Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Ohio police Sgt. formally reprimanded over open carry harrassment

I think that letters of commendation should be written to the police chief. We often hear criticism when we make a mistake, but rarely hear commendation for job well done. He should be made aware that people appreciate him standing up for the rights of the citizens.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by ohsee View Post
    I think someone should forward this to the Attorney General of PA. I'm sure the audio is what made this happen as well, as people could openly hear exactly how a law abiding citizen that complied with police was treated. The officers could deny nothing, and the ball was in their court to do something.

I'm glad that this is a step in the direction of possibly ZERO hassle to law abiding citizens of Ohio. That's the goal everywhere, so maybe this example can help other states do something similar. The lawsuits don't seem to be working in making other areas wise up, at least from my point of view.
    The lawsuits may be at the root of this. Even if he has not heard of specific cases, the chief and his superiors may have seen the potential for a lawsuit, and be trying to avoid it.

And I agree, someone should send a letter commending the officers involved for resolving this matter properly instead of closing ranks and insisting on being pricks.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

Dumb question... would secretly recording (audio or video) the conversation in PA be a violation of some sort of wire tapping law or something like that? I'm just curious because I'm sure informing the LEO that you're recording would certainly be met with, uhmm... an unpleasant response.

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post
    Dumb question... would secretly recording (audio or video) the conversation in PA be a violation of some sort of wire tapping law or something like that? I'm just curious because I'm sure informing the LEO that you're recording would certainly be met with, uhmm... an unpleasant response.
    Being that a man in Philadelphia was recently arrested for taking pictures of police with his cell phone camera I think you are right. Police, In Philly at least, Want no actual evidence of their actions recorded.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobbySomers View Post
    Being that a man in Philadelphia was recently arrested for taking pictures of police with his cell phone camera I think you are right. Police, In Philly at least, Want no actual evidence of their actions recorded.
    Please note though, that this man's actions were not illegal. Just upsetting to the PD.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

I just wonder what that sgt would have said about being recorded in Ohio.

(Franklin County)

Good question. Perhaps he'll be more aware of such a possibility in future encounters.

(Venango County)

Now that is an adult way to handle it, no matter what the motives may be.

And yes, that is a way to lower the risk of a lawsuit or at least minimize the damages. Unlike Dickson City, where their arrogance guarantees a lawsuit and a major one at that.

Further, I am not familiar with Ohio carry laws for OC. Is it similar to Pa.? And for the states that recognize OC, is this a possible way to carry in most or several of the states (viable option for travellers)?

So, if I OC on my motorcycle and accidentally hit a back road that takes me into Ohio (unknowingly) would I be safe?? I am always concerned as I am only one hour from the border and motorcycles and back roads go together like fresh bread and butter!
    Last edited by TaePo; July 5th, 2008 at 09:57 AM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post
    Dumb question... would secretly recording (audio or video) the conversation in PA be a violation of some sort of wire tapping law or something like that?
    secret audio recording is illegal.

secret video recording is legal.

strange, but that's how it is in PA...other states are different.

I'm just curious because I'm sure informing the LEO that you're recording would certainly be met with, uhmm... an unpleasant response.
    in the end, though, if your non-secret recording was not actually interfering with their performance of their duties, you will win in court...including possibly in your follow-up federal civil rights violation suit.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    secret audio recording is illegal.
    I disagree. The prohibition only applies to "Any oral communication uttered by a person possessing an expectation that such communication is not subject to interception under circumstances justifying such expectation." See 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 5702 - Title 18, Part II, Article F, Chapter 57, Subchapter A, and then the definition of 'oral communication' as used in the statute.

In a circumstance where there is no expectation of privacy, the recording is legal, even absent two-party consent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast