Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911

(Lancaster County)

Default 9mm 1911

I know I will get alot of opinions but I have to ask. Looking to get my first 1911 in 9mm. I am a HEAVY shooter. You can tell by the 100lbs plus of 9mm brass I have sold over the last 9 months. Price isnt a big issue, I dont want to break the bank on my first 1911 but I dont mind spending some.the only one I have shot was a STI Spartan V and I very much enjoyed it. I am leaning toward a sti spartan IV. I prefer a 4- 4.5 inch barrel. I hear so much good and bad about RIA , I know RIA makes the spartan frame and slide and STI puts in the rest themselves. Like I said, the most important thing is it must be able to be shot to death. I will not carry it so it doesnt have to be "carry" consistent. Accuracy is also important. I shoot 15 yards to 25 almost all the time. Any input and prior good or bad experiences with any 1911s would be appreciated. Thanks.

(Berks County)

Default Re: 9mm 1911

Rock island makes good frames and slides. I have not shot the snot out of mine so I can't speak to the small parts but they are in spec 1911 guns so quality parts will fit. I'm thinking colt, Wilson, Ed brown. I don't have experience with sti but they look good at the lgs. If the barrels are quality and fitted correctly you have the heart of it. RIA seems to deliver and I would think spartan would also. Colt is my go to for 1911 but nothing wrong in a lesser name and price for a range gun to thrash. Why colt? You might as well ask me why Harley?

(Bucks County)

I have a Kimber CarryII in 9mm which I have been very happy with, put approx 1k rounds through it with no problems - I use it primarily for carry.

(Chester County)

Springfield range officer. Tack driver. Just needs a decent front sight added.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Springfield range officer. Tack driver. Just needs a decent front sight added.
    Good option for a mid-priced 9mm 1911.

Also something to consider since you're a heavy shooter, splurging a bit on the pistol when you'll be spending a lot of money on ammo probably isn't a huge deal.

(Lycoming County)

I've never shot an STI, but they get excellent reviews and many members here hold them in high reguard. I would hesitate to buy one. I have an RIA in .45. It is a really good gun for the money. Not the prettiest finish on a 1911 that I have seen but it runs well. I have actually had less FTF and FTE with the RIA than with my Gold Cup and it cost less than half as much. If you are on a budget the RIA would be at the top of my list. If budget isn't as much of a concern then there are lots of quality 1911's out there so take your pick.

(Montgomery County)

I have a STI Spartan in 9mm and 45acp, both have been flawless for me so far. What sold me on the STI was the sights. No other 1911 in that price range had that nice of a sight set up. Once I bought and shot the 45, I had to go out and get one in 9mm. You can not beat the bang for the buck value of that pistol.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by sdeen View Post
    I am leaning toward a sti spartan IV. I prefer a 4- 4.5 inch barrel.
    You really don't have a lot of choice if you want a commander 9mm 1911, but it isn't like you have t settle for a Spartan. STI really does a nice job prepping their lower priced 1911's. Personally, I'd like to shoot one sometime. Never shot a 4" 9mm 1911.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

I purchased the Tactical RIA 9MM 1911. About a month later I purchased a STI SPARTAN 9MM. The rock was 200 dollars less than the STI. I still own the Rock , have sold the STI. Put over a 1000 rds through both, The Rock has been absolutely flawless, the STI had a few hiccups. Accuracy was equal with both. My Rock was " smoother" . The Rock is by far a better value that the STI.

(Allegheny County)

Springfield Load 9mm in SS for me. Once I got past the magazine issues, no problems for me. Tripp solved the problems for me.
    My priority is to defend my life, not just stay alive. - Sshuck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast