Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Reduced Recoil 12ga Rifle Slug Question

I am thinking of trying a few of these to off set some of the pounding the 12ga slug usually brings to the bench. My question is are they effective? Is the recoil reduction really noticeable? How is the performance?.....Thanks for any insight!

Default Re: Reduced Recoil 12ga Rifle Slug Question

I don't use slugs for anything near their full potential, so I can't speak to performance. As to recoil, night and day. The Federal RR slugs I use are closer to buckshot than to a regular slug, in terms of recoil. If you don't mind my making assumptions based on your other thread, you may want to use a gas gun rather than a bolt- I'd say the gun makes as much difference as the velocity of the slugs. Either way you are going to sacrifice a tiny bit of perfrmance, but having the right gun lets you choose from a wider variety of shells and still have manageable recoil.
    Last edited by win67; November 30th, 2014 at 06:41 PM.
    They even have minds but do not think. -Dov Fischer

(Bucks County)

If you are shooting an autoloader with a rifled barrel you should check a few out first to see if they cycle OK. The gas ports on my 11-87 barrel seem to be smaller than a standard barrel. It doesn't cycle low power slugs well.

If you have a pump your shoulder will thank you and whatever you hit will probably no know the difference (as long as its a good shot).

(Chester County)

I'm not frail by any meaning of the word but when I'm sighting in one of my big bore rifles or slug guns and have to take more than just a few shots I slip one of these on just because I am starting to bruise much easier as the older I get. This helps quite a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-Decel.../dp/B00542J1PO

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC