Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default For Glock experts

After my son died , I received a Glock19 from his safe. It appears he installed a lasermax (I believe) internal laser. From what I can gather, he replaced the spring and guide rod with the laser assembly. Here's the problem, I can't field strip the weapon and it appears from the scratches on the frame, neither could he. The gun functions, slide moves, trigger works, etc. Can't find switch for laser or the battery is dead. Because I didn't install anything, I have no clue as to what might be wrong inside. Has any one on the board installed this device or had any problems? Or, should I just give it to a gunsmith and let him swear at it?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: For Glock experts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnc View Post
    After my son died , I received a Glock19 from his safe. It appears he installed a lasermax (I believe) internal laser. From what I can gather, he replaced the spring and guide rod with the laser assembly. Here's the problem, I can't field strip the weapon and it appears from the scratches on the frame, neither could he. The gun functions, slide moves, trigger works, etc. Can't find switch for laser or the battery is dead. Because I didn't install anything, I have no clue as to what might be wrong inside. Has any one on the board installed this device or had any problems? Or, should I just give it to a gunsmith and let him swear at it?
    Stupid thing to ask, but i know i couldn't figure it out at first.. dry fire the weapon first then use the release level and slide the lever forward. If the release lever inside the gun is jammed use a punch on the two pins to try and loosen them up first.... If that doesn't work then i'm out of ideas... maybe someone smarter than I can step in here

‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

— James Earl Jones

(Allegheny County)

Johnc, i'm sorry for the loss of your son.

Here is a field strip "how to" from TopGlock. Hope it helps.

http://www.topglock.com/info/fieldstrip.htm

Sometimes after step 5, you may have to press the trigger to allow the slide to go forward.

I am not familiar with the laser and hope this helps.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Chester County)

The on switch for a laser max is the little take down buttons, there is one on either side of the gun in right above and a little front of the trigger. Push it side to side and that would turn it on and off.

Now to get the slide off you are going to triple sure the gun is empty. Dry fire the gun. Now pull the slide back about 1/4 of the way and pull down on both of those take down tabs at once and hold them and pull the slide forward that should allow it come right off.

If it does not work PM for my phone number and we can work through it together. I will be up for a little yet.
    Last edited by knighthawk06699; July 3rd, 2008 at 11:09 PM.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the replies..
    I made certain the glock was dry fired and not cocked. I can move the slide but I cant move the slide lever (above the trigger guard) down. It is very stiff moving side to side and the laser does not function. It will not move down only rocks like a toggle switch, one side up, the other side down.

Hope that makes sense.

(Bucks County)

Update...
    With a strong light and a magnifying glass, I was able to see a thin wire running front to back UNDER the slide release lever ( hence the rocking motion). Any ideas? Broken spring? Part of the recoil spring?

Got the sig line working...Thanks RockerFoot.

J

(Chester County)

Thanks for the replies..
    I made certain the glock was dry fired and not cocked. I can move the slide but I cant move the slide lever (above the trigger guard) down. It is very stiff moving side to side and the laser does not function. It will not move down only rocks like a toggle switch, one side up, the other side down.

Hope that makes sense.
    Yes they are very stiff, you need to pull both sides down at once and hold them. It is spring loaded so it will be stiff to pull down specially if the pistol is realiativly unfired. The laser batteries are probably dead. If would like to talk t me PM I will give you my number.

(Chester County)

Update...
    With a strong light and a magnifying glass, I was able to see a thin wire running front to back UNDER the slide release lever ( hence the rocking motion). Any ideas? Broken spring? Part of the recoil spring?

Got the sig line working...Thanks RockerFoot.

J
    No that is the wire to the on off switch!!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the replies..

Hope that makes sense.
    Johnc. Both sides have to be pulled down equally with the slide pulled back and inch or so.

Check to see there is no round in the chamber.

Dryfire the gun with the muzzle pointed at a safe direction.

Roll your grip hand so that the web of your thumb/forefinger is behind the backstrap and your 4 fingers are over the slide.

By squeezing your hand, the slide will open a bit. With the thumb and forefinger of your other hand, place them over the trigger guard from the underside of the trigger guard and onto each side of the slide lock at the same time.

This should allow the slide to travel forward a bit beyond the frame.

If the gunis stock, the slide should continue to come off.

I have a NY1 trigger and must pull the trigger to get the slide to completely come off.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

Wink Re: For Glock experts

Thanks, I'll give it a try again tomorrow and report my progress. For now, its off to bed.

Happy and safe 4th to everyone. Fly the colors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast