Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Coatesville (unfortunately), Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)

Default Wifes stolen wallet and LTCF

Soo my wife had her wallet stolen out of Giant right out the cart. Yeah that story is more thread worthy however,when she notified the sheriff and gave them the police report number she was informed that she would have to be ran through PICS again. Does anyone here know if that is standard procedure? Any input would be appreciated.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Wifes stolen wallet and LTCF

The last time I went to renew my permit it was handled like a new application. When I asked about this, I was told that this was new procedure.

(Monroe County)

There is no legal prescribed procedure for replacing your LTCF in PA. If your license is lost, stolen, or even if you simply want a new one due to an address change, the only legal way for that to be done is by REVOKING your old license and issuing you a new one with a new number. This is a serious flaw in the PA licensing system, and here's why:

Let's say you drop your wallet down a storm drain, or some asshole snatches it at Giant. You go to the sheriff's office, and they revoke the old license and issue you a new one. For the rest of your life, if you fill out an app for a carry license in some other state that asks if you've ever had a carry license revoked, you must answer yes. In some states, this is an automatic denial, and the fact that it was only done so as to issue a new one will be irrelevant.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Lancaster County)

You should probably have a talk with your wife about leaving her purse in the cart. I see this all the time in stores. Women put their purse, many hanging wide open, in the seat of the cart. They'll turn their back and many times walk away to get something off a shelf. It only takes a second for someone that's been watching them to snatch the wallet.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You should probably have a talk with your wife about leaving her purse in the cart. I see this all the time in stores. Women put their purse, many hanging wide open, in the seat of the cart. They'll turn their back and many times walk away to get something off a shelf. It only takes a second for someone that's been watching them to snatch the wallet.

same reason a woman should not carry a firearm in their purse

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    There is no legal prescribed procedure for replacing your LTCF in PA. If your license is lost, stolen, or even if you simply want a new one due to an address change, the only legal way for that to be done is by REVOKING your old license and issuing you a new one with a new number. This is a serious flaw in the PA licensing system, and here's why:

Let's say you drop your wallet down a storm drain, or some asshole snatches it at Giant. You go to the sheriff's office, and they revoke the old license and issue you a new one. For the rest of your life, if you fill out an app for a carry license in some other state that asks if you've ever had a carry license revoked, you must answer yes. In some states, this is an automatic denial, and the fact that it was only done so as to issue a new one will be irrelevant.
    My wife lost her purse awhile back, in it was her LTCF, among other things. Long story short, the DELCO Sheriff made her go thru the whole process over again to get a "new" one. More time, more money the whole shebang, PLUS she had to include a notarized letter that she lost the first one.

HOWEVER, the original was NOT revoked, in fact when it would have come due for renewal she got a letter from the DELCO sheriff saying it was due. Since she no longer had that one she ignored the letter. A couple years later when the second LTCF was due for renewal she got a renewal letter for it, renewed it, no mention of the first one, and all went fine. She also renewed her Utah CFP with no mention of her first LTCF being revoked with no problem as well.

In summary, a lost LTCF is not always revoked, at least in my wife's case it wasn't, it may depend on the sheriff's department doing the issuing.

(Lancaster County)

This is something that I'd like to see changed, a defined process needs to be put in place statewide for dealing with lost LTCF cards.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Erie County)

This is interesting considering the fact that the actual license has check boxes for NEW, RENEW, or DUPL/CORRECTION at the top of the license. My renewed license has always been checked NEW, not RENEW.

Must be something wrong with the software.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Elk County)

I renewed mine last month. Somehow, it came up with a big red TEMPORARY across the front. The only way to get rid of it was to check the Renew and Dup/Correction box. So mine shows there was a correction or duplicate produced, but is the original and the info on the card matches my renewal application.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post

Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    My principle concern is whether you would be making a false written statement when applying for non-resident permits in other states. If they ask "has your license ever been revoked", the correct answer should be "no", if all that happened was that the particular laminated card was voided and another was issued.

It would not be a false statement, it wouldn't be the basis of a criminal charge for unsworn written falsification. You're merely the victim of erroneous word usage by others, same as if a cop accused you of having a "firearm" in your car when in fact you had a long gun.

Were another agency to inquire of the issuing authority, one would hope that, at worst, they would be told that an LTCF was revoked on 7/30/2014, and a replacement was issued the same day, or a week later. There would be no valid "cause for revocation" in the file. At worst, it could be explained away with a few minutes of details.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast