Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Angry Savage series 60

Bought this used for my 14-year-old grandson. Looks like it's brand-new. Now I know the reason why, because when we went out to shoot it, it constantly jams. I did pick up an extra mag and it made no difference no matter what brand of ammo we used. My question is, is this thing even worth taking to a gun Smith for repair. Paid 100 bucks, but not willing to stick another 100 into it . Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Savage series 60

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Lehigh County)

I owned one Savage 60. The only ammo it ate was old Remington Kleenbore Standard Velocity ammo. If you used any other ammo, it jammed. The problem is finding the old ammo in today's market. The 60 isn't worth a whole lot and gunsmiths will charge what you paid for it and you already know this.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    Bought this used for my 14-year-old grandson. Looks like it's brand-new. Now I know the reason why, because when we went out to shoot it, it constantly jams. I did pick up an extra mag and it made no difference no matter what brand of ammo we used. My question is, is this thing even worth taking to a gun Smith for repair. Paid 100 bucks, but not willing to stick another 100 into it . Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Mine never gave me problems. But given what it is and it's value, I'd see about trading it in towards a 10/22. And God help you if you tear it down too far looking for the issue. It's a beast to reassemble, some smiths just won't do them. Apparently it needs a jig to line up the blahblahblah with the goesinta dohickie overlap whatca'macallit. But try a good cleaning, look around for obvious defects, maybe smack it with a mallet for good measure.

I had given mine to a young guy as his first gun when he turned 18. He had a blast until he gave "field stripping" a shot. Ergo my knowledge of the difficulties involved in looking too deep.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.