Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Antlerless Deer Hunting

I have some people that I know that refuse to harvest an antlerless deer, and to top it off they actyally buy antlerless tags so somone else doesnt get one . . . .

Anyone else like this or know people that are ?

Default Re: Antlerless Deer Hunting

Ignorance breeds ignorance.

Next time you run into someone that thinks they are doing the deer population a favor keeping another hunter from taking a doe tell them the PGC will issue more tags next year if their quota/formula is coming up short.

I know hunters that scowl at taking does (ever during any season) but when I say yeah because shooting a buck with a .30-06 is a real challenge they will come back with something clever like does are for kids and girls.
    Of course these same hunters have spikes and four pointers mounted as if they were the kill of the season. Then there are the "trophy hunters" that scowl at anyone that kills a deer under a 20" spread. I have little time for people like this. Typically I find they are like this regarding other topics as well. Cars, guns, politics, you name it. Whatever they have decided for themselves is the correct path and everyone else be damned.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

Just shot my second doe this season.
    One in archery, and one with rifle.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Ignorance breeds ignorance.

Next time you run into someone that thinks they are doing the deer population a favor keeping another hunter from taking a doe tell them the PGC will issue more tags next year if their quota/formula is coming up short.

I know hunters that scowl at taking does (ever during any season) but when I say yeah because shooting a buck with a .30-06 is a real challenge they will come back with something clever like does are for kids and girls.
    Of course these same hunters have spikes and four pointers mounted as if they were the kill of the season. Then there are the "trophy hunters" that scowl at anyone that kills a deer under a 20" spread. I have little time for people like this. Typically I find they are like this regarding other topics as well. Cars, guns, politics, you name it. Whatever they have decided for themselves is the correct path and everyone else be damned.
    What he said ^^^^^^.

Note: I personally don't shoot the tiny little does (though I agree the meat is tender and the best tasting) unless they've been injured. (last year I shot a smaller doe that clearly had a broken leg and was hobbling around my stand for 3 days in a row) I try to NOT take deer from the herd until it's old enough to have already replaced itself at least once.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post

Note: I personally don't shoot the tiny little does (though I agree the meat is tender and the best tasting) unless they've been injured. (last year I shot a smaller doe that clearly had a broken leg and was hobbling around my stand for 3 days in a row) I try to NOT take deer from the herd until it's old enough to have already replaced itself at least once.
    Mmm... I love eating baby deer.

Nothing wrong with shooting a doe. I usually only do this during archery or if I don't get anything all season. On SGL I will usually pass on does since the population is low where I hunt. I also have a son so I figure any deer I don't shoot gives him a chance at seeing one when I take him. Near my house there is a bunch of deer so I have no problem shooting them. From my experience an old doe is way smarter than a horned up buck. Last buck I shot ran right in. The doe was checking out everything and I had a lot harder time getting a shot.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Nothing wrong with shooting a doe. I usually only do this during archery or if I don't get anything all season. On SGL I will usually pass on does since the population is low where I hunt. I also have a son so I figure any deer I don't shoot gives him a chance at seeing one when I take him. Near my house there is a bunch of deer so I have no problem shooting them. From my experience an old doe is way smarter than a horned up buck. Last buck I shot ran right in. The doe was checking out everything and I had a lot harder time getting a shot.
    Agreed... I have a very mature old bitch of a doe that has been "busting" me at least once a year for the last 4 years....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

I also refrain from taking immature deer, but that's my choice.
    It's up to the individual, IMO. For me I just don't want to be bothered field dressing, dragging, and butchering a deer that doesn't yield me a reasonable amount of meat. A few years ago I came up empty after all the seasons, because the only shots I had were 6 month old deer.

edit:

Just remembered about 10 years ago I was just getting home from a morning late season flintlock hunt. The electric meter reader pulled in behind me. Asked me how I did, and I said I missed a big doe at 60yds. He snapped at me saying leave the doe alone, blah, blah, blah. I buy doe tags to keep others from killing them, blah, blah, blah. I haven't hunted in years, but......then I interrupted him and said you don't hunt anymore? Why don't you shut your hole, read my meter and get the fuck off my property. If that doesn't suit you we'll call your supervisor and find out how they want to handle your attitude.

Fucking Fudd.

Wish I knew that term back then.
    Last edited by God's Country; December 9th, 2014 at 03:07 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

He should have tasted the Antlerless deer I just took off my smoker. That might change his tune.

(Lackawanna County)

I def. try not to shoot the little ones. Usually you can tellthe difference, they have a smaller face (shorter snout) and the button bucks have a flatter head. I shot a 138 lb dressed weight doe on Monday (3D we can kill them all 2 weeks). Out of all the deer I have harvested over the years this is the largest weight wise.

She came in with 2 that were slightly smaller (prob. 2013 fawns) but they were still large enough to harvest. I still have one antlerless tag left along with a antlered tag and I plan to fill one more of them on Saturday.

To all of the hunters out there BE SAFE .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast