Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Replacement of all Remington 700 triggers for known problem

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...el-700-rifles/

America’s oldest gun manufacturer, Remington, has agreed to replace millions of triggers in its most popular product—the Model 700 rifle. The company has been riddled for years with claims the gun can fire without the trigger being pulled, often with deadly results.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Default Re: Replacement of all Remington 700 triggers for known problem

They sure are not getting mine back. May be able to pick up some 700s cheap.

(Berks County)

I've owned three 700 BDL's. Never an issue with the trigger.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(York County)

Default Re: Remington 700 recall

I just posted in the general section - Breaking news about Remington 700 recall triggers and yes they will pay for aftermarket trigger upgrades !!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102236497?__s...d&par=xfinity#.

America's oldest gun manufacturer, Remington, has agreed to replace millions of triggers in its most popular product—the Model 700 rifle. The company has been riddled for years with claims the gun can fire without the trigger being pulled, often with deadly results.

A 2010 CNBC documentary, "Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation," explored allegations that for decades the company covered up a design defect, which Remington continues to deny. But now, under a nationwide settlement filed Friday in a federal court in Missouri, the company is agreeing to replace the triggers in about 7.85 million rifles.

While insisting its action is not a recall of the iconic gun, Remington says in a statement that it is agreeing to make the changes "to avoid the uncertainties and expense of protracted litigation."

The settlement involves a class action suit brought in 2013 by Ian Pollard of Concordia, Missouri, who claimed his Remington 700 rifle fired on multiple occasions without the trigger being pulled. The agreement also settles a similar class action case in Washington state. The Pollard suit accused Remington and its owners of negligence, breach of warranty, unfair and deceptive trade practices, and fraudulent concealment—some of it involving the company's formal response to the 2010 CNBC documentary.

At least two dozen deaths and more than 100 serious injuries have been linked to inadvertent discharges of Remington 700 series rifles.

In court filings, Remington denied the allegations, calling them "inaccurate, misleading, (and) taken out of context." And last year, a judge dismissed several of the claims, including negligence and fraudulent concealment. But by this July, the parties announced they were working out details of a "nationwide class settlement" involving the controversial gun.

Under the settlement, which still must be approved by a judge, Remington has agreed to retrofit the rifles in question at no cost to the owner. Many users had new trigger mechanisms installed on their own, and Remington will reimburse them as part of the settlement. For guns that cannot be retrofitted, the company plans to offer vouchers for Remington products.

The settlement covers more than a dozen models, specifically the Model 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, 673, 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, XP-100, 721, 722 and 725.

Remington's 700 series, which began with the Model 721 shortly after World War II, has been wildly popular not only with hunters and target shooters, but also with law enforcement and the U.S. military. The gun is prized for its accuracy and smooth operation, thanks to a unique trigger mechanism patented in the 1940s by Remington engineer Merle "Mike" Walker.

But the CNBC investigation revealed that even before the gun went on the market, Walker himself had discovered a potential problem with the trigger he designed. In a 1946 memo, he warned of a "theoretical unsafe condition" involving the gun's safety—the mechanism that's supposed to keep the rifle from firing accidentally.

Subsequent memos during the testing process noted guns could be made to fire simply by switching off the safety or operating the bolt. "This situation can be very dangerous from a safety and functional point of view," said a 1947 inspection report.

(Monroe County)

I have four 700s, one ADL, three BDLs and none of them have given me any issues and the last one I bought is part of the last recall.

243, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H.

(Beaver County)

Had 2 BDLs in 30-06. Never a trigger issue. Matter of fact I just had my second BDL trigger worked over by a gunsmith buddy of mine. It's as sweet and any aftermarket trigger I've ever pulled. And even as light as it is (bench gun) still operates like it should.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Chester County)

My uncles 700 went off once as he was starting to unload it. Safety was on. He had just dropped the dbm....thankfully he was pointing it in a safe direction as he should've been. Scary though. He will be sending his in.

Pay for aftermarket? Hmm, two more Huber two-stage triggers here I come!
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Monroe County)

It will take awhile for them to fix all those rifles. It would be nice if they would let you send them your serial number(s) and mail you the trigger(s). Just a thought.

(Cumberland County)

My 40 year old .243 does a sub MOA group with factory ammo.

The last freakin thing I'm going to do is hand it off to UPS or let anyone "fix" it.

Carelessness is responsible for anyone killed by a shot fired from a 700, not defective triggers.

fritz

Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast