Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Recommend me an AK47

I have always wanted an AK just because

Now I want to buy myself a gift. I know there are garbage ones out there as well as over the top excessively expensive ones

Recommend me good options

I am looking for a range toy, not a competition rifle. Minute of bad guy at 300 yards will keep me happy all day

I want a classic wood stock "just picked it up off the ground in Afghanistan" look. No composite stocks or fancy attatchments or other modernizations. Looking for a full stock, not a folder. I do not want to spend $2000 on a range toy.

Think Ruger AR556 level quality/reliability. (Not the best AR in the world but it works when you need it too and shoots straight). That is what I'm looking for.

And I'm in no hurry if there is something good that I'd have to wait to be restocked

Got a little bonus.... but it's not quite a "New HK MP5" level bonus

Thanks for any suggestions you have
    May the Schwartz Be With You

(Chester County)

Default Re: Recommend me an AK47

The 2 AKs that I would consider buying at this point are a WASR10 or a PSA AK47. There is a WASR10 package for sale in the poofa classifieds that is a good deal. The package includes the AK, mags and ammo, the WASR is valued at around $650 by my quick math and that is a good deal. The seller is digital05 from Nazareth and if you can get a meet up near Reading, it's about a 1 hour drive for both of you.

(Clearfield County)

Go onto gunbroker and look for "SAR-1's". They were made between 99 and 03 and are of solid military quality. They also go for around $650 now. Most new production rifles seem to be a real crapshoot as to whether or not they break relatively quickly.

(Philadelphia County)

New, then a WASR-10. Replace the furniture though, as the honey colored hardwood furniture has a reputation for cracking apart on the first range trip. From what I've been reading, the new production Radom Beryl rifles are very nice. Bulgarian Arsenal rifles used to be considered the standard, however they're now a crapshoot on quality and even nice Arsenals are overgassed. Not to mention K-Var only imports a handful of them as to artificially create demand.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Go onto gunbroker and look for "SAR-1's". They were made between 99 and 03 and are of solid military quality. They also go for around $650 now. Most new production rifles seem to be a real crapshoot as to whether or not they break relatively quickly.
    I second the SAR-1 comment, I have one and its a beater of a rifle that can't be stopped. Downside is that they were imported during the AWB-era, which means the barrels aren't threaded and the gas block lacks a bayonet lug. A decent gunsmith should be able to thread the barrel and install a gas block with the lug intact if you're so inclined. Another good rifle that isn't imported anymore is the Norinco MAK-90, a Chinese made AK that was imported with a thumbhole stock. The Russian import Saigas and Veprs are also very nice, but you will be paying a premium for them.

Make sure the rivets and sights are straight, and that there is a minimum of mag wobble when inspecting an AK; doesn't matter if new or used, check it regardless.

My SAR-1:

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    I have always wanted an AK just because
    I am looking for a range toy, not a competition rifle. Minute of bad guy at 300 yards will keep me happy all day

I want a classic wood stock "just picked it up off the ground in Afghanistan" look. No composite stocks or fancy attatchments or other modernizations. Looking for a full stock, not a folder. I do not want to spend $2000 on a range toy.
    If you want the "picked up off the ground look" Atlantic Firearms has been putting out some built kits on some Romanian kits
    https://atlanticfirearms.com/aam-romy-fixed-bfpu

As some of the others have said you need to check the rivets to ensure they are done right. Even some of the commie factories get them wrong. Canted sights are a thing so that's another thing to be on the look out for.

WASR-10s are reliable but the fit and finish will be less than some of the other ones out there.

Zastavas ( Zpap, don't go for an Npap or an Opap unless you do your research) are decent, built on a heavier receiver and use different pattern of furniture.

WBP Polish guns are going to be more money but will be better fit and finish. It's still an AK so don't get too high of hopes.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(York County)

Century Arms BFT47 Made well and also has really good maple stocks. Costs around $750 so not as cheap as some have listed above.

https://www.centuryarms.com/bft47-series

(York County)

Thank you, friends

(Chester County)

Before you buy any AK, check for an AK Owner's Union(AKOU) review on youtube by Robski. He does some good, long-term AK torture tests on lots of rifles

(Lackawanna County)

I'll third the SAR-1 recommendation. I have been very happy with mine for about 15 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by guncollector View Post
    Century Arms BFT47 Made well and also has really good maple stocks. Costs around $750 so not as cheap as some have listed above.

https://www.centuryarms.com/bft47-series
    Nobody should recomend a century built ak , all of them are prone to cracked/broken trunions including the bft.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast