Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Tumbling Question

Treated walnut media cleans/shines my brass pretty good. It is mainly aesthetic and personal preference.

I am using the lizard bedding as well. Easy to vacuum up too if I spill a little when I sift.

As per 'crud', 'lead' and 'powder' there is none of that on there. I also found a 300 win mag case made out of what appears to be aluminum. Is it reloadable? I will probably save it and give the odd brass I don't need to my local gun shop- they love it when I give them free brass.

The most common calibers I find are 9mm and 223 remington.

Some 40s, 45s, .380s, 303 savage, .308.

I plan on loading 45 for dad, 40 for cousin, 223 for friend, 380 for me (I got into reloading because I am sick of 380 scarcity and prices) and 9mm. Eventually 7.5 by 55mm Swiss and 303 brit.

(Wayne County)

I use nufinish auto polish and corn cob media. Works like a dream. The longer you tumble, the brighter and shinier the brass comes out. Beautiful

Eta: I use ultrasonic to clean, dry tumble to polish. If i tumbled to clean i would probl use walnut
    Last edited by plinKing; December 9th, 2014 at 03:33 PM.

I also find it highly amusing that we cannot have paint thinner in the apartment, but the contract said NOTHING about gunpowder.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    I also find it highly amusing that we cannot have paint thinner in the apartment, but the contract said NOTHING about gunpowder.
    Well truthfully paint thinner, gasoline, etc are far more dangerous because their fumes ignite. Smokeless powder actually has to come in contact with source of ignition.

(Berks County)

Good point!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    My brass always looks like crap. Unless you want it pretty, it doesn't matter. I've even loaded some without tumbling without any problems.
    This^^^. I loaded for probably 20 years without a tumbler, just wiped the case lube off with a rag and kept on going. Then I got tired of wiping lube and bought a tumbler. That is the only reason I tumble, to get case lube off of the cases. Since carbide dies don't need lubed, my handgun brass only gets tumbled every 2nd or 3rd time.

Lizard litter (walnut shells) from Petco and part of a used dryer sheet is how I roll.

Dale

(Wayne County)

I use corn media period. I also only pick up my brass for reloading, I have no idea how many times someone else screwed around with their brass, not worth the problems.

(Tioga County)

I don't even tumble, I just use distilled water with Lemishine(citric acid) and a little bit of Dawn in a 5 gallon bucket and stir with a broom stick occassionally over a few hours. Lemishine works pretty good and the brass ends up looking almost new. If need be after resizing and expanding, I have an ultrasonic cleaner to touch them up if I want.

I might at some point get a tumbler and stainless steel media for rifle brass after resizing, but it's no real urgency.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post

I am using the lizard bedding as well. Easy to vacuum up too if I spill a little when I sift.

As per 'crud', 'lead' and 'powder' there is none of that on there. I also found a 300 win mag case made out of what appears to be aluminum. Is it reloadable? I will probably save it and give the odd brass I don't need to my local gun shop- they love it when I give them free brass.

The most common calibers I find are 9mm and 223 remington.

Some 40s, 45s, .380s, 303 savage, .308.

I plan on loading 45 for dad, 40 for cousin, 223 for friend, 380 for me (I got into reloading because I am sick of 380 scarcity and prices) and 9mm. Eventually 7.5 by 55mm Swiss and 303 brit.
    I'm pretty sure that 300 win mag is not aluminum more likely nickeled brass .
    I have already used unsweetened lemon kool-aid as a cleaning agent in place of lemi shine with hot water and a dash of dawn . You really want to clean the brass not polish it to the point that it's slippery.
    DAN

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast