Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Huge Buck...What's wrong with this pic??

It would be a real bitch to be shot by a doe. Your "Obituary" woul read...Killed by a leaf eating brown eyed very hairy wicked nailed female".

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Back in the spring one evening I was riding my motorcycle on Boxcartown Rd in the Harrison City area and that sure looks like a buck I saw standing on the left side of the road in a field. Quite a rack on him!
    It looks like the same buck in the same area I almost hit in October. I was on my motorcycle on that road that runs alongside St. Barbara church to that credit union that is across from Giant Eagle, the detour while the bridge was closed. It was after dark and I had no time to react/brake.
    Scared the $h!+ out of me, I was really throttling 2nd gear up that little hill at the time...
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    This buck was killed (when hit by the second car) when attempting to cross back over the road onto the property owned by the Harrison City Fire department. Where the FD has their picnic area. Apparently the buck got hit by the car, was spun and went up to the residence and died in the front yard.

It's too bad a vehicle ended it's life instead of a archery hunter. OTOH, I know from living in this area there is a good gene pool for large rack bucks. I'm sure this big guy has passed on his gene's to other doe's this year and in previous years. More to come from this area.

FWIW

Dave
    It takes more than just good genetics to grow large deer, Pa has good genetics for the most part. What Pa lacks is the hunters mindset to "let them go, let them grow". I know plenty of hunters that will shoot the first thing they see, and this is the mindset of most Pa hunters. It's obvious by the size of that deer that the potential is here, they just need to live for 4 1/2+ years, but they don't in most places.

Some guys will start out looking for a trophy but that mentality quickly fades. It is however starting to improve but still has a long way to go. From 1995-2002 I shot 4 bucks in Pa during archery and 3 were 3 1/2 and 1 was 4 1/2, all were taken in northern butler county on property that got decent hunting pressure during gun season, but not enough pressure that the bucks are starting to get through the season more often and live longer, which was not the case when I first starting hunting there. A big buck years ago was a basket racked 1 1/2 year old 8 point that field dressed at 120#'s. All 4 of my bucks were over 220#'s live weight.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin Inhabitant View Post
    It looks like the same buck in the same area I almost hit in October. I was on my motorcycle on that road that runs alongside St. Barbara church to that credit union that is across from Giant Eagle, the detour while the bridge was closed. It was after dark and I had no time to react/brake.
    Scared the $h!+ out of me, I was really throttling 2nd gear up that little hill at the time...
    I'm pretty sure....well more than pretty sure that the buck you saw near St. Barbara was a different one. Could have been the same.....but late summer under an apple tree before you get to the "Crafty Shack" my wife and I were going out to Rt 22 and I saw a massive rack buck under that apple tree. He was still in velvet and he was a freight train of a deer. Again...could have been the same buck given the distance.....But my guess was they were different. The buck near the Crafty Shack was no where near as high of a rack. Still....a shoulder mount none the less.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Pa has good genetics for the most part.
    Except for most parts of Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Allentown, and more than a few others.

Just sayin'...
    - bamboomaster

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234