Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Carbon County)

Default Re: Antlerless Deer Hunting

I noticed the original poster is from Scranton. Have you seen a lot of doe lately? I live in 4-C, down the road. I don't know about your area, but the Game Commission has cut back on doe hunting in this management area this year. It is way overdue here. I have nothing against doe hunting, but past Commission policies have really messed up the deer herd around here. I have been out a total of four days this year and spotted one deer and think it was a small buck. I sat all day in the rain and got soaked to see that one. One day I just walked all day in snow and cut only four sets of tracks. Nothing wrong with shooting doe, but there should be some limitations set for certain areas. I think the Game Commission is getting back on track with some of the regulations they are passing now. Closing snowshoe hare season and opening a very limited season this year shows me they are paying attention to what is going on now. I think doe hunting is OK, within reason.

(Bucks County)

Took this doe during archery. Wish I had a weight on her. I have seen two other does on the property that are massive, just absolute cows...I'm hoping that I get to fill a tag with one later this season.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(York County)

If I'm going to shoot one, and btw I have no compunction about doing so, I like to take them in early bow season so I have reasonable confidence she isn't pregnant. Later in the season the mature ones will likely be bred so you're actually taking two. Nothing wrong with shooting does. Don't let the "trophy hunters" tell you otherwise. I've shot some nice ones over the years and I've yet to eat the horns. I'm told the staunch proponents of buck only hunting grind the antlers into a fine powder to sprinkle on their morning quiche in hopes of maintaining their manhood. Can't say if it's true or not. I shoot does and have no issues in that area.

(Crawford County)

I shoot them yearly without hesitation...either in early muzzleloader season (which I enjoy a lot) or during rifle. I was raised a meat hunter and to this day thats what I am. I do try to kill the older does, but I have been known to take a young'un or two.
    Male RN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12