Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Lawn Mower + Snow plow?

Completely off topic but I'm in the market for a riding mower... tired of burning a day every other weekend mowing the grass.

I've heard some guys take the decks off and throw a plow on the front and push snow with it... does this actually work? Do I need a special model to make this happen? Any suggestions?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Lawn Mower + Snow plow?

Yes you can push snow with a mower. But you need to have one that has the guts behind it to do it. Preferably something with shaft drive to the trans. Stay out of home depot/lowes etc if you ever plan on doing anything other than mowing a VERY flat area of grass with your mower.

I work for a Cub Cadet/Simplicity dealer so if you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

(Northampton County)

I have front blades for my JD318 and JD214. The mower decks come off and the blades and wheel weights go on. I don't use chains on the tires, they both have bar tires. The 214 is a belt drive, but the tires break loose rather then the belts. I have a front mounted thrower for the 318, but don't use it.
    Get a garden tractor for sure, rather then a lawn tractor.

(Monroe County)

so since I'm looking in the 1200 range (give or take) I should probably just not bother with the plow?

I've got an acre of grass to cut and its on a good slope, a John Deere yard track works fine (I borrowed my buddies last year and it worked flawlessly all year
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

We had snow plows and leaf plows on out mowers for work. We used zero turn standers.

The wright stander is a BOMB ass mower, and you can get one used for about your price. It will last along time.

Probably a bit much for you're average homeowner. But I LOVE this mower. AND you can attach plows to it.

(Monroe County)

I have a husquavarna LGT 2654 from lowes. 54" Deck and a24 hp brigs and straton. I have a few acres of grass to mow and it does it in about an hour. I have a generic blade for the front and wheel wheights in the back with chains all around. My driveway is kindof steap and it plows like a champ. I have yet to stall the engine and i have pulled stumps and done all kinds of bad stuff to this thing. It set me back a few pennies but i think it was worth it. The drive is a belt driven hydro and the belt has never slipped. My dad has two old cub cadets from way back. Both shaft driven hydro. If you look on ebay you can pick one up cheap and get it running with some efort.

Get a garden tractor not a lown tractor.

(Monroe County)

your price range puts my mower out by about two. a used cub cadet could get your job done. i think this is the forum my dad spends his time on

http://64.150.160.108/cgi-bin/ihcc34....cgi?pg=topics

I used to do small engine and lawn/garden tractor repair on the side as kind of a hobby.

I wouldn’t say I was an expert, but I am knowledgeable.

First, you will need a heavy tractor to push snow. Wheel weights are a big plus. Chains aren’t recommended if you have a paved driveway, they will chew it up.

Next, the frame of the tractor needs to be strong enough to take the additional strain and abuse. Most of today’s tractors don’t have frames; they are just stamped sheet metal.

Now… If you are going to buy a new tractor for $1200 I would say nope, don’t even try. What you get is a broken frame (that stamped frame) in just two, maybe three seasons. Well it might last a bit longer, Fort Drum in Northern NY and we do get more snow than you do…

But if you are going to look for a used tractor (that is what I would do) you can get a very nice dependable tractor with frame and deck and plow for around a $1000. Cub cadet, the older ones and we are talking 20 years or older are very very good tractors and would suit your needs very well. Look for a name brand made in the 70s. they are around and they are three times the tractors they make today.

Oh, and don’t worry about Horse Power… it’s all hype. The power is in the gearing. I have a 8hp Speedex that will out work my 25hp Craftsman… I own right now a 1971,10hp Sears, great tractor and it does have a snow blade. A 1960s 8hp Speedex, no attachments. A 1961, 10hp Minneapolis Moline with deck, an a newer Craftsman 25hp, GT5000.

But I use an ATV to plow with…. It was a great excuse to get the ATV… but that is a whole different topic.
    <a href=http://militarysignatures.com target=_blank><a href=http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member623.png target=_blank>http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member623.png</a></a>

<a href=http://militarysignatures.com target=_blank><a href=http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member623.png target=_blank>http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member623.png</a></a>

The new tractors in your price range are all pretty light. If you plan on pushing snow with one, weight over the drive wheels is a must. Wheel weights, or a rear weight bracket are two ways to go about this. Another option is to have the rear wheels filled with fluid. Calcium is very corrosive. During my 7 years in that industry, I used wind shield washer solvent. Just the standard blue stuff. It won't freeze unless it is VERY cold. It is not near as corrosive on the steel wheels as calcium, and is less likely to kill your grass if you have a leak than calcium or antifreeze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast