Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (York County)

Default Re: Cold feet are gone after 40 yrs of hunting

Good boots, Merino wool and poly socks with a foot powder, and maybe a toe warmer on cold days. I also suplement aspirin for improved circulation. If I don't have circulation, all the heat in the world won't take the numb away. Glad the heated insoles worked for you. Thinking about trying a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    Good boots, Merino wool and poly socks with a foot powder, and maybe a toe warmer on cold days. I also suplement aspirin for improved circulation. If I don't have circulation, all the heat in the world won't take the numb away. Glad the heated insoles worked for you. Thinking about trying a pair.
    I never thought about the aspirin, seems like a good idea.. I have tried all the socks, even broke down and bought some from Shenecks out montana years back, tried to powder, not much I haven't tried, simply because it been a life long issue since I was a kid.

The removable battery would be more convenient, for charging purposes. Then you could pretty much just cycle the batteries while you're hunting.

The insoles fit good, and there is no noticeable irregularities in the foot pad, I think it may have added a little to the inside of the boot. I plan on just using them when its cold, or hunting season, then swap the OEM insoles out..
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    I never thought about the aspirin, seems like a good idea.. I have tried all the socks, even broke down and bought some from Shenecks out montana years back, tried to powder, not much I haven't tried, simply because it been a life long issue since I was a kid.

The removable battery would be more convenient, for charging purposes. Then you could pretty much just cycle the batteries while you're hunting.

The insoles fit good, and there is no noticeable irregularities in the foot pad, I think it may have added a little to the inside of the boot. I plan on just using them when its cold, or hunting season, then swap the OEM insoles out..
    You have to watch which powder you buy. Many brands use variations on menthol to give feet that "cool" sensation in the summer. Once that gets in your boots and socks, that cool sensation turns into a frickin' cold sensation on a 20 degree day. And it doesn't wash out easily either. Probably pure talc or corn starch would be best without any additives. I wonder if anyone has done any experiments with topical vasodialators. A powder that contained that might work but I have no data on it.

(Tioga County)

I had to learn the hard way working in the outdoors a lot of the day in deep snow in the Rockies that cotton sucks. Once cotton gets wet, that's it you're done. I'd get my feet wet early in the morning and have to go a 16 hour work day with cold wet legs and feet. Usually didn't wear long underwear either.

I think it depends on what you are walking in but I think it's a tough balance finding a shoe or boot that breathes enough but doesn't let moisture in. I've tried lots of different things but still haven't found what I want yet. I have been pretty happen with Teva's products for regular shoes so I may try one of their ankle length boots for the winter.

For one thing starting out the day, I learned that boot driers are worth their weight in gold. Making sure the previous days wet or perspiration is dried out is essential.

Second, quality wool socks are worth it. I always have a second pair I can change out if need be.

Third, the legs have to stay warm. I found the best long underwear is made by Nordic Track and it's a stretchy lycra type material that dries quickly, is comfortable to wear and stays warm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12