Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: suggestion?

(Centre County)

Default suggestion?

I bought 45 Cal .451 230 gr HP XTP some time ago, and never loaded it, as none of my book had any decent loading data for it.

I'm planning to use either 700X or bullseye, CCI 300.
    May be starting around 3.7~4.0 gr?

But Im not sure what COL should set it for.
    Im thinking around 1.255" COL.

what do you guys think?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Clarion County)

Default Re: suggestion?

With bullseye and a 230 bullet 3.7 grs would be on the low end. Most loading 230's are in the 5 gr. range. Worked with some 185's awhile back and copied from the Hornday manual. It said 1.230" COAL with the 230's.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    With bullseye and a 230 bullet 3.7 grs would be on the low end. Most loading 230's are in the 5 gr. range. Worked with some 185's awhile back and copied from the Hornday manual. It said 1.230" COAL with the 230's.
    1.230's with 3.7gr of bullseye, and 230gr??

I have been loading my CAO to around 1.255"~1.265" depending on which weapon Im loading it for(My M&P45 seems like 1.255" and my TRP seems to like little bit on longer side), using either 4.1gr of 700X, and 4.5gr of bullseye.
    obviously, these are sort of mild practice rounds, but I like the fact the empties just sort of fell out of gun within foot or so(I hate chasing empties!)

Still pretty new to reloading. Learning something new everyday....

(Clarion County)

3.7 grs Bullseye would be on the very low end. Think you may find the sweet spot in the 5 gr area. The reloaders guide over at Alliant doesn't specifically mention the xpt but does give an idea with other 230 gr bullets.
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...spx?powderid=1
    For comparison on COL Hodgon data site http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ has the 230 gr HDY FMJ FP listed with a length of 1.200.
    Maybe someone with the Hornday manual can confirm my notes. SAAMI spec min for the .45apc is 1.200 min and 1.275 max.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    3.7 grs Bullseye would be on the very low end. Think you may find the sweet spot in the 5 gr area. The reloaders guide over at Alliant doesn't specifically mention the xpt but does give an idea with other 230 gr bullets.
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...spx?powderid=1
    For comparison on COL Hodgon data site http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ has the 230 gr HDY FMJ FP listed with a length of 1.200.
    Maybe someone with the Hornday manual can confirm my notes. SAAMI spec min for the .45apc is 1.200 min and 1.275 max.
    From Hornady 9th edition page#852

230gr HP XTP- C.O.L =1.210"

There is no Bullseye data with it

(Bucks County)

http://www.reloadammo.com/45loads.htm

Read the 230 grain chart.... 4.8 Bullseye seems to be a maximum load for lead and plated bullets, and 4.8 Bullseye is given for jacketed hollow point.

(Bucks County)

XTP's are excellent bullets for self defense. It would be a shame to make light plinking loads out of them.............

Bullseye is too fast for max .45 loads. Looking at Hornady's third edition it shows these loads for their 230 FMJ. COL-1.200 inches. They also noted HS-6 and Unique were the most consistent.

Bullseye Max 5.5gr 850FPS Note 3.6 gr gives 600 FPS (why bother)
    Unique Max 7.3gr 900FPS
    Herco Max 8.2gr 900FPS
    HS-6 Max 9.7gr 950FPS

Remember these loads are MAX! and are for the FMJ bullet NOT the XTP! Check vs other sources since newer data seems to be more conservative (but these worked fine in 1980). I would assume the XTP is longer so don't seat to the same depth or you will decrease the case volume and pressures will go up. If you can determine the case displacement and seat the XTP's longer you should be OK.

Whatever you do WORK UP SLOWLY!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    XTP's are excellent bullets for self defense. It would be a shame to make light plinking loads out of them.............

Bullseye is too fast for max .45 loads. Looking at Hornady's third edition it shows these loads for their 230 FMJ. COL-1.200 inches. They also noted HS-6 and Unique were the most consistent.

Bullseye Max 5.5gr 850FPS Note 3.6 gr gives 600 FPS (why bother)
    Unique Max 7.3gr 900FPS
    Herco Max 8.2gr 900FPS
    HS-6 Max 9.7gr 950FPS

Remember these loads are MAX! and are for the FMJ bullet NOT the XTP! Check vs other sources since newer data seems to be more conservative (but these worked fine in 1980). I would assume the XTP is longer so don't seat to the same depth or you will decrease the case volume and pressures will go up. If you can determine the case displacement and seat the XTP's longer you should be OK.

Whatever you do WORK UP SLOWLY!
    I got bullseye, because I was told that the small case and short powder burning time of the .45 ACP requires a faster burning powder.

Either way, I know 3.6gr of bullseye or 700x is super mild load. I figure i'd start from may br 4gr? and try around 1.250", and go from there(up the powder and/or shorten the COL)...

By the way, anyone have a good picture of spent case showing a sign of over pressure?

(Bucks County)

Like someone previously said.....SAAMI spec min for the .45apc is 1.200 min and 1.275 max.

That basically means seating a 230 gr (round nose?) to 1.200 is the smallest the "in spec" case capacity (where the powder goes) can be for a load. Anything smaller and you will quickly get higher pressure (with the same charge and bullet weight).

The max length is a made up number. It is just a general max spec to use in most guns. If your pistol can reliably feed it you will get lower pressures for a given powder charge. You can even go longer and be OK but it probably wont fit in the magazine.

I would find the best OAL first then start increasing the powder charge. It is more forgiving.

If you can convince yourself an XTP bullet at 1.250 has the same powder capacity as a FMJ bullet at 1.200 your good to go. You can use the same loads. But be careful with the Hornady loads I posted. They are hotter than most!

EDIT- Just thought of something else. For longer loads you need to make sure the bullet doesn't jam into the rifling. Its easiest to tell with the barrel off and just slide the cartridge in the chamber
    Last edited by Delkal; December 6th, 2014 at 04:22 PM.

(Berks County)

i use autocomp and power pistol for my .45 loads. I strictly use hornady bullets. usually the 230 gr HAP for practice and use the XTP for carry loads. although the price difference between the two bullets isn't that much. I use 6.6 grains of autocomp for the HAP and 7.4gr of power pistol for the xtp. with a 1.230 OAL. these loads are at or over book max so please do your homework and work up loads for your pistol. but my sig P220 loves this combo.