Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Question for multiple LTCF holders !

First question. If your are a holder of a Florida, Pa, and Utah LTCF and a resident of Pa are you required your show your Pa Ltcf ? Or, can you show anyone you wish. Secondly, if you do not have to show the Pa Lctf and you can show any, what is your strategy for doing so. The only reason I ask is the story about the fella stopped by the Amtrak police. They threatened to call the Del County Sheriff to have his LTCF revoked. Now, in Pa it's a discression call by the Sheriff. If I'm not mistaken Florida and Utah you have to break a prohibiting law to have your LCTF revoked. So would it not be wise to show anyone other than your Pa LCTF. Inquiring minds would like to know.

Default Re: Question for multiple LTCF holders !

Revoking a LTCF isn't as easy as saying "because the sheriff feels like it". PA is a shall issue state... meaning you MUST be issued a license unless you fall under the limited reasons why you would be denied. It stands to reason, therefore, that these reasons are the ones that would be cause to revoke a LTCF.

Of course, this might not stop them from trying to revoke it.

(Schuylkill County)

The Constable did it by just calling the Sheriff. The Sheriff then says your Character is such that I think I will revoke your LTCF. I have read several such cases. Then you must get your lawyer and fight it and hope you win. I was just thinking (UT OHH there I go again) what if your really getting hassled would it be wise to produce say your Florida LCTF rather than PA.

(Franklin County)

There is no "trying" to revoke. If they want to, they will, usually citing (e)(1)(i). From there, the burden is on the party who was revoked to spend $$$$ to file an appeal and hopefully prevail. Most simply won't or can't take such action.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(e)(1)(i)?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post
    (e)(1)(i)?
    Sorry, I should have been a little more informative. Under §6109 - Licences:
    (e) Issuance of license
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    (i) An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.
    This is the broadest 'reason' given for a revocation under statute. Some Sheriffs attempt to use it as a catch-all, when a solid legal reason for a revocation does not exist. Similar to the way that some LEOs threaten Disorderly Conduct charges for OC.

Interesting... suppose the person then applies for a new permit? Is there a database recording the fact that the last one was revoked?

I know on the application there is that same question. Would answering it in the negative constitute lying on the application?

Is it hard to show that acting within your rights (and not even being charged with a crime by the police) does NOT constitute acting in a manner dangerous to public safety? It almost seems like the sherriff would then be setting his department up for another lawsuit. Plus you could then OC in the meantime.

Seriously, though... it just gets more and more depressing with how people in positions of power abuse their rights in order to enforce their will based on their own misguided opinions on what they find socially distasteful. *sigh*

Thanks for the info.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post
    Interesting... suppose the person then applies for a new permit? Is there a database recording the fact that the last one was revoked?

I know on the application there is that same question. Would answering it in the negative constitute lying on the application?
    §6114. Judicial Review

The action of the chief of police, sheriff, county treasurer or other officer under this subchapter shall be subject to judicial review in the manner and within the time provided by 2 Pa.C.S. Ch. 7 Subch. B (relating to judicial review of local agency action). A judgment sustaining a refusal to grant a license shall not bar, after one year, a new application; nor shall a judgment in favor of the petitioner prevent the defendant from thereafter revoking or refusing to renew such license for any proper cause which may thereafter occur. The court shall have full power to dispose of all costs. (Chgd. by L.1995, Spec. Sess. 1, Act 17(8), eff 10/11/95.)
    It is my understanding that this applies to re-applying after a revocation as well.

(Schuylkill County)

Question Re: Question for multiple LTCF holders !

I can' t believe no one has an opinion on the question asked in the original post. Even if its a hypothetical situation.

(Lebanon County)

I don't know about the requirements, but if I got another permit it would be

A)Because I want to add states covered by that permit and not covered by PA

and

B)I plan on moving back to TX in the next few years, so having one from there would make sense. Of course I could not get a non resident TX permit without going to TX so if I do that I will have to do it during a visit.

I'm not sure of anyone getting permits from other states as a multi card "which do I show in these circumstances" strategy. I believe some may get them if they get denied for a PA LTCF, or for some reason don't want to apply for a PA LTCF. I know a guy who has an Arizona permit because he got it while living there, and since PA has reciprocity he just has never seen the need of getting another one, until his Arizona permit expires.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast