armed guard positions. Thats the company i work for, however I am an unarmed guard. Hoping to soon start the process for act 235 so i can move to an armed shack. Im making 12/hr so armed guards will make more than that.