Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default My new factory custom Ithaca 37 Featherlight (HUGE picture warning)

Just figured I'd share it with all of you. And yeah, this is cross posted on NJGF. I started wanting it as an NJ resident, and got it as a PA resident, so that's why it's on both forums. Enjoy, and feel free to ask questions!

It had to be THE gun, THE shotgun. Graduated from college, got my dream job, and moving out of NJ, I needed to celebrate. It had to be special, and it was going to be the Ithaca 37.

Ithaca, for those that don't know, is now located in Upper Sandusky, Ohio. They're a friendly bunch, and will do pretty much whatever you want on your shotgun (as long as you can afford it, of course). Engraving and gold inlays, woodwork, stock dimensions, and a whole lot more. I ordered the Ithaca 37 Uplands Combo (it's a smoothbore/rifled barrel combo) with...

-28" vent rib smoothbore barrel
    -24" rifled barrel, with open sights
    -AAA grade wood, with a LOP of 13 7/8"
    -Hand engraving enhancement
    -Receiver drilled and tapped for scope mount

How about a couple more pictures?

A look at the engraving on one side. This, as silly as it sounds, was one of the reasons why I chose the Featherlight. I have a soft spot for English Setters, they're absolutely wonderful dogs. The hand enhanced engraving is where they'll take the standard factory engraving (which is machined into the receiver), and do hand engraving to add extra detail. Sadly (not to discredit the engraver that did this receiver, it was a beautiful job), Bill Mains, Ithaca's hand engraver, passed away nearly 2 years ago.

The other side of the receiver depicts a duck scene.

A closer look at the stock. The shotgun feels like it fits great.

The vent rib barrel is pretty neat. If you look in the picture, you can see a screw in the rib. The rib itself dovetails into the posts on the barrel, and is presumably replaceable by removing that screw. The posts that support the vent rib are machined out of the same material out of the barrel, instead of being soldered on. Ithaca calls this the Solderless Barrel System, and touts that it produces straighter barrels since they are never exposed to heat. Fiber optics on the front are listed as being manufactured by Truglo.

The rifled barrel also has fiber optic sights (adjustable of course), manufactured by Marble Arms. All of the barrels (vent rib and smoothbore) are connected to the receiver by a thread. Drop them in, and give it a quarter turn, then tighten the magazine cap (or loosen? depending on which way you're looking) so that it snugs in the barrel.

The rifled barrel installed on the gun.

The bolt has some attractive machining. Loading shells is almost addictive, each one smoothly going in, without having to worry about pinching your fingers on a shell lifter. The action is also smooth. I will say it had issues loading shells from the magazine at first, but after several shells and snap caps, it's been perfect.

Grip cap of the gun.
    Last edited by TooBigToFit; December 6th, 2014 at 08:43 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: My new factory custom Ithaca 37 Featherlight (HUGE picture warning)

Looks good!

Look out ducks! Or clays, or whatever you plan on using it on.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Look at you, Mr. Fancypants!

I likey!
    Best wishes with your new pony!

Puts my '70's vintage Deerslayer to shame.

Damn! Sweet gun, bud! The engraving sets it apart from the crowd, nice stock too.

(Delaware County)

Congrats. 37s are great guns.

(Berks County)

Nice gun. I like the wood and deep blue. Thanks for the pictures, fun to look at.

(Montgomery County)

You are doing a disservice to that gun. Too much carpet.

(Bucks County)

An absolutely gorgeous gun. Definitely the best looking pump I've ever seen. I've never had an Ithaca, but my dad has one and loves it.

(Philadelphia County)

Nice!

I found an early 50s 37 featherlight at a gunshow years ago that I bought on a whim for 150.

After I did my research, I'm sooooo glad I did!
    interested in a cz kadet kit, if anyone's selling

(York County)

What a beauty!

I have a 37 in 16 Ga from the early 50s. It's well worn and the stock has a small crack but it shoots true and its action is smooth as silk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast